Sun 18th Jun: CCQF: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 14:30 (BBC)

Who will win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/06/23 at 14:00

Matt Peet's daughters in a Father's Day pitch invasion!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Matautia is just terrible. Really, really terrible. He shouldn't be near SL, never mind in a top of table team. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Yeah Dave agree. I am a Wakey fan so totally neutral today. Saw Pete play half at Cas in past and he is terrible. To me Dufty is nowhere near for you guys. Why doesn’t he follow Williams and link in within the opposition red Zone. Baffling.

Can't help but think that Warrington would be a better balanced team with Ratchford in the halves and Matautia in the centre.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Wigan deserve a lot of credit to grind that out with 12 men for essentially the whole game. Warrington were just dreadful though. I think I'm going to confidently state at this point that it's not their year.

• Like 6

One of the oddest things I have seen today was that Matty P’s daughters were both wearing number 9 shirts. No one told them that Powell had been dropped… 

There are few teams with a bigger gap between their best and their worst performances as Wigan this year. Hero or zero and nothing in between. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is such a lack of use of our back 3 it has to be on Powell. Dufty looks dangerous but it's just when it's out of nothing. 

Of course having PM at 6 and poor centres hardly helps. 

Thewlis has all the potential to be a superb fullback & really should be playing there.

Just now, Davo5 said:

Thewlis has all the potential to be a superb fullback & really should be playing there.

I'm OK with him on the wing for now, he makes a lot of errors at 1. But he is developing nicely. He was good today. 

I've had a quick scan of the previous pages and not really seen his name mentioned much. Ethan Havard was the best player on the field and his performance was the best from a Wigan prop in years. Every carry he made was strong, every tackle he made was effective. When errors were forced Havard was pretty much always involved. With a man down he played about 65 minutes. What a difference a quality prop can make!

I'm glad that wasn't a 3pm kick off though because the rain in Wigan is absolutely biblical right now.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

I've had a quick scan of the previous pages and not really seen his name mentioned much. Ethan Havard was the best player on the field and his performance was the best from a Wigan prop in years. Every carry he made was strong, every tackle he made was effective. When errors were forced Havard was pretty much always involved. With a man down he played about 65 minutes. What a difference a quality prop can make!

I'm glad that wasn't a 3pm kick off though because the rain in Wigan is absolutely biblical right now.

Absolutely sensational!

The lad is such a good player but I don’t think he knows himself just how good he is and how good he could become. If he realises, believes in himself and really pushes himself, he can be anything. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Can't help bit think that Field and Dufty will have a big influence on how this pans out.

I think Field won this one on points but only because he was more involved than Dufty on the whole.  Although Dufty did look dangerous at times in broken play.

And not taking anything away from a gutsy win by Wigan, but what today's game showed more than anything is how far both of these two are behind Jack Welsby who has an outstanding passing game.

The lack of shape and execution from the shift plays today was startling.  Wigan weren't great but Wire were awful.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Wire very average . Awful under-1’s level pass from Matautia butchering that try 

Under-1's.  Not a strong running game from either team.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Absolutely sensational!

The lad is such a good player but I don’t think he knows himself just how good he is and how good he could become. If he realises, believes in himself and really pushes himself, he can be anything. 

Only hope we don’t burn the lad out & give him some better support next year  with some decent frontrowers brought into the club.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Only hope we don’t burn the lad out & give him some better support next year  with some decent frontrowers brought into the club.

Absolutely correct. Mago not trusted today and Singleton either not fit or not trusted to do more than 5 minutes. They’ll both go and to say we need better replacements is some understatement. Ellis let everyone down but I do like him and it’s just about getting the right support around him and Havard now. 

Dufty is a dangerous support player, but there was nothing happening in front of him where he could back up and cause problems. He isn't creative enough to help his halfbacks. Warrington desperately need Drinkwater back - Williams can't be expected to do everything himself, he can't give them enough options by himself.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

Warrington desperately need Drinkwater back - Williams can't be expected to do everything himself, he can't give them enough options by himself.

There was a moment in the first half when Williams threw a pass on the 4th tackle and was taken to ground.  His teammate was tackled and playing the ball while Williams was still untangling himself from the Wigan man.  He realised no-one was stepping up to receive the ball for a kick and so he had to rush to first receiver and get a rushed kick away.

Some may criticise Williams but when all the creativity goes through you, then you are easily marked and have to take every piece of responsibility.  He was in a tough position today.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There was a moment in the first half when Williams threw a pass on the 4th tackle and was taken to ground.  His teammate was tackled and playing the ball while Williams was still untangling himself from the Wigan man.  He realised no-one was stepping up to receive the ball for a kick and so he had to rush to first receiver and get a rushed kick away.

Some may criticise Williams but when all the creativity goes through you, then you are easily marked and have to take every piece of responsibility.  He was in a tough position today.

Plus Wigan, having trained him from youth level, know Williams' game better than any other club.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Plus Wigan, having trained him from youth level, know Williams' game better than any other club.

One of the major issues is that Williams is expected to do everything. And as much as he takes stick, he does his job very well. Relying on your scrum half for hard yards is never a great plan.