New Zealand coach wants more games

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

So providing Fiji win again would it not be a good idea to invite them over here next autumn for a 3 match serious? Just saying

Fiji are already locked in to the Pacific Comp post-season in 2024 and are indeed hosting games in Suva. 

Looking beyond 2024 though Fiji should definitely be considered as another touring option, especially as their strength will continue to increase with the Silktails delivering more professional players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The NRL make decisions about International Rugby League.  They are only interested in NRL and State of Origin.  There is a reason why they did not want England playing in the Pacific Championship, they do not want them there.  It's that simple.  They did not like the Four / Tri nations and scrapped it, even though it was a successful tournament.  

If you look at the international calendar they have made that very clear.  I can't understand why those on here can't see what the decisions the NRL have made.  The best response to this, is what the fans have done, in the first two games with Tonga, don't attend.  

The fans made an educated decision, which is correct boycott international games.  I can't see the point of playing Tonga here, when there is a tournament going on the southern hemisphere, which should of invited England and France.  I don't follow the international scene anymore.  Enjoy club rugby.  Super League, NRL and state of origin.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/11/2023 at 09:39, Spidey said:

England should bite the bullet and hop on a plane down under - 2 x 4 Nations tournaments then

I'd rather that than playing 3 games against Samoa in front of half empty M62 stadiums.

Edited by londonrlfan

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

NZRL may think about prioritising selling more than 10k tickets for a match against their biggest rivals, before asking for more fixtures.

I don’t disagree but this outcome is symptomatic of the disdain and disregard the authorities (NRL, players union, NZRL), media (Fox) and pundits have given to the international game. Continually shooting ourselves in the foot and putting it down has this consequence. You reap what you sow 

• Like 3

On 03/11/2023 at 05:41, GeordieSaint said:

The solution is simple (in theory). Two windows. One mid season. The other at the end. Mid season would be for everyone less Australia who should play Origin as a 3-week series. It allows everyone else to play Tests. The post-season window includes Australia. That’s a minimum of 6 games a year. It would be a huge leap forward. 

It's this simple. We're so pig headed as a sport we can't do the simple things. Even if the Pacific teams had players in Origin, who cares, give us enough international games to make it worthwhile. It's a real shame that our leading country is so isolated and inward looking to the point where its stifling growth and they can't even see it.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 04/11/2023 at 09:13, Coco said:

The NRL make decisions about International Rugby League.  They are only interested in NRL and State of Origin.  There is a reason why they did not want England playing in the Pacific Championship, they do not want them there.  It's that simple.  They did not like the Four / Tri nations and scrapped it, even though it was a successful tournament.  

If you look at the international calendar they have made that very clear.  I can't understand why those on here can't see what the decisions the NRL have made.  The best response to this, is what the fans have done, in the first two games with Tonga, don't attend.  

The fans made an educated decision, which is correct boycott international games.  I can't see the point of playing Tonga here, when there is a tournament going on the southern hemisphere, which should of invited England and France.  I don't follow the international scene anymore.  Enjoy club rugby.  Super League, NRL and state of origin.  

The NRL's hatred of internationals is really dumb, since it's the one thing they really have over the AFL. 

• Like 3

Totally agree with you. But there is absolutely nothing any of the fans, or even representatives from the international board can do about it.  All we are seeing is the power and strength of the NRL.  They will decide what they want.  They already decided that they will reduce the next world cup participants.  Even though the last world cup was s success.  

Anyone seeing a trend here.  When there was a successful four nations / Tri nations the NRL cancelled the competition.  Now when it was reported it was a successful world cup, the NRL have now changed the format of the next world cup.

Two world cups ago, under Wayne Bennett England lost the world cup by one converted try.  It was a fantastic game.  Since then Australia have not wanted to play England here in the northern hemisphere or in the southern hemisphere.  Anything that is successful internationally the NRL will remove.  

21 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I don’t disagree but this outcome is symptomatic of the disdain and disregard the authorities (NRL, players union, NZRL), media (Fox) and pundits have given to the international game. Continually shooting ourselves in the foot and putting it down has this consequence. You reap what you sow 

Does an electorate ultimately get what they vote for in a democracy? 

Similar question - does the NRL merely reflect the AFL-style insularity of most Australian RL fans?

