Beaumont on BBC TV Breakfast

Surely its more about what you say than what you wear, especially when it comes to RL, we get little enough press as it is and that was a very good interview not just for Leigh but for the game in general.  Well done Derek

• Like 6

Here we go again .....

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

"could you imagine Leneghan or Davy"

Er.....yes..I did imagine it...not as good as Bowmunt, though.

Lenagan, though, is a different proposition to your Leneghan. Ok, he's not out at the front waving the flag for Wigan. He is, though, quitely competent, real long term business achievement record with real money.  

But Beemint is learning and as the club progresses, he'll be called on to find the skill needed to sustain success.

It's all good fun though.👍👍🐆🐆

To be fair if I'm not sure Lenegan or Davy would be the "faces" of their respective clubs in a similar situation - a few years ago you could have sent Anthony Gelling on for Wigan, he'd have made for some interesting TV!

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Everything on the Web and the RL programmes and blogs seems to be Leigh and Mr Beaumont, true he is a larger than life Character but he is also charismatic and one of the most generous and good hearted men about and especially in RL circles.

The BBC have had an opportunity every year to promote the game in this manner but not had the people to put in front of the camera's to sell the game, could you imagine Leneghan or Davy from last year, they would have not got peoples interest.

Got to feel for Mr Hudgell he will be the bridesmaid of the two owners at thd final, now the Leigh team have got to go out and do it, and not let HKR do the talking for their boss.

Actually this is Mr Peters motivation right here, all the spotlights and expectation is on Leigh let's go out and spoil their day.

Degsy generally gets the game positive column inches something the game desperately needs

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

He did a brilliant job, got a lot of the keynotes in - not just about the final, and the stories around it, but the game more broadly. That's no accident. Well prepared, clear objective to communicate and sell. I've prepped a load of business people for TV and radio spots and that was a 10/10. 

The game needs more Derek Beaumonts. 

100% the game needs more like him

Perhaps the RFL could find him a part time job along with his own business in their marketing department. He would certainly shake things up for sure

10 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

To be fair to Ian he's quite a good communicator in all situations too, can't speak for Mr Davy. There's many styles. 

That's not what Neil's interested in, or what he's ever seen his role at with Rovers. He's not that kind of leader. He just wanted Rovers to survive, and had the resilience to do the hard yards to re-build the club slowly. That's why he's the right bloke to save the lives of hundreds of Postmasters who'd had them ruined by the Post Office. More than a decade of grind, but did it in the end. Horses for courses eh. If I needed to sell something quick, I'd hire Derek. If I needed someone to stick with me for years, and help me back up, I'd call Neil Hudgell. 

I agree in that Lenagan is a good communicator. Not so sure about Leneghan (sic) though.🙂

• Confused 1

Nice segment. Good on him!

Hudgell is playing the silent spoiler to Degsy's charismatic personality.

Glad that two such men who have given so much to their respective clubs get to walk them out at Wembley.

Not a fan of the jerseys for the final, but they are certainly different to the traditional red and white!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I agree in that Lenagan is a good communicator. Not so sure about Leneghan (sic) though.🙂

I said he was, I didn’t say my written communication skills were any betterer than the next man [sic]

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

6 hours ago, Gomersall said:

That’s neat 😂

That's neat.

I...

• Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

39 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I said he was, I didn’t say my written communication skills were any betterer than the next man [sic]

It's Harry wot mentioned someone called Leneghan, whoever he may be.

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's Harry wot mentioned someone called Leneghan, whoever he may be.

We’ve now established I can’t read nor comprehend either 🤣

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

15 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Perhaps the RFL could find him a part time job along with his own business in their marketing department. He would certainly shake things up for sure

Hell no !!!

He may be generating media interest but it isn't always a good thing. The whole leopards branding looks cheap & tacky and a grown man prancing round in his pussy suit looking like one of Bet Lynch's cast off's isn't a good look.

RL has a bad enough image problem as it is outside the heartlands without being made to look tacky and amateurish.

• Haha 3

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

32 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Hell no !!!

He may be generating media interest but it isn't always a good thing. The whole leopards branding looks cheap & tacky and a grown man prancing round in his pussy suit looking like one of Bet Lynch's cast off's isn't a good look.

RL has a bad enough image problem as it is outside the heartlands without being made to look tacky and amateurish.

Still not got over the semi then I guess !!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, The Future is League said:

100% the game needs more like him

He's a salesman, not a marketing guy. He's doing a great job of selling Leigh to the Leigh catchment. That cannot be denied. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andrewj said:

Still not got over the semi then I guess !!

Look back to the pre-season threads, I said I thought the rebranding was cheap & tacky back then and its got steadily worse with Beaumont & his pussy suit

• Haha 4

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 hours ago, The Future is League said:

He gets the game positive column inches. Not many people are doing that in the game at the moment

Even if that were true, column inches isn't marketing. The guys is a salesman and doing a good jod of it too. To translate him into some sort of professional marketing wizard is to misunderstand him.

Another piece on the BBC.  As I have said before, you wouldn't get me in a leopard print car but he is certainly making Rugby League more visible. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/66474010

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Another piece on the BBC.  As I have said before, you wouldn't get me in a leopard print car but he is certainly making Rugby League more visible. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/66474010

Degsy and his leopard print seems to have been the only thing to really cut through so I'll happily take him prancing him about and getting eyeballs when the only alternative is invisibility.

• Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)