Fri 8th - Sun 10th Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

9 hours ago, DEANO said:

Would make it even more interesting for the final 2 games don’t you think

If you're suggesting that the Bash has somehow spoilt things, that's just how the results have fallen this year. Another year, it might make it even more exciting.

I'm not a big Bash fan. If it makes money, keep it. If it doesn't dump it. It wouldn't bother me either way.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Seems to me the relegation battle is going to hinge on Swinton-Whitehaven next week. Can't see Cougars winning another game, especially with Fax and London still in the play-off hunt. If Swinton win, it'll come down to who loses by most on the last day - Cougars at London or Haven at home to on-the-beach Toulouse.  If we go down, it's our own fault. We've pathologically refused to accept the possibility ever since Lovegrove went.  We've picked up a bit but will be no match for Fax or London.

13 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Quick look suggests York would move up 1 place to 8th. Only team to benefit by moving into the play offs would be 'fax (7th to 5th) at the expense of Batley (6th to 7th). Other teams to move would be Bradford (5th to 6th) and Widnes (8th to 9th).

Let's do it❗😀

17 hours ago, Leonard said:

Worst case with away fans you are probably looking at a shortfall of 2.5k to 3k over some sides that have been in SL recently. He could fund that. 

As to whether he would fund that and a completely new squad of 25 players and whether you could get those in and whether you would want to is a different issue.

Of course a honeymoon period in SL would help - but the other chairman won't grant that and even if IMG pushed it - they are too self centred and would be happy to have a team guaranteed to go down.

I doubt many if any of the current squad would want to go FT.

all the squad would relish going back into SL and full time rugby

12 hours ago, r1ch1e said:

First Broncos game since they moved to Wimbledon today and thought they looked really good. A big team on the whole, and that contributed to some fairly soft scores up the middle. I would guess at a crowd of 1200, with 250 Widnes, but nothing to compare to so could be way out.

yep easily 1200....and i thought widnes fans were great fun. a friendly bunch in the bar 👍

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Keighley,

It always confused me as a young kid, I could not get my head around why the town I came from LEIGH is pronounced LEE, and KEIGHLEY as a prominent TH in the pronunciation.

If you'd spent any time there, you would have found out. It gives the locals an excuse to start a fight with anybody who obviously doesn't come from Keighley.

It's twin-towned with both Dodge City and, just in case, Palestine.

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

40 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

If you'd spent any time there, you would have found out. It gives the locals an excuse to start a fight with anybody who obviously doesn't come from Keighley.

It's twin-towned with both Dodge City and, just in case, Palestine.

Ahh !! the standard Bradford lies. I think one should really look closer to home, have you never wondered why Braford has so many £5 car wash's (drug fronts) in such a concentrated area? It's that rife It's rumoured that Pablo Escobar was jealous.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 40yearsatlondon said:

yep easily 1200....and i thought widnes fans were great fun. a friendly bunch in the bar 👍

Although it looks better on the highlights I'd still prefer to be one main stand with the nice big bar etc 

Either way unless Broncos get promoted this year I suspect they won't be at Wimbledon much longer 

Just now, Wolford6 said:

NB1: I work with some Keighley people ... always good for a bit of banter.

NB2: Northamptonshire  must have had a really useless council. It's beaten Bradford in the race to Bankruptcy. Mind you, every Bradford Council scheme is completed at least six months over schedule.

50 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Ahh !! the standard Bradford lies. I think one should really look closer to home, have you never wondered why Braford has so many £5 car wash's (drug fronts) in such a concentrated area? It's that rife It's rumoured that Pablo Escobar was jealous.

It's called enterprise. Drug dealing is subsidising the major car washing industry.

😉

17 hours ago, r1ch1e said:

First Broncos game since they moved to Wimbledon today and thought they looked really good. A big team on the whole, and that contributed to some fairly soft scores up the middle. I would guess at a crowd of 1200, with 250 Widnes, but nothing to compare to so could be way out.

Seen a figure of just under 1,100 on the Widnes forum.  

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Keighley,

It always confused me as a young kid, I could not get my head around why the town I came from LEIGH is pronounced LEE, and KEIGHLEY as a prominent TH in the pronunciation.

Leigh rhymes with weigh.

People from Leigh are called Leythers, not Leethers.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 hours ago, Griff said:

If you're suggesting that the Bash has somehow spoilt things, that's just how the results have fallen this year. Another year, it might make it even more exciting.

I'm not a big Bash fan. If it makes money, keep it. If it doesn't dump it. It wouldn't bother me either way.

Certainly am suggesting it spoils the whole league. Might as well draw the points out of a hat

• Like 2

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

55 minutes ago, Griff said:

Leigh rhymes with weigh.

People from Leigh are called Leythers, not Leethers.

It is most definatley like Lee not Weigh. 

Didn't say we are Leethers, I have spent a lifetime whilst travelling the country in my job, trying to educate people in the pronunciation of how to say Leythers, I should have had a programme on the wireless it would have been easier😉

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1