Fri 28th Jul: SL: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/07/23 at 19:30

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Came on here after catching up with the game to see how people enjoyed an exciting game of RL.

Turns out people just want to spend all their time whining about saints winning rather than commending a great effort.

Suppose that’s where four on the bounce leaves you.

A Saints fan complaining about people whining 😆

I'm very disappointed it was the poor version of Leeds that turned up for that game because St Helens were there for the taking, in a manner that would have put it beyond any Liam Moore/Paul Wellens influence. 

The chronically slow play the balls and the mess of the ruck area desperately need fixing, it was painful to watch that game at times.

Nevertheless Leeds should have won it and until Rohan Smith works out how to switch their attack on for every game they're going to be stuck. 

As for Cam Smith his performance was mystifying to the degree that I'm almost sure he was playing with a knock or an injury. It's by far the worst I've seen from him in recent years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jughead said:

Bell falling. Nothing on Asiata’s four attacks. 

Saints fans. Jesus. That deluded can’t even acknowledge the tackle was identical, FWIW I think it’s legal as was Asiata’s but didn’t stop Wellens having a meltdown or the redvee claiming he tried to vindictively injure players.

2 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Came on here after catching up with the game to see how people enjoyed an exciting game of RL.

Turns out people just want to spend all their time whining about saints winning rather than commending a great effort.

Oh the irony after how many pages of Saints fans moaning last week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, M j M said:

A Saints fan complaining about people whining 😆

I'm very disappointed it was the poor version of Leeds that turned up for that game because St Helens were there for the taking, in a manner that would have put it beyond any Liam Moore/Paul Wellens influence. 

The chronically slow play the balls and the mess of the ruck area desperately need fixing, it was painful to watch that game at times.

Nevertheless Leeds should have won it and until Rohan Smith works out how to switch their attack on for every game they're going to be stuck. 

As for Cam Smith his performance was mystifying to the degree that I'm almost sure he was playing with a knock or an injury. It's by far the worst I've seen from him in recent years.

Yeah those saying Cam Smith is rubbish are way off the mark, he was poor last night but I actually think that’s down to the halves as they seemed to be just waiting to see what happened rather than organising the attack, which led to Smith trying to sort that out and not play his usual game.

Its funny how quickly fans change opinion after losses/wins, there were a lot of Leeds fans (who seem to be one of if not tge most fickle in the game) berating the club for not signing Austin up on whatever terms after s couple of decent games.

Well both him and Sezer can go for me, until we sort out the halfbacks and then get a replacement for Myler we won’t be winning anything.

Oh and Rohan Smith is absolutely spot on about the Ruck its an absolute shambles in SL and actually ruining the spectacle a lot, its just a lottery as to what’s a penalty/six again/knock on etc

Take the sezer one at the end, he gets up plays the ball with his foot correctly, then gets pushed over - knock on, Eh?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Carney bottled it at the final whistle interviewing Wellens, it was Carney who brought it up at half time and highlighted the Bell tackle with video evidence, nothing wrong with it but it would have been good to have heard Wellens thoughts.

I was waiting for them to ask him about it too but it was almost like a celebration of Saints winning post match, maybe they forgot not everyone was wanting a Saints win?

I reckon someone had a word in his ear and told him not to mention it as it would spoil the evening's narrative of hard done to Saints or cause even more controversy so they decided to not go there, either that or they couldn't cope with another Wellens breakdown as he squirmed his way out of it?, still a poor do when we've just had 3 hours of discussing and mentioning that type of tackle to ignore one in the very game they are covering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yeah those saying Cam Smith is rubbish are way off the mark, he was poor last night but I actually think that’s down to the halves as they seemed to be just waiting to see what happened rather than organising the attack, which led to Smith trying to sort that out and not play his usual game.

Its funny how quickly fans change opinion after losses/wins, there were a lot of Leeds fans (who seem to be one of if not tge most fickle in the game) berating the club for not signing Austin up on whatever terms after s couple of decent games.

Well both him and Sezer can go for me, until we sort out the halfbacks and then get a replacement for Myler we won’t be winning anything.

Oh and Rohan Smith is absolutely spot on about the Ruck its an absolute shambles in SL and actually ruining the spectacle a lot, its just a lottery as to what’s a penalty/six again/knock on etc

Take the sezer one at the end, he gets up plays the ball with his foot correctly, then gets pushed over - knock on, Eh?

Wasn't you championing Austin after the game at Leigh Chris?

