England v Tonga series

52 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

London has a track record of folk attending England RL games in larger numbers than the North. Ought to have been the first test.

Holding 4 big games in 4 weekends at Manchester, St Helens, Huddersfield and Leeds is asking for low engagement. Not the fans' fault; daft planning.

EDIT: I've tried to contextualise this. I'm trying to imagine which other national sport might hold games in Bath, Bristol, Swindon and Reading on consecutive weekends and expect high engagement across all 4 events. It would be bizarre.

Hadn't seen this when I wrote my post. This says it better.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is all very depressing and yet entirely predictable. I reckon the RFL may have got lucky with St Helens not reaching the Grand Final, as that may result in some Saints fans going to watch their lads playing for England at their home ground this weekend. If Saints had made the Grand Final, and none of their players were playing for England this weekend, then I dread to think what the attendance would be.

The first Test versus the Kiwis in the last series here got 17k in Hull. We generally get 8-9k for the mid-season games when we give loads away or have big offers. We have done nowt to build up the England RL team or their brand and it should be no surprise when we struggle to sell thousands of tickets with zero build up at all.

• Like 2

Depressing thread yet again.

Well, I'm going St Helens and then Leeds, can't make Huddersfield, and I'll also be watching the womens game versus Wales. So ,rugby, balls to the lot of you miserable so 'n so's.

• Like 3

I just went onto the RFL's website. The lead feature was titled 'Watch England Face Tonga this Sunday..."

When you click the 'read more' button, it simply just takes you to the ticket site. Literally no attempt to sell the event to you at all. Just nothing. No squad. Nothing.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, crashmon said:

They are not a draw in the heartlands where the same people are asked to fork out for all three games....

Now make it outside of the Heartlands, market the England team, have interviews on BBC with the key players and also on SSN.  Make it all about England playing smash mouth rugby.... 

If we had had a test in London, I'd have been having it advertised in all the three NFL london games, have an interview at half time of the NFL games etc

How are the same people asked to fork out for 3 games? The venues are not all 50k plus.

Basically - people moan about internationals, get a good series on their doorstep and then moan about the venues.

It's a never ending cycle. 

I just get up and go and enjoy them.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

People aren't buying tickets because they don't know these matches are on. They do.

Poster after poster on here, going back to when this series was announced, has said they aren't going because of the venues. If you wish to ignore that then it's up to you.

Why would you not go because of the venues?

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

How are the same people asked to fork out for 3 games? The venues are not all 50k plus.

Basically - people moan about internationals, get a good series on their doorstep and then moan about the venues.

It's a never ending cycle. 

I just get up and go and enjoy them.

St Helens, Leeds and Hudds are all over 200 miles away.  None of them are on my Doorstep.  Let me know the next time there is an England game on my doorstep, and I'll be happy to attend

• Like 1

Yep they are all a two and a half hours drive from west Cumbria and I’ll be attending all three , been crying out for international test series  for last few years and when we get one all folk do is moan. 
pretty depressing really . 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, crashmon said:

St Helens, Leeds and Hudds are all over 200 miles away.  None of them are on my Doorstep.  Let me know the next time there is an England game on my doorstep, and I'll be happy to attend

it's not all about you.

4 minutes ago, neil m said:

Yep they are all a two and a half hours drive from west Cumbria and I’ll be attending all three , been crying out for international test series  for last few years and when we get one all folk do is moan. 
pretty depressing really . 

Well, exactly. 

Good stuff. 

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

No but England should be about 57 million, not just a few million in a tiny subsection 60 miles apart.

They clearly don't have the funds to hire a London ground and then to market it.

It is what it is. 

Nothing to stop people travelling either.

And the main beef here doesn't seem to be from southerners.

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

has there been no announcement of the Eng squad yet? its 6 days to the 1st test

Was planned for today.

Negotiations behind the scenes on players pulling out maybe.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Was planned for today.

Negotiations behind the scenes on players pulling out maybe.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/revealed-the-three-players-already-confirmed-for-england-83769/

According to this article the announcement has been delayed until tomorrow so could be as you say. 

• Like 1