Sat 28th Oct: International: England v Tonga KO 14:30 @ Huddersfield (BBC)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/23 at 14:00

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

This forum would be full of it regardless. The great mistake is thinking that this forum is the only collection of available opinions, especially for an event that's been broadcast live on terrestrial TV.

I have taken over 100 newbies to league games down south over the years and could count the ones who did not enjoy it (and didn’t come back for more) on the fingers of one hand. As it happens, they were 2 died in the wool push over try nutters, and 2 from Melbourne. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's not as if New Zealand don't see a drop of rain every now and again.

I was thinking this  when teams who come here talk about conditions . Home advantage is one thing , ‘ conditions ‘ is something else . They play in winter - they play in Canberra and Melbourne and Auckland and Sydney where it can rain and be cold . Its a throwaway really 

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I was thinking this  when teams who come here talk about conditions . Home advantage is one thing , ‘ conditions ‘ is something else . They play in winter - they play in Canberra and Melbourne and Auckland and Sydney where it can rain and be cold . Its a throwaway really 

There’s more rainfall in Sydney than in Manchester, believe me it rains and quite heavily in winter over there!

• Like 1

England controlled the game; Tonga did not throw enough at us to make it a thriller.

I took a newbie who had literally never watched a RL game before and she enjoyed the simplicity (versus RUWC) and wanted to see a Super League game.

England were comfortably the better side today.

• Like 6

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

There’s more rainfall in Sydney than in Manchester, believe me it rains and quite heavily in winter over there!

Indeed . But when they win theyve adapted to conditions , and the refereeing , and the pitch 

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

England controlled the game; Tonga did not throw enough at us to make it a thriller.

I took a newbie who had literally never watched a RL game before and she enjoyed the simplicity (versus RUWC) and wanted to see a Super League game.

England were comfortably the better side today.

Glad it went well. It’s somewhat off topic, but are WIre fans looking forward to seeing King back? He looks good to me, completely at home at this level. I am not sure how he ended on the outer there. If you want rid, I am sure lots of Wiganers would be happy to see him.

• Like 2

Not the greatest game, in fact a bit dull overall. But we’ve beaten a good side and had some positive performances - Johnston looks at home in an international jersey, as do the two half backs and Welsby will be a fixture for years to come. Then our pack handled a big opposition well.

This series wasn’t a ‘gimme’ and we’re 2-0 up. 

• Like 5

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

52 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

There’s a lot of truth in this, we automatically think that if die hard RL fans didn’t enjoy the game then neutrals wont have enjoyed it either, that’s not always the case.

Just like this years GF I thought this was a poor game but that doesn’t mean we should suddenly abandon the idea

I remember England absolutely walloping Wales one year. Scored about 80 I think. I remember thinking it was a terrible spectacle. I went into work on the Monday (in the south) and was amazed about how many non-RL fans had watched it and how many loved it! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Glad it went well. It’s somewhat off topic, but are WIre fans looking forward to seeing King back? He looks good to me, completely at home at this level. I am not sure how he ended on the outer there. If you want rid, I am sure lots of Wiganers would be happy to see him.

I have no idea on this one mate. King is a good SL player and I was sad to see him leave in the first place, but the supposed circumstances did not set him in a good light. Obviously I hope he wants to play for us again with intent because he is a decent centre.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

You forgot one:

Look how many empty seats there are in the church. 

And, we got there early and couldn't sit in the reserved seats, so had to sit behind a pillar. Then, blow me, the wedding starts and there's nobody in one row of the reserved seats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It wasn't a classic but great to beat a team full of NRL superstars. I was underwhelmed by the BBC'S coverage.  Harking back to the 4 Nations comp, most games were played in the evening. It seemed more of a spectacle under floodlights creating a febrile atmosphere and a better live and TV event. With a knock on effect of being a saleable product. 

• Like 2

Think England need to improve next week, just bashing it up the middle with a relatively small pack (and one sub who didn't come on til the last few minutes) and bombing the full back wasn't really working. Definitiely missing a few faces, and when I look at the 17 and think "they are STILL in the squad!" it worries me that nobody has stepped up and taken their place.

Tonga were poor, what was most noticeable to me was they lacked leadership and structure in attack, so many times in the second half there would be passes to standing players, or no line up at all when in good positions. I did notice at one point they had 5 trainers on the pitch as they attacked so that could be why, nobody on the field knows what the tactics are! 

• Like 1

Just back from the game. Some observations from my point of view:

1. Poor crowd, another pretty quiet atmosphere, but glad I went as it was an enjoyable day

2. One of the better stadiums to watch rugby league, just a shame about point 1

3. Well done England. Missing a number of high profile players, they've won the series and done it quite comfortably

4. I love International RL and I won't be part of the Catch 22. I will always attend when England are playing, but I appreciate the RFL can't (and shouldn't) rely on everyone else to think that way

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Think England need to improve next week, just bashing it up the middle with a relatively small pack (and one sub who didn't come on til the last few minutes) and bombing the full back wasn't really working. Definitiely missing a few faces, and when I look at the 17 and think "they are STILL in the squad!" it worries me that nobody has stepped up and taken their place.

Tonga were poor, what was most noticeable to me was they lacked leadership and structure in attack, so many times in the second half there would be passes to standing players, or no line up at all when in good positions. I did notice at one point they had 5 trainers on the pitch as they attacked so that could be why, nobody on the field knows what the tactics are! 

England will improve next week and so will Tonga

Shaun Wane knows England can improve and he will make sure they do

8 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Wane has never been the most creative of coaches. I do want him to blood some new forwards though. He needs to start thinking 2026…

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

England will improve next week and so will Tonga

Shaun Wane knows England can improve and he will make sure they do

What is refreshing with this England team is that, despite missing some big names, they have won this series at a canter. They can definitely do better and if they click, have 20pts+ on the Tongans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I have no idea on this one mate. King is a good SL player and I was sad to see him leave in the first place, but the supposed circumstances did not set him in a good light. Obviously I hope he wants to play for us again with intent because he is a decent centre.

I think King did fine at Wigan but I wasn't particularly fussed on him staying or going. He's a fairly average centre who does a job but I thought that he was very much 2nd in the centre stakes compared to Wardle.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Northern Eel said:

What is refreshing with this England team is that, despite missing some big names, they have won this series at a canter. They can definitely do better and if they click, have 20pts+ on the Tongans.

Should have done today. Both Johnstone and Ashton bombed tries with the line open before Tonga were on the board. I suspect we would have buried them if those had been taken. 

• Like 1

Just now, Damien said:

I think King did fine at Wigan but I wasn't particularly fussed on him staying or going. He's a fairly average centre who does a job but was very much 2nd in the centre stakes compared to Wardle.

I have put a sad face emoji on that post, purely because you are right and I was really keen on Saints to try get Wardle. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Should have done today. Both Johnstone and Ashton bombed tries with the line open before Tonga were on the board. I suspect we would have buried them if those had been taken. 

Yep, and I also felt we went quite basic in attack in the last 20 mins, just to see the game out. We didn't need to get out of second gear really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

I have put a sad face emoji on that post, purely because you are right and I was really keen on Saints to try get Wardle. 

I don't really understand why it went pair shaped for him at Huddersfield but I was delighted when we signed him. It was a position we were desperately weak in and he has everything you want in a centre.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't really understand why it went pair shaped for him at Huddersfield but I was delighted when we signed him. It was a position we were desperately weak in and he has everything you want in a centre.

No idea. Class player. Natural centre. Reminds me of Martin Gleeson (but left side of course). I think a centre partnership with Farnworth could be devastating. 

• Like 2