Can the people who spent years lambasting Steve McNamara's coaching ability now be man enough to admit that he is a great coach?

Steve McNamara has already coached Catalans to win a Challenge Cup. Now he has coached them to a place in a Super League Grand Final.

The time that Steve spent as assistant coach to Trent Robinson at the Sydney Roosters was probably important in making him the excellent coach that he is today.

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Bradman Better changed the title to Can the people who spent years lambasting Steve McNamara's coaching ability now be man enough to admit that he is a great coach?

I admit he's a good club-building coach. But nothing he does afterwards changes the fact that he mismanaged a high quality group of England players, who as a result didn't reach their potential. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

17 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I admit he's a good club-building coach. But nothing he does afterwards changes the fact that he mismanaged a high quality group of England players, who as a result didn't reach their potential. 

Did he?

Discounting his first 4 nations, i thought he did alrate.

He lost by 4 points to Australia in Melbourne and 2 to NZ at theirs wi Matty Smith at 7.

We we're an extra time away from a World Cup final.  

We neat NZ 2-1 at home

• Like 6

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

28 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

Steve McNamara has already coached Catalans to win a Challenge Cup. Now he has coached them to a place in a Super League Grand Final.

The time that Steve spent as assistant coach to Trent Robinson at the Sydney Roosters was probably important in making him the excellent coach that he is today.

It'll be his second SL GF with Catalans.

England don’t win with anybody in charge. I thought he did a lot of good things in the job. In club coaching, he took himself out of his comfort zone and moved over to the NRL and I think that helped. He’s done a magnificent job with Catalans. One thing I would point out though, is the part guys like McIlorum and in particular Sam Tomkins have played. I think their influence on the team, alongside the work McNamara has done, has brought a steel and competitive edge to Catalans that they didn’t have before. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The title of this thread is just nonsense, nobody has spent years lambasting NcNamara.

Some way into his Catalans career, there were people still tediously wanging on about how bad he was as the Bulls coach, back when he hadn't any experience and probably shouldn't have accepted the post.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It was the disappointment after such an exciting build up that hurt the most 

The worst bit was that (as always) I’d been telling non-RL fans how good the game is and how they should watch. I should have saved it for the WC semi finals. 

I remember not long after McNamara took charge of Catalans one frequent poster on here at the time wrote a comment that appeared at the bottom of every post they made.  The comment was something along the lines of ‘ ……Catalans will not win another game with McNamara in charge … ‘.

Anyone remember who the poster was?  I have tried to find the poster but without any success.

40 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Anyone here actually know Steve ?

Lovely chap has done a brilliant job at the Dragons and has time for everyone.

I do and I know the family well.

Steve is a lovely guy who was berated on here for some time.  Absolutely 100% dedicated.

• Like 1

Can you beiieve this comment below?

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

The title of this thread is just nonsense, nobody has spent years lambasting NcNamara.

The level of amnesia some people suffer from is amazing.

The poster's choice of name "Whippet13" tells you a lot about him.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

NRL all time great Super coach took us to a 4-0 white wash tour 

McBanana's record wasn't bad 

Bedfordshire Bronco's resuscitation of the word "McBanana" -- which was a relentless term of abuse for so many years --has been helpful in reminding us of how so many vocal rugby league fans despised McNamara

Edited by Bradman Better

33 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

Bedfordshire Bronco's resuscitation of the word "McBanana" -- which was a relentless term of abuse for so many years --has been helpful in reminding us of how so many vocal rugby league fans despised McNamara

Hey I like the bloke!! 

I also.like.funny nicknames though 

I think he's done a brilliant job at Catalan and has proved a perfect fit for that club.  However, i don't think he would necessarily be able to replicate that at other clubs.  I think being a Head coach especially at bigger clubs requires a certain way with people, call it charisma if you like, which frankly most of us don't have.  I think in a strange sort of way being at a foreign club with the language differences almost works in his favour.  It reminds me of Steve Maclaren the football coach who managed to win the Dutch league with a fairly unfancied side but who has never really cut the mustard managing sides in England even though he widely recognised as an excellent coach.

So, not a great coach for me because as well as he has done at Catalan, he's not really been able to match what he's done there anywhere else.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

Not many Bulls fans will forgive him for his time at Odsal. Took the captaincy off Iestyn Harris and thought Paul Sykes was a better bet at centre than Shontayne Hape.

However, it must have been a learning experience because he's done really well with the Catalans.

McNamara didn't trust flair at Odsal and I think he's still a bit the same at Catalans. They made hard work of winning last night when I thought they were the more talented team.

The Catalans were saved by a bit of flair from Sam Tomkins in the last minute ... a blast from the past, and irrespective of which team he plays for, a reminder of how good he used to be. Before that, they had no offload game and never tried to provide their outstanding wingers with  open space to run at.

Am I glad that the Catalans won? Yes, of course I am.

Would I be glad to have McNamara back at the Bulls at some time in the  Future?  No no no no  no no no bloody thanks!

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

12 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Not many Bulls fans will forgive him for his time at Odsal. Took the captaincy off Iestyn Harris and thought Paul Sykes was a better bet at centre than Shontayne Hape.

However, it must have been a learning experience because he's done really well with the Catalans.

McNamara didn't trust flair at Odsal and I think he's still a bit the same at Catalans. They made hard work of winning last night when I thought they were the more talented team.

The Catalans were saved by a bit of flair from Sam Tomkins in the last minute ... a blast from the past, and irrespective of which team he plays for, a reminder of how good he used to be. Before that, they had no offload game and never tried to provide their outstanding wingers with  open space to run at.

Am I glad that the Catalans won? Yes, of course I am.

Would I be glad to have McNamara back at the Bulls at some time in the  Future?  No no no no  no no no bloody thanks!

You have no need to worry. He is a quality coach with ambition - there would be no fit at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.