England vs Samoa Series

Venues

1   Halliwell Jones Stadium

2  John Smiths Stadium Huddersfield

3  Headingley, Leeds

Balanced between Yorkshire and Lancashire

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

What sort of attendance do you think a mid season international between England and France in London would get? 

It’s not an event, so I wouldn’t expect it to draw many. I wouldnt take an England V France game to London until they have beaten England

6 hours ago, crashmon said:

The question is that in year 5 has the attendances grown from year 1? Thats the aim here...   Growth built on brand awareness.

I think it would directly correlate with the French competitiveness. In my opinion, France are not resourced enough to develop as much as England can over the next five years, so my concern is that the fixture will remain a non-event.

17 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s not an event, so I wouldn’t expect it to draw many. I wouldnt take an England V France game to London until they have beaten England

I think it would directly correlate with the French competitiveness. In my opinion, France are not resourced enough to develop as much as England can over the next five years, so my concern is that the fixture will remain a non-event.

I think we probably need to stage that Test match in France really more often than not. This match is not a money spinner, so use it as an Enhland camp, make it easier for the French team who will rely on Catalans and Toulouse, and they should put in a better show in front of a solid crowd. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think we probably need to stage that Test match in France really more often than not. This match is not a money spinner, so use it as an Enhland camp, make it easier for the French team who will rely on Catalans and Toulouse, and they should put in a better show in front of a solid crowd. 

BBC would still present it to close to a million viewers on BBC1

1 minute ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

BBC would still present it to close to a million viewers on BBC1

The problem here is that the BBC have never shown the mid-season match IIRC, Sky normally show it, but I do think that's a reflection of our half-hearted approach to them so far!

I'd take one back to the emirates, they saw a great game between the 2 teams in the WC so give them more of the same.

Emirates

Wigan/Bolton

Headingley/Sheffield

Or if were feeling brave:

Emirates

Newcastle

Midlands - Nottingham/Birmingham/Coventry/Leicester

Maybe RL fans don't want to go to the same grounds they go to maybe twice/3 times a year following their team and would like the novelty of a new place?.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The problem here is that the BBC have never shown the mid-season match IIRC, Sky normally show it, but I do think that's a reflection of our half-hearted approach to them so far!

I think that is more to do with the fact we generally don't bother with mid season internationals (to many a combined nations/exiles game is not an international). The BBC have shown matches against France in the past, I seem to recall the one in France a couple of years ago being shown and before that one at Leigh, and I see no reason why they wouldn't show one mid season too.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think that is more to do with the fact we generally don't bother with mid season internationals (to many a combined nations/exiles game is not an international). The BBC have shown matches against France in the past, I seem to recall the one in France a couple of years ago being shown and before that one at Leigh, and I see no reason why they wouldn't show one mid season too.

Agreed, it's been a very muddled approach to mid-season (and pre-tournament warmp-ups), and that is reflected in TV coverage (and sponsors, and crowds tbf).

We've had a combination of Sky showing them, BBC live (the Kiwi Denver Test) and I think even BBC Red Button (Samoa Test). Agreed that that is our failing rather than any kind of message of lack of interest.

• Like 1

Just now, Damien said:

I don't blame Samoa to be honest. The RFL didn't exactly make the Tonga series exciting or successful enough for Samoa to wish to follow.

I bet the financials didn't work either.

Failure leading to failure yet again

• Like 1

The thing is as well the RFL desperately needs teams to tour here to provide revenue and dig them out of the hole they are in. We really need to get the Aussies across here, like the cancelled 2020 tour that was meant to be played in big stadiums, to provide revenue and kickstart things again.

There are shades here of 2001 and the RFL begging the Aussies to tour to save them. I think we are probably at that time again.

• Haha 1

This is a kick up the backside for NH RL, especially in England. We are at the mercy of the SH sides and the NRL. There’s enough competitive sides down there to not have to come here to play anymore.

Until we build up the likes of France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and maybe even Jamaica, Nigeria and other countries with potential then we will be begging for scraps from the SH to provide games for England 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

This is a kick up the backside for NH RL, especially in England. We are at the mercy of the SH sides and the NRL. There’s enough competitive sides down there to not have to come here to play anymore.

Until we build up the likes of France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and maybe even Jamaica, Nigeria and other countries with potential then we will be begging for scraps from the SH to provide games for England 

Absolutely.

That Samoa can turn England down says it all really. We reap what we have sowed unfortunately.

• Like 3