Championship Meeting

30 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Well i remembered and have just checked that you said  "I'm happy with the status quo. I don't believe that a nine club division is significantly worse than a ten club division".  Which means do nothing ???

People are coming on here with ideas /thoughts - you knock everyone but want to do nothing.!

I have no idea but I suppose your supported team is not stuck in that awful L1 or you may not think that way

I certainly wouldn't change to playing 32 games as "the only fair way". Therein lies a few more clubs in liquidation.

• Confused 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

28 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Will it be easier for clubs to attract investment/sponsors if they can state they are one level below Super League rather than playing in the third tier of UK RL?

Not if you're at the bottom of the pile.

Hard to present a 0-80 home defeat to Wakefield as a good day out.

1 minute ago, Derwent Parker said:

Well that depends if Wakefield are getting a parachute payment v a team on 15K

If Wakefield are only on 15K in a few years time it wont be 80 - 0??

Parachute payment? They haven't been paid for years.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Tommy, do you remember a few months ago when I questioned you on how you seemingly knew what was going on?

Is this a new 'tack', when someone starts a statement with "According to a mate" it is usually in referance to themselves, time to come clean mi boy.

Hi Harry, I will tell you over a pint one day. But I assure you it is just a mate who was there and not one of my many alter egos.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

Well that depends if Wakefield are getting a parachute payment v a team on 15K

If Wakefield are only on 15K in a few years time it wont be 80 - 0??

It will, because Wakefield are still one of the biggest RL teams in this country.

5 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

It’s all irrelevant anyway as we all know the Championship clubs will vote for the status quo purely out of self interest and not what’s best for the game. 

And that's the thing when some fans talk of "Super Greed" they'd be happy to do the same to clubs below them!

16 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Keith, Did you not read the published letter that was sent to Salford fans re funding:-

This is the bit about central funding

We’ve been told that next years’ distributions will likely, best-case, top out at around £1.31m – almost £200k less than was discussed during the realignment process with the RFL and around £800k less than they were just six years ago. Our given agreement to realign was contingent on the assurance of £1.5m.

This reduction – alongside a further near £100k reduction to 2023’s distributions that we were told about last week – creates an approximate £300k shortfall for us over the next 12 months. This has been known for 8 months, which is particularly aggravating given the lengths to which we’ve gone to in ensuring the Club’s welfare in that time.

I replied

"Well that will Piff on Chips for all those who hope for a 14 team SL, those additional two teams would further reduce the 'Top Out' funding by another £90,000, which in itself doesn't look all that much but added to the 800K that was awarded to each SL club just 6 years ago represents a 42.1% funding reduction from £2.11M, to £1.22M ouch!"

Obviously my views, but Sky have decided the amount that they are paying for the broadcasts, The RL/SL then decide how those monies will be proportioned, so if SL wants to increase to 14 teams then it will be the present incumbents voting for a further drop as explained above than they will already recieve, not a snowball in hells chance of that happening.

Hi Harry, the assumption there is based on Sky not upping the offer in response. The whole thing is predicated on that, I don't expect that anyone's suggesting a move to 14 just for their health. It would be a response to what Sky favour with a view to increasing the value of the deal to at least the point where the above drops are offset. Otherwise there's no point in doing it really.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

16 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

This was last weeks news - https://www.totalrl.com/14-team-super-league-idea-rubbished-as-part-of-imgs-plans-to-re-imagine-rugby-league/#:~:text=A 14-team Super League,throwing up its own challenges.

The clubs voted for IMG.

First the clubs retained Magic Weekend...

It's going very well...

Well there's a bit of briefing from various corners going on obviously, any time there's an unnamed source I'd be keen to know who that is and what their vested interest is. I wouldn't draw firm conclusions from it in any case.

Re: IMG and a fixed 12 team league, IMG will drop that like a stone if it meant TV revenue would increase as a result. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

15 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

It’s all irrelevant anyway as we all know the Championship clubs will vote for the status quo purely out of self interest and not what’s best for the game. 

I thought it was SL clubs who were selfish and only voted on what was best for themselves? Aren't the Championship clubs the good guys? I need to keep up a bit better.

• Like 1

League 1 clubs have the option of a “not perfect but surely better” season 24 games with 12 home fixtures each. I’m at a loss to understand why they’re not doing it if too few home games is the worry.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

League 1 clubs have the option of a “not perfect but surely better” season 24 games with 12 home fixtures each. I’m at a loss to understand why they’re not doing it if too few home games is the worry.

Who said they are not doing it? Looks like they’ve got little choice.

• Like 1

Just now, Roughyed Rats said:

Who said they are not doing it? Looks like they’ve got little choice.

I misread then - I thought it was saying they’re sticking with the same, ie a home and away season?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

58 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

I think it will depend on the format of the revamped 1895. No decisions yet from what’s come out.

1895 has very much lost its glitter now it is apparently ranked 3rd on thr list.

3 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I thought it was SL clubs who were selfish and only voted on what was best for themselves? Aren't the Championship clubs the good guys? I need to keep up a bit better.

In fairness, in one situation there's a reluctance to share a very large pie between 14 instead of 12, and in the other instance there's a reluctance to share a miniscule pie between 23 instead of 14.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I thought Championship and League 1 clubs,in the main,voted for IMG.

There is even less money coming into the sport. 

It seems the Crème de la crème of Super League isn't that well thought of and the whole of the sport suffers.

I await the improvements once IMG get going.

Only 2 clubs down and out since IMG got involved.The majority of the rest just down...

• Like 4

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I thought Championship and League 1 clubs,in the main,voted for IMG.

There is even less money coming into the sport. 

It seems the Crème de la crème of Super League isn't that well thought of and the whole of the sport suffers.

I await the improvements once IMG get going.

Only 2 clubs down and out since IMG got involved.The majority of the rest just down...

IMG are not to blame for WWR or the Skolars. They can't micro manage of the affairs of every club.

4 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Well there's a bit of briefing from various corners going on obviously, any time there's an unnamed source I'd be keen to know who that is and what their vested interest is. I wouldn't draw firm conclusions from it in any case.

Re: IMG and a fixed 12 team league, IMG will drop that like a stone if it meant TV revenue would increase as a result. 

I think you are being over optimistic Keith in your assumption that there could be more money coming out of Sky, I don't know and I assume unless one is employed by Sky who know if there is any profit for Sky with the RL contract, I would not be surprised if all those who subscribe to Sky soley for the RL content do return a profit, I would also be surprised if an increase to 14 SL teams would increase the number of subscribers.

• Like 2