Newcastle Thunder

My son is just back from the meeting announced last week, quick headlines.

They need 100-120k to commit to season, currently have about half

Looking to sell memberships, possibly tiered, where member commit to paying 10, 20, 30 quid a month or something like that.

Possibly moving to Northumbria university coach lane facilities

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

51 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Looking to sell memberships, possibly tiered, where member commit to paying 10, 20, 30 quid a month or something like that.

That doesn't seem a huge amount required. Makes it strange they went so quickly on the withdrawal. I hope they can get what they need and that figure isn't an underestimation of what is really needed.

59 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Is there anything resembling a stadium there? Or would it be a training base only?

10 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Is there anything resembling a stadium there? Or would it be a training base only?

It would be our training and playing base but the main emphasis on tonight was getting an idea on what fans thought, was this an idea we can get behind. 

Keith Christie was very clear, a very small group of people have had ten days to pull something together, it won't be perfect and we can talk about other stuff like facilities but none of that matters if we don't have money to go forward.

My view stands that we have a group of people who care and are working hard behind the scenes to try and keep rugby league alive in the region. 

No big bold claims tonight, just people wanting a sustainable rugby league club. Those present seemed comfortable with that.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Phil W said:

It would be our training and playing base but the main emphasis on tonight was getting an idea on what fans thought, was this an idea we can get behind. 

Keith Christie was very clear, a very small group of people have had ten days to pull something together, it won't be perfect and we can talk about other stuff like facilities but none of that matters if we don't have money to go forward.

My view stands that we have a group of people who care and are working hard behind the scenes to try and keep rugby league alive in the region. 

No big bold claims tonight, just people wanting a sustainable rugby league club. Those present seemed comfortable with that.

Is it basically down to money?  £120k? Given the massive crowds United get, if only their fans could spare a contribution from time to time. 

10 hours ago, Phil W said:

Phil, how many attended?

10 hours ago, Phil W said:

Good luck with everything, behind every club like this theres a group of ridiculously hard working fans for whom the club is extremely important. I would love to see a new Newcastle team emerge from this horrible period, its always been one of my favourite away days.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Colin James said:

That doesn't seem a huge amount required. Makes it strange they went so quickly on the withdrawal. I hope they can get what they need and that figure isn't an underestimation of what is really needed.

In this case "They" was a "he", it was entirely down to the owners decision to just dump and run unfortunately, I doubt anyone else involved in the club had any say in it whatsoever.

• Like 2

In all seriousness though, there's been resistance to "dual reg" and stuff in the past but if the amount needed is £100k, then how about partnering with a Super League side to become their de-facto reserves team in League 1?

If that's the only viable alternative to an entire regional talent pathway going under, why wouldn't the sport do that? It's in the interests of the sport to maintain participation in the Newcastle region, and the partner club gets first dibs on another talent pipeline in exchange for two average players' wages

Now we have IMG licensing in place, we could do this without distorting the competition... teams could partner, play in League 1 and maybe even get promoted to the Championship, but just not be able to apply for entry to Super League unless they're a stand-alone club. If they later have Super League ambitions, they could end the partnership but only having rebuilt their club to a sustainable position.

Everybody wins, if we think long-term rather than one season. We're discussing this on the Hull KR board, seems like good value... especially seeing as the current reserves comp is a bit of an inconsistent joke at times.  

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

14 hours ago, Colin James said:

I think that is the bond to the rfl to commit not the actual running costs.

1 minute ago, Midlands hobo said:

I think that is the bond to the rfl to commit not the actual running costs.

Wouldn't the bond only be needed for a new club?

The existing club hasn't folded, this is people trying to take over the running of the current club that has existed for 23 years.

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

In all seriousness though, there's been resistance to "dual reg" and stuff in the past but if the amount needed is £100k, then how about partnering with a Super League side to become their de-facto reserves team in League 1?

If that's the only viable alternative to an entire regional talent pathway going under, why wouldn't the sport do that? It's in the interests of the sport to maintain participation in the Newcastle region, and the partner club gets first dibs on another talent pipeline in exchange for two average players' wages

Now we have IMG licensing in place, we could do this without distorting the competition... teams could partner, play in League 1 and maybe even get promoted to the Championship, but just not be able to apply for entry to Super League unless they're a stand-alone club. If they later have Super League ambitions, they could end the partnership but only having rebuilt their club to a sustainable position.

Everybody wins, if we think long-term rather than one season. We're discussing this on the Hull KR board, seems like good value... especially seeing as the current reserves comp is a bit of an inconsistent joke at times.  

There has been too much dual reg in the past. Very little in the way of resistance in fact so much so that we played players who were injured before they even started. Felt like we have been watching Wakefield, Wigan and Hull reserves over the past 3 seasons. A reverse talent pathway has been promised for the last few seasons but never materialised. To be honest would be quite happy to play with every local player we can get rather than rely on SL for what has been some bang average talent ( e.g a nine that could neither pass one way or tackle ). Thanks but no thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Would also add that our regional talent pathway works up to the point of first team at that point you can forget it for dual reg. Doesn't matter even if you repped England or turned down SL offers showing some loyalty to Thunder. For some reason the mgt though the accademy SL players were better with little or no explanation to those involved. I don't want Thunder to be a SL reserve team thanks.

5 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Phil, how many attended?

Probably around the hundred mark but apparently a lot of people had been in touch. Given the circumstances it was a very positive meeting and people seemed up for the fight. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Probably around the hundred mark but apparently a lot of people had been in touch. Given the circumstances it was a very positive meeting and people seemed up for the fight. 

Sorry if posted elsewhere - will there be an option to contribute?

I used to pay monthly to Widnes after their last issues until the relevant supporter scheme was wound up.

1 hour ago, NETIGER said:

Would also add that our regional talent pathway works up to the point of first team at that point you can forget it for dual reg. Doesn't matter even if you repped England or turned down SL offers showing some loyalty to Thunder. For some reason the mgt though the accademy SL players were better with little or no explanation to those involved. I don't want Thunder to be a SL reserve team thanks.

You might not, but I'd suggest that - like most things - it's better than death. 

Just because dual reg has been done badly in the past, does not mean a much more formal model where a side operates as the official 'farm team' of a Super League club might not. It does in many other sports, and many other countries. As with many things in rugby league, in the past it has been done in a half thought through, unstructured way without clearly defined roles, responsibilities and pathway goals. The 'junior' club has just seen it as a way to get a better player for a few weeks, and the 'senior' club has just seen it as better game time for them but making no real development commitment in return.

To be clear, I don't propose dual reg. I'd instead propose an ownership model, where the role of the 1st and 2nd teams in one single organisation was very clear. If that enables us to have a talent pathway in the North East, when that market cannot commercially support a professional team of its own, then I'd see that as a good thing. 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?