40 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I was waiting for them to ask him about it too but it was almost like a celebration of Saints winning post match, maybe they forgot not everyone was wanting a Saints win?

I reckon someone had a word in his ear and told him not to mention it as it would spoil the evening's narrative of hard done to Saints or cause even more controversy so they decided to not go there, either that or they couldn't cope with another Wellens breakdown as he squirmed his way out of it?, still a poor do when we've just had 3 hours of discussing and mentioning that type of tackle to ignore one in the very game they are covering.

My thoughts to Daz about Carney being clammed up, not like him to avoid a bit of verbal confrontation is it, unless of course like Wilkin and Amor he has a picture of Wello on his bedroom wall.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t remember that, but even if so that’s a long time ago, id possibly give him a year if we can’t replace him but no more.

21st April you wrote:-

Austin is leeds biggest threat at the moment which his backed up by his try assist stats.

Watched this on catch up this morning, good game, noticed more players moaning at ref then I've seen before at RL. A growing trend? 

Edited by HawkMan

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

21st April you wrote:-

Austin is leeds biggest threat at the moment which his backed up by his try assist stats.

Thats me stating facts, that’s not me saying we should give him a 2 year deal. And you’ll notice the phrase ‘at the moment’ 

The fact that an ageing half at the back end of his career is our biggest threat is the issue im alluding to.

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I must admit I do find the anti Saints thing weird from a lot of people, is it down to recent success?

I don't watch the Sky games so can't comment on the game but it seems like it was a bit of a battle and Saints showed some determination to win the game?

Very weird, I even unfollowed most of the Facebook RL pages over the obsession with either referees, St Helens or Huddersfield's seats.

Although, in fairness, some St Helens fans, like most clubs' fans don't help themselves.

RL fans can be a weird bunch

Edited by meast
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tippytoe said:

No Trolling!

Regards Mr Drake

Oh it's a saints fan.

As you were.

The person whose post you quoted above was one of those booted off the site last night for trolling, so you can get back in your box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, Hopie said:

Aye, second question, in particular the body language says a lot.

He's spot on and for much of that interview he could have been talking about the Huddersfield v Hull game the night before. Two close contests marred by the absolute mess that is the PTB in Super league.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

5 hours ago, binosh said:

Saints fans. Jesus. That deluded can’t even acknowledge the tackle was identical, FWIW I think it’s legal as was Asiata’s but didn’t stop Wellens having a meltdown or the redvee claiming he tried to vindictively injure players.

Not all of us. I thought Bell’s tackle was just as dangerous as Asiata’s, and I’d like to see that kind of tackle out of our game, as I do think it’s dangerous. 

but I agree that a lot of Saints fans are demonstrating some really astonishing double-standards over this. Embarrassing, tbh. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, WN83 said:

I hate to say it but I can’t help but think back to a Kyle Amor comment a few weeks ago about Saints needing a narrative to work with in terms of going for 5 in a row. He said it could be people writing them off due to poor form but now Walmsley and Paasi are done, I actually think that could strengthen your resolve. That side tonight wouldn’t win a GF but it could with Batchelor, Sironen, Matautia and LMS back in there. I think you’re probably more dangerous now, with some adversity, then you would’ve been going in to the play offs with a full strength team and in great form. 

Yep - agreed. If Saints can get to the playoffs with Sironen and Batchelor in the team, as well as LMS, we could be very dangerous. Plenty of big game experience in the pack with those guys back; and we won it without Walmsley last year. Catalan are my favourites but I would not bet against us. 

17 hours ago, Chris22 said:

We seemed to have a lot more spark in attack tonight. Dodd took the line on more, we had more runners and looked generally quicker compared to being a bit pedestrian in recent weeks.

Agreed on Dodd. I suspect his confidence is shot after his horrific injury last year. But better last night. Still made some wrong choices and ran down a couple of blind alleys but it was much better - probably helped by that change in tactics as you highlight. 

• Like 1

What a great win which i think is the best of the season for us. When the team news was announced i didn’t have any faith whatsoever but we hung in there and got the points. Makinson’s kicking is poor at times, Saints desperately need a kicker. Sam Royle had a decent game his best at the club but i still wouldn’t offer him a new deal. Hopoate had a great game it’s just a pity he has no pace anymore, but he has a great passing game. 
Walters is a fantastic player for Leeds, they must be disappointed with losing him. Martin always scores tries against Saints as well.