Keighley Cougars hold a fans forum. To answer questions about rumours.

Hang on.

They're still on League 1 distribution this season?

FFS. Is there any plan ever to equalise funding in the second tier?

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Hang on.

They're still on League 1 distribution this season?

FFS. Is there any plan ever to equalise funding in the second tier?

Even if there isn't, why isn't the central funding transparent or at least known?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Even if there isn't, why isn't the central funding transparent or at least known?

As far as I remember, the promoted teams have always got the League 1 funding equivalent ever since the imbalance was created at the launch of the 8s.

They must have known this in advance.

• Like 1

Central distribution in the championship is based on final league position (50%) plus performance against ROI criteria (50%) so can only be calculated at the end of the season. 

Keighley will still be on league 1 funding (£16k a year I think) but will also have prize money from last year for winning the league. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

As far as I remember, the promoted teams have always got the League 1 funding equivalent ever since the imbalance was created at the launch of the 8s.

They must have known this in advance.

I'm sure they will have known this, but its a bit odd that its not a publicly available formula/information.

Under the 8s I believe the League 1 funding was £75k and the lowest 2nd division side was £125k.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm sure they will have known this, but its a bit odd that its not a publicly available formula/information.

Under the 8s I believe the League 1 funding was £75k and the lowest 2nd division side was £125k.

It really is quite remarkable how rigged the Championship is in many ways

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It really is quite remarkable how rigged the Championship is in many ways

Oh yeah, to add to those numbers, the highest in the Championship was getting roughly £800k at the same time too.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Oh yeah, to add to those numbers, the highest in the Championship was getting roughly £800k at the same time too.

but that cant be right surely.. as we all know P&R is solely based on what happens on the field.. thats why it is so brilliant and must be kept.. it cant in anyway be unfair.. :kolobok_ph34r:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Nice fair Division going on. Lovely.

• Like 1

Keighley will have got the distribution as the 13th ranked team, which is more than the League 1 clubs. As has been said 50% of the distribution is based on ROI - crowds, finance, media, TV appearances and viewers, and governance. A League 1 club could, in theory, get more money than a Championship club if it shines in all the ROI areas.

Personally I think a larger distribution should be based on ROI and the remainder equally funded between the clubs.

Edited by the man
BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Central distribution in the championship is based on final league position (50%) plus performance against ROI criteria (50%) so can only be calculated at the end of the season. 

Keighley will still be on league 1 funding (£16k a year I think) but will also have prize money from last year for winning the league. 

Is there prize money for winning the league?

If so the RFL keep it very quiet.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nice fair Division going on. Lovely.

It is actually the thing in club rugby we should be angry about and is a far bigger deal than structure.

Each division should share out 90% of funding equally to all participating clubs at the start of the year, and hold over the rest as prize money.

That's all members. French, British, North, South.

• Like 7

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Why are the win bonuses not being paid in full and being kept in a pot? I assume they are then paid to the players as per what they would have been paid but this is losing the players interest (if in savings accounts/offset mortgages etc) or just general income... so what is behind the reasoning of holding on to part of them until the end of the season?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

That was under the 8's system. It all changed after that but Championship clubs also had their distribution reduced when SL was run as a separate organisation. The actual details nowadays seem to be hidden from view - why this is I don't know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Hang on. They're still on League 1 distribution this season? FFS. Is there any plan ever to equalise funding in the second tier?

I guess so, when money gets so scarce that every club outside Superleague gets an equal share of nowt..........

Corrections welcome....

8 minutes ago, RP London said:

Why are the win bonuses not being paid in full and being kept in a pot? I assume they are then paid to the players as per what they would have been paid but this is losing the players interest (if in savings accounts/offset mortgages etc) or just general income... so what is behind the reasoning of holding on to part of them until the end of the season?

I can only think they prefer to pay out a yearly bonus rather than weekly/monthly. I guess many businesses do this.

10 minutes ago, Dovster said:

I can only think they prefer to pay out a yearly bonus rather than weekly/monthly. I guess many businesses do this.

I would understand that if it was a common thing or was based on final league standings like many business bonuses are based on end of year targets etc. This would seem more akin to holding commission back as it is a contracted amount for the result at that moment. Its also a portion of it and not written into the contract, by the sounds of it, that they will keep a portion hence having to explain it to players (which really should have been done properly when they signed but is a minor misunderstanding and easily solved as they say). 

There may be very good reasons behind it, one I thought of was about club/RFL fines not being paid therefore its like a deposit.. but I'm just interested to know why as it doesn't seem to be the norm.

Edited by RP London

Fair play for having an open forum, that can only be a good thing.

I do have my reservations though, 2 halfbacks have left and have not been replaced, one injury and we're done.

Also the coaching set up, is there a process to appoint a new coach? With all respect to Jy-mel a coaching career that consists of being sacked as the Bronco's assistant coach doesn't inspire confidence.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Fair play for having an open forum, that can only be a good thing.

I do have my reservations though, 2 halfbacks have left and have not been replaced, one injury and we're done.

Also the coaching set up, is there a process to appoint a new coach? With all respect to Jy-mel a coaching career that consists of being sacked as the Bronco's assistant coach doesn't inspire confidence.

Agreed I also have reservations regarding the squad. A lot a pressure now on Chisholm and the youngsters.

26 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Seems to me they are v. professional owners 

Apart from when they're making fools of themselves at RFL meetings and in the media obvs.

• Like 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yes, a whopping £10k or so in league 1! Seems hardly worth the effort 😂

Hopefully its a little bit more as there is one less team to share it with now the West Wales Waiders have gone. That is of course if they have stopped that cheque.