They talk about "developing" the game in NZ. Appear to think RL arrived there in 95 with the Warriors. Someone on an Aussie forum was wittering on the other day about kiwi "heritage players". Until a Kiwi poster pointed out that they don't have any.

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

The NRL's hatred of internationals is really dumb, since it's the one thing they really have over the AFL. 

Internationals are the one thing with the potential to overshadow and threaten Origin. Hence the desire to control and limit them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Internationals are the one thing with the potential to overshadow and threaten Origin. Hence the desire to control and limit them.

Completely agree. Though with more Kiwis and Pacific Islanders in the NRL, Origin starts to lose its status anyway.

• Like 1

Agree with you.  The NRL see the international scene as a threat to the State of Origin and NRL.  If you see what the international programme is like for the next 4 years, it is stacked in their favour and they know this. 

The % are always stacked in their favour.  They did not like what happened two world cups ago.  When England lost by a solitary try to them.  England produced a defensive performance of epic proportions.  They had a coach of legendary status.  That game threatened the state of origin.

They then developed a international programme in their favour.  Nothing challenges the NRL and the State of Origin.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Damien said:

Internationals are also the one thing that could help take RL beyond both AFL and Union if done right 

• Like 2

It's time (to begin) to build our own counterpart to the Pacific Cup in the Northern Hemisphere.

How many teams do you want? Canada, USA, Jamaica, Wales, France, (Brazil?).

How big a competition do you want? 4 teams? 6 teams? 

From what I can see, USA have a significant number of clubs/teams (they also represent the biggest opportunity for RL in the Northern hemisphere), Jamaica has a home grown league, Wales has clubs, etc. etc. 

Get it going, the Atlantic Challenge Cup.

The winners get the right to challenge England in a one off, once a season match.

England can look elsewhere for more competitive fixtures until the standard improves. 

As soon as England lose one against the Atlantic CC winners they become subsumed into the competition proper.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

It's time (to begin) to build our own counterpart to the Pacific Cup in the Northern Hemisphere.

How many teams do you want? Canada, USA, Jamaica, Wales, France, (Brazil?).

How big a competition do you want? 4 teams? 6 teams? 

From what I can see, USA have a significant number of clubs/teams (they also represent the biggest opportunity for RL in the Northern hemisphere), Jamaica has a home grown league, Wales has clubs, etc. etc. 

Get it going, the Atlantic Challenge Cup.

The winners get the right to challenge England in a one off, once a season match.

England can look elsewhere for more competitive fixtures until the standard improves. 

As soon as England lose one against the Atlantic CC winners they become subsumed into the competition proper.

I know this is a massive "What if" but i always wonder what if we had really tried post 1995 WC to get the northern hemisphere more settled like this. England, Wales, France etc You see the likes of Georgia being frozen out of the top tier of union for the last 10 years (ok now this is changing) but IF we had got our selves more settled we could have offered those types of countries a place at the table.. At some point we just need to do something and stick with it, even if it is 10 years away from being meaningful, otherwise we will be 10 years down the line talking like this and still 10 years away from something meaningful.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RP London said:

I know this is a massive "What if" but i always wonder what if we had really tried post 1995 WC to get the northern hemisphere more settled like this. England, Wales, France etc You see the likes of Georgia being frozen out of the top tier of union for the last 10 years (ok now this is changing) but IF we had got our selves more settled we could have offered those types of countries a place at the table.. At some point we just need to do something and stick with it, even if it is 10 years away from being meaningful, otherwise we will be 10 years down the line talking like this and still 10 years away from something meaningful.

Yes, you're right. You've got to start somewhere.

I wish the Welsh RL would set up a dialogue with the USA. A special relationship, including annual fixtures, for mutual developmental benefit.

Here's the key. If games can be arranged at financial break even or above, then the sky's the limit.

I watched the recent Wales A v England Lions under 23 in my home town and the pride felt by our lads and our spectators, was palpable.

There was a healthy crowd and even though we got beaten, the game was incredibly intense, great entertainment and our lads deserved a lot of credit. What we need, to be more competitive is more players to choose from. 

More games of this nature, against similar fledgling nations (USA in particular) would I'm sure, help to stabilise and grow the games in both Nations.

It would I'm certain, increase the number of Welsh clubs in our national competition quite quickly, if the potential of a Welsh cap for representing Wales against prestigious International teams was on offer.  

• Like 1