Magic Weekend

8 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I slightly digress, but did the Big Bash weekends in Blackness increase Rugby League awareness in Blackpool?

I'm not sure these events really increase awareness nearly as much as we think. Just because a comic book convention is in town doesn't mean I'm going to start being interested in comic books.

1 minute ago, eal said:

I'm not sure these events really increase awareness nearly as much as we think. Just because a comic book convention is in town doesn't mean I'm going to start being interested in comic books.

When done in isolation with little joined up activity taking place throughout the year you are probably right. This is something RL all too often gets wrong.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, eal said:

Comic books are the highest form of art....probably.

ce4.jpg.531c0842b9ca9ca94fe7aa2ca7fbacab.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The British Lion said:

I moved to Leeds 5 months ago, from Warrington. 

Relocation from warrington to leeds……hardly a move…more an extradition. What serious crime are you able to admit to that led to this?

Is Terry Waite still around ….we could see if he could negotiate a deal to get you back….There are possibly several stray whippets running around Rochdale we offer to get your freedom.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Taffy Tiger said:

Too soon for tickets Gomersall . RFL On Ice starts at the end of 2024 season and runs until IMG gradings are released . Depending on team's final scores , RFL On Ice may be extended beyond release of gradings 😉

Could be a long time after Taffy, right up to the time the legals sort it out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Relocation from warrington to leeds……hardly a move…more an extradition. What serious crime are you able to admit to that led to this?

Is Terry Waite still around ….we could see if he could negotiate a deal to get you back….There are possibly several stray whippets running around Rochdale we offer to get your freedom.

I got married to a Polish girl, who loves living in Leeds. Hence, the deal breaker was Leeds 😑

13 hours ago, Damien said:

When done in isolation with little joined up activity taking place throughout the year you are probably right. This is something RL all too often gets wrong.

9 hours ago, The British Lion said:

It needs a follow up strategy, which the RFL never had, or did.

Yes, this is the thing. MW in itself isn’t going to make a city into RL fans, it should be part of a wider campaign (for want of a better word)

If I was doing a power point presentation about it, I’d probably use the term “joined up thinking“ or some such cliche. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

I read this as humorous,  meaning "Well, why not just play the fixtures as normal, as any other round, and just call it Magic Weekend." 🙂

That was indeed my intent. Elland Road is simply giving up. It’s the RFL obligatory contract album.

On 21/11/2023 at 22:51, Damien said:

Or maybe the players are just as exasperated as the rest of us with how the game is run and the decisions that are made and are speaking out the only way they can to try and improve things. 

mmm I can imagine boxers saying... oh this is a rubbish occasion, look that promoter is taking that fight to Vegas and our's is doing it in Leeds... what a load of rubbish

every one always thinks they could do a better job...  maybe I'd listen to him or them if they came out with strategic coherent framework.

rather than a rant that discourages... 

• Haha 1

Whilst I don't think this Magic Weekend will suffer in the same way, maybe masked by a large Leeds following, it is quite startling to look at what happened to Summer Bash...

After 5 years at Blackpool with an average weekend crowd of 15k, post-covid it was moved to York. A nice ground, in a nice tourist city. The crowd dropped to less than 7k. It isn't here for 2024 I don't believe?

We did also see a drop at Anfield - not catastrophic, but the fans did vote with their feet. 

It'll be interesting to see how fans respond to this one.

11 minutes ago, redjonn said:

mmm I can imagine boxers saying... oh this is a rubbish occasion, look that promoter is taking that fight to Vegas and our's is doing it in Leeds... what a load of rubbish

every one always thinks they could do a better job...  maybe I'd listen to him or them if they came out with strategic coherent framework.

Got it. No one can comment about how they disagree or don't like something..

Unless they carry around a USB stick with a PowerPoint presentation at the ready, with their 10 point plan explaining why they don't + 5 better ideas ready to be put into place, complete with any costings included.

15 hours ago, phiggins said:

It’s closer to a train station than Elland Road to be fair 

I love the Leigh folk since 1971 and I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but  leigh is closer to everything in the town .I think Bramley station is closer to ER 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Just now, Click said:

Got it. No one can comment about how they disagree or don't like something..

Unless they carry around a USB stick with a PowerPoint presentation at the ready, with their 10 point plan explaining why they don't + 5 better ideas ready to be put into place, complete with any costings included.

chuckle... maybe not a whole plan but maybe a alternative suggestion.... Newcastle ain't available unfortunately, Leeds may not be best choice on my limited knowledge. I think XYZ would be better... Never-the-less where ever it is it will a great event and with some great rugby , I remember how good XYZ magic was... can't wait to run out in a big crowd again...

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

chuckle... maybe not a whole plan but maybe a alternative suggestion.... Newcastle ain't available unfortunately, Leeds may not be best choice on my limited knowledge. I think XYZ would be better... Never-the-less where ever it is it will a great event and with some great rugby , I remember how good XYZ magic was... can't wait to run out in a big crowd again...

I think the main alternative that has been suggested was to do what IMG suggested and scrap it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess your one of those toe the party line and say thank you no matter what types.

Not sure why you'd expect him to come out with a coherent framework on Twitter to be honest. He is entitled to his opinion just the same as everyone else.

One thing that is for sure is that if all of the games stakeholders, and the players are amongst the key ones, just constantly nod like donkeys and say that decisions like this are great then that is no way to improve things. The players deserve far better than a Magic at Elland Road and internationals at small SL stadiums.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yeah, sometimes I like to close my eyes and only look at positives as well.

• Haha 1

Just now, Damien said:

I guess your one of those toe the party line and say thank you no matter what types.

Not sure why you'd expect him to come out with a coherent framework on Twitter to be honest. He is entitled to his opinion just he same as everyone else.

One thing that is for sure is that if all of the games stakeholders, and the players are amongst the key ones, just constantly nod like donkeys and say that decisions like this are great then that is no way to improve things. The players deserve far better than a Magic at Elland Road and internationals at small SL stadiums.

Personally I would scrap Magic, but then again I've always thought that...

I guess I'm more a pragmatist... Newcastle isn't available and apart from my personal choice of scrapping it I have not heard a alternative location suggestion... well some have and its been rubbished...

As to toeing a party line in general... I'm a scouser that would cut off his nose to spit his face...