Vegas baby!!

On 25/11/2023 at 19:59, Anita Bath said:

Its that time of year when nfl has finished and before baseball has started. NHL is at the business end of the season but its viewing figures in US are poor. So just the NBA to go up against.

That's good. I'm really interested in what American viewers make of this, especially those that normally watch American Football on Fox.

On 24/11/2023 at 15:30, The Rocket said:

Some chatter as well that the USA team may get a place in the Pacific Bowl tournament at some stage.

Good grief. They'd have to stabilise and beat Jamaica for a start.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Technicalities.

It would be so like the IRL though to give that absolute dumpster fire of an organisation a leg up while completely ignoring the rest of us.

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

It would be so like the IRL though to give that absolute dumpster fire of an organisation a leg up while completely ignoring the rest of us.

I think IRL and NRL are probably interchangeable here. HST, if the NRL get any traction with the Vegas venture, they might seek to capitalise by fostering/promoting any sort of USA team by including them in our Pacific tournaments. I don`t know in that case if Hawaii could host some of the American`s games.

All fits in with America`s and Australia`s plan for increased engagement with the Pacific nations though, something I`m sure V`landys mentioned to Biden when they met recently.

I'm excited by this, and if I was younger with fewer commitments it's absolutely the kind of thing I'd fly over for. 

But the media snippets are making me smile a little. I'm not sure we need to go over the top with claims of 65k and tens of millions of viewers. A crowd half that and a couple of hundred thousand of US tv viewers is more likely. And that would be a great start. 

Just now, Dave T said:

But the media snippets are making me smile a little. 

BUT V'LANDYS MET THE PRESIDENT

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm excited by this, and if I was younger with fewer commitments it's absolutely the kind of thing I'd fly over for. 

But the media snippets are making me smile a little. I'm not sure we need to go over the top with claims of 65k and tens of millions of viewers. A crowd half that and a couple of hundred thousand of US tv viewers is more likely. And that would be a great start. 

Yeah I`m excited and nervous about the whole thing, I think it will be a terrible look if the place is only half-full, but if what @Yakstormis reporting in the Aussie forums today (and he is very good with this stuff) that they are opening higher tiers and there has been good sales in those tiers immediately and a possibility of up to 23 000 tickets sold already, and that`s even before the official launch, is pretty promising.

A full or close to full house and the players will put on a better show and probably anyone that tunes in will stay tuned in.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah I`m excited and nervous about the whole thing, I think it will be a terrible look if the place is only half-full, but if what @Yakstormis reporting in the Aussie forums today (and he is very good with this stuff) that they are opening higher tiers and there has been good sales in those tiers immediately and a possibility of up to 23 000 tickets sold already, and that`s even before the official launch, is pretty promising.

A full or close to full house and the players will put on a better show and probably anyone that tunes in will stay tuned in.

I got faith in Peter V'Landy wanting and getting a near full house.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

HERE'S the Ticketmaster seat map for anyone that way inclined.

Block 339 for us! 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Better tell the Aussies that no one else on earth knows what spruik means.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Update on ticket sales provided by @Yakstorm:

"Some pretty solid sales since Friday, especially on the middle tier. Updated numbers:

- Lower Bowl: 13,250 (Excluding middle bays)
- Middle Tier: 3,750
- Top Tier: 2,600

"Puts sales between 19,600 and 25,200 depending how many tickets have been sold in the 10 sideline bays."

The question I want answered is, who is buying these tickets, I find it very hard to believe that 20 000 plus Aussies have already bought tickets to this event. Could we be already getting a bit of interest from the locals.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

"Some pretty solid sales since Friday, especially on the middle tier. Updated numbers:

"Puts sales between 19,600 and 25,200 depending how many tickets have been sold in the 10 sideline bays."

The question I want answered is, who is buying these tickets, I find it very hard to believe that 20 000 plus Aussies have already bought tickets to this event. Could we be already getting a bit of interest from the locals.

Where is this reported, Rocket? You said "Aussie forums" above, but not that I can see on TRL?

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

20,000 Aussies arriving in Las Vegas on the same weekend!

That's a lot of aeroplanes, isn't it? (gut feeling). 

I don't know  much about international air travel but that seems like a lot, to me. Especially if they are all travelling from one or two Australian airports.

Surely a good number of those tickets must have been bought by Americans? 

Aussies, Brits (I looked at it and I never go past the end of my street), South Sea Islander immigrants to the US and locals. There's every chance it'll be a sell out. Especially with three months left to sell the tickets.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

50 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Aussies, Brits (I looked at it and I never go past the end of my street), South Sea Islander immigrants to the US and locals. There's every chance it'll be a sell out. Especially with three months left to sell the tickets.

The UK may use different terminology however in Australia South Sea Islanders are generally the Australian based descendants of Pacific Islanders who were tricked or kidnapped to work in Queensland sugar cane fields. In the US it’s most likely Pacific Islander immigrant communities.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Copa said:

The UK may use different terminology however in Australia South Sea Islanders are generally the Australian based descendants of Pacific Islanders who were tricked or kidnapped to work in Queensland sugar cane fields. In the US it’s most likely Pacific Islander immigrant communities.

Ta.

• Like 1

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I don't know  much about international air travel but that seems like a lot, to me. Especially if they are all travelling from one or two Australian airports.

I like the exclamation mark after " 20 000 Aussies ...on the same weekend" mate, it does sound like an awful lot at once but as someone else said that`ll be staggered over several days/weeks most likely.

Don`t know much about air travel myself Irish, never left the country and only been on a plane thrice, the first of those it never even left the ground, and that wasn`t because of me screaming " let me out of here, we`re all gonna die". 🥵

I googled it and it said there`s about 100 00k Australians living in the US, not a lot, yeah so I`m wondering too, who`s buying those tickets, maybe a few septics. LOL, do you have `septic tanks` in Pommy Land or do you call them something else, septic tanks that is.

Edited by The Rocket
addition

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

To see teams from places they never heard of playing a sport they never heard of?  Rather doubtful.