Newcastle Thunder

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Unfortunately, Cornwall is very expensive for clubs to visit - not quite as costly as Toulouse but still a lot of money. C1 and Championship clubs are really struggling this year and, "heartlands" or not will always look to their own self-interest when they actually fear for their own survival.

Toulouse is free isn’t it?

26 minutes ago, newbe said:

Liabilities 

All relative I suppose. £300k liabilities is probably not hugely significant if the owners are comfortable taking over Truro. 

I’m not sure what you’re expecting from a 3 year old club based in a virgin area for the game.

As an aside, Harlequins RU had liabilities of £4.8m at their year end.

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, newbe said:

If you check Companies House, Cornwall accounts don't make pretty reading 

Lots of clubs' accounts have ridiculous amounts of debt. It's how the wacky world of sport works.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

All relative I suppose. £300k liabilities is probably not hugely significant if the owners are comfortable taking over Truro. 

I’m not sure what you’re expecting from a 3 year old club based in a virgin area for the game.

As an aside, Harlequins RU had liabilities of £4.8m at their year end.

Plus it does not say to whom that money is owed, it isn't HMRC or a trade creditor, so may well be due to the owners. Impossible to tell the correct position from the data as they don't need to post full accounts.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

..and that sum is probably split between several of their shareholders, so not a big deal.

Taking control of the local soccer club and the ring-fenced millions that go with that acquisition to build the new stadium sounds like they are in a very enviable position!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Plus it does not say to whom that money is owed, it isn't HMRC or a trade creditor, so may well be due to the owners. Impossible to tell the correct position from the data as they don't need to post full accounts.

Well, actually, if the debts are to connected parties, they are required to disclose that.

10 hours ago, Griff said:

Well, actually, if the debts are to connected parties, they are required to disclose that.

Haven't actually looked at the accounts but, if they are normal director loans into the company, there is no need for small companies to disclose any detail.

Yes there is. If the loan is material.

Have a look at Fev's accounts. Loans correctly reported.

Edited by Griff

23 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Toulouse is free isn’t it?

No.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• 1 month later...

So Cornwall were ‘asked’ to stand down from 1895 cup because teams didnt want to travel there. Newcastle are now giving up the home advantage for their game v Wakefield and playing the game next door to Wakefield.

How can the RFL get things so wrong?

57 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

So Cornwall were ‘asked’ to stand down from 1895 cup because teams didnt want to travel there. Newcastle are now giving up the home advantage for their game v Wakefield and playing the game next door to Wakefield.

How can the RFL get things so wrong?

Aren't Newcastle willingly giving up home advantage so they can try and make more money by getting more spectators in a ground closer to Wakefield?

Just now, Click said:

Aren't Newcastle willingly giving up home advantage so they can try and make more money by getting more spectators in a ground closer to Wakefield?

They aren't giving up home advantage. Their home ground is Post Office Road next week

10 minutes ago, Griff said:

They aren't giving up home advantage. Their home ground is Post Office Road next week

Sure, having their name on the scoreboard first makes them the home team. But they are giving up home advantage by not playing at their home stadium.

6 minutes ago, Click said:

Sure, having their name on the scoreboard first makes them the home team. But they are giving up home advantage by not playing at their home stadium.

Clubs can play their own fixtures where they choose, so long as the ground is up to scratch

18 minutes ago, Click said:

In this instance, exactly what advantage are they giving up?

I might be a bit peeved if I was a Newcastle supporter but I'd cut them a bit of slack after their experience in the last few months.

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

In this instance, exactly what advantage are they giving up?

I might be a bit peeved if I was a Newcastle supporter but I'd cut them a bit of slack after their experience in the last few months.

Yeah, I fully understand why Newcastle have done it - as I said, they are looking to make more money from getting more people through the gates at POR then they would at home at Kingston Park. 

In this particular instance, perhaps there isn't much of an advantage to give up as most of their players probably aren't all that familiar with Kingston Park with how young the squad is, but generally speaking - that is the advantage they are losing. Not being at home, playing on a pitch they may be more familiar with than POR.

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Clubs can play their own fixtures where they choose, so long as the ground is up to scratch

No they cannot.  They must play at their 'Home ' venue.

If that pitch is unavailable , and Kingston Park isn't on 18 th Feb., then they can apply to the RFL to change the venue. That can include the opponents own field., or anywhere else that fits the standards.

Thunder have behaved perfectly properly. Their facebook page on 1st Feb explains how it all came about and the reason for asking Featherstone for help. 

As an aside the gate  receipts remain Thunders. And being close to Wakefield should be decent .

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2024 at 07:46, Griff said:

Which Cornwall do, I just checked. £330k is owed to related group parties... so bound to be to the Directors, just via Directors' other companies rather than personally I would imagine (the tax efficient way of organising things). 

2 hours ago, del capo said:

No they cannot.  They must play at their 'Home ' venue.

If that pitch is unavailable , and Kingston Park isn't on 18 th Feb., then they can apply to the RFL to change the venue. That can include the opponents own field., or anywhere else that fits the standards.

Thunder have behaved perfectly properly. Their facebook page on 1st Feb explains how it all came about and the reason for asking Featherstone for help. 

As an aside the gate  receipts remain Thunders. And being close to Wakefield should be decent .

Okay  - i should have added should circumstances dictate - i was just making the point they've done nothing wrong

• Like 1