Trouble at t'mill?

On 05/09/2023 at 13:22, Curly perm said:

Kai Morgan looks to be going to Salford and I’ve heard other youngsters are pondering SL deals elsewhere having not made their debuts yet. Which youngster’s deciding they don’t want to play for Leeds having gone through the academy? It’s all they want to do…I’m a Wakey fan and appreciate that. Something’s not right. 

How many Championship games has Morgan played? Never mind Super League.

On 06/09/2023 at 16:38, Harry Stottle said:

I have not been following the academies for the simple reason that my team were denied one, but I believe there are great strides and even ultimatums being delivered for them to have a Grade 1 Academy next season.

This is nonsense.

• Confused 1

On 06/09/2023 at 21:21, Tippytoe said:

No straight no I've lost all confidence in the youth system even more so the last 12 months I can't think of a period when more potential (good prospects) have been shipped on or decided they have a better chance somewhere else the in ability to further develop said players is disappointing to say the least. 

I only asked this question because we have two teenage ex-Leeds players with York Knights (Oli Field and Levi Edwards) who opted out of Leeds this season to go a Championship side, rather than just going out on loan. 

I'm not making any special claim on these two players, but they had obviously got the signal quite early that they were well down the pecking order amongst Leeds juniors. I would expect players rated higher than them to be very good prospects, and to be knocking on the door for 1st team appearances. How is this apparent embarrassment of riches manifesting itself in the Rhinos senior squad ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RBKnight said:

I only asked this question because we have two teenage ex-Leeds players with York Knights (Oli Field and Levi Edwards) who opted out of Leeds this season to go a Championship side, rather than just going out on loan. 

I'm not making any special claim on these two players, but they had obviously got the signal quite early that they were well down the pecking order amongst Leeds juniors. I would expect players rated higher than them to be very good prospects, and to be knocking on the door for 1st team appearances. How is this apparent embarrassment of riches manifesting itself in the Rhinos senior squad ?

Riley Lumb in the 21 squad for 1st time hope he gets a chance, also I think if a young player has a dream debut it can sometimes be the catalyst for them confidence wise to really kick on and if they have a stinker it can mean them been looked at in a different light and not getting a look in for ages or never again,hope the lads you mentioned go well for York. 

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, V02 said:

How many Championship games has Morgan played? Never mind Super League.

So develop them for 4yrs and just let them all go if they’re not in the first team by 18? Seems sensible.

Leeds’ academy grand final winning team are getting better offers and planned pathways to first teams from elsewhere in SL. 

14 hours ago, V02 said:

There are no strides or ultimatums. 

I can assure you there are which you don't know about, and Leigh are well within their rights to challenge the decision not to grant them an academy licence, bolux to the fact that Saints,  Wigan and Warrington see Leigh as a good shopping area for junior player's.

13 hours ago, Curly perm said:

So develop them for 4yrs and just let them all go if they’re not in the first team by 18? Seems sensible.

Leeds’ academy grand final winning team are getting better offers and planned pathways to first teams from elsewhere in SL. 

Not every player who plays academy will progress to SL. Morgan is confortably behind Sinfield and McCormack who are both younger. They can't all stay.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I can assure you there are which you don't know about

You're making things up. This has nothing to do with Leigh.

Edited by V02

13 hours ago, Curly perm said:

Leeds academy players have always gone on to play for other clubs, this isn’t a new thing or a suggestion of ‘trouble at mill’.

Morgan is behind some other players so his opportunities will be limited, he isn’t the first or the last to hat it will happen to.

1 hour ago, V02 said:

Not every player who plays academy will progress to SL. Morgan is confortably behind Sinfield and McCormack who are both younger. They can't all stay.

You're making things up. This has nothing to do with Leigh.

Why should I make things up? Would it upset the apple cart if Leigh had an academy, and please give me a good reason why they should not have one.

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:
1 hour ago, V02 said:

This has nothing to do with Leigh.

Why should I make things up? Would it upset the apple cart if Leigh had an academy, and please give me a good reason why they should not have one.

This thread is literally nothing to do with Leigh no matter how hard you try to introduce the subject.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nobody is talking about Leigh. You were talking nonsense about Leeds losing theirs.

• Like 1

Didn't we have all this a few years back when Leeds fanswere claiming they were in transition with all the stuff about training pitches being a problem etc and Brian McDermott being the issue and when the next group of academy players come through then they will be top dogs again?

For a club as big as Leeds are with their medal hauls, support base, finances etc then surely they shouldn't be struggling like they have been for the last few years?

1 hour ago, JT RL said:

How would the potential sale of Headingley affect the rugby league club ?

What potential sale? I thought that ship had sailed about 25 years ago. It certainly isn't going to happen after so much has been spent redeveloping both the rugby and cricket ground.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

What potential sale? I thought that ship had sailed about 25 years ago. It certainly isn't going to happen after so much has been spent redeveloping both the rugby and cricket ground.

Cricket club are up for sale apparently

47 minutes ago, meast said:

Didn't we have all this a few years back when Leeds fanswere claiming they were in transition with all the stuff about training pitches being a problem etc and Brian McDermott being the issue and when the next group of academy players come through then they will be top dogs again?

For a club as big as Leeds are with their medal hauls, support base, finances etc then surely they shouldn't be struggling like they have been for the last few years?

Depends on your definition of struggling, the results on the field have dropped off by a huge margin in the last 10-15 years no doubt.

From a business point of view they aren't in any trouble,  the crowds haven't fallen that much and there are plenty of other income streams, the salary cap doesn't really ever go up so expenditure is steady, whilst the ground improvements are all finished.

As a fan looking for trophies, not that great. As a club owner/director why change strategy? 

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Cricket club are up for sale apparently

But surely unless a complete asset stripper manages to take them over there is no chance of them selling the cricket side of Headingley and moving elsewhere (and even at that with the loans and shared assets you'd imagine it would be practically impossible to sell and make money anyway). After the redevelopment it seems daft.

Edited by Damien

1 hour ago, Damien said:

But surely unless a complete asset stripper manages to take them over there is no chance of them selling the cricket side of Headingley and moving elsewhere (and even at that with the loans and shared assets you'd imagine it would be practically impossible to sell and make money anyway). After the redevelopment it seems daft.

Mike Ashley has been mentioned...

But yes I agree with your general premise