The true sleeping giants of the game

The game needs to give 100% to the traditional clubs + London Broncos (I also have a good feeling long term about Cornwall) outside of that use the ENGLAND brand to take around the country playing tests 

* London

* Norwich

* Brighton

* Plymouth

* Bristol

* Birmingham 

+ Leeds/Manchester job done we now have 8 test playing nations no excuses 

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The game needs to give 100% to the traditional clubs + London Broncos (I also have a good feeling long term about Cornwall) outside of that use the ENGLAND brand to take around the country playing tests 

* London

* Norwich

* Brighton

* Plymouth

* Bristol

* Birmingham 

+ Leeds/Manchester job done we now have 8 test playing nations no excuses 

what is the persistent fascination with Norwich on here? Is it just because it's in the east and would look good as a pin on a map? Even with the road improvements it's relatively isolated, difficult and time consuming to get to, and has a pretty well followed football club. Neither RU nor cricket have properly tried to crack Norfolk - so is that a gap in the market for us, or is it because comparatively other pins in the map would be better priorities? 

I really like Norwich, by the way.

• Like 2

Oooh look another 'let's pick some random clubs and fawn over how great they and their crowds are going to be with no actual evidence' thread.

Why do RL fan do this? There's as much chance of Huddersfield getting their own 20,000 stadium and filling it as world club champions as there is of York, Halifax etc getting 8,000 +  crowds.

Edited by daz39

3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Yep, add Widnes in, you can't remember them all, good call.

Donny and York are optimistic I accept, not sure what your issue is with Fax, a very well supported club in the 1980's.

You don't need to have what I'm having, I'm talking of  a possible potential, not fact, I didn't wake up this morning and suddenly think it had actually happened. I leave that to the London brigade.

I like your optimism regarding Donny. Average crowds in the region of 2000 plus are entirely possible. With what I think will be a competitive team that's achievable. I think at this point everyone at the club will be happy with that.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

what is the persistent fascination with Norwich on here? Is it just because it's in the east and would look good as a pin on a map? Even with the road improvements it's relatively isolated, difficult and time consuming to get to, and has a pretty well followed football club. Neither RU nor cricket have properly tried to crack Norfolk - so is that a gap in the market for us, or is it because comparatively other pins in the map would be better priorities? 

Maybe he's Alan Partridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I’ve often thought Norfolk would an ideal expansion spot. The county (nearly 1 million people) only has one professional sports team and it would be great for away trips with weekends on the broads or coast thrown in, or nights out in Norwich. It’s also not difficult to get to from the NW now the A14 is done, or Yorkshire down the A1. People here are also mad for Norfolk and many would support it if it was sold as a Norfolk club. 

47 minutes ago, Jemmo said:

Where as Doncaster is still a way of that number, they have just announced so far they have sold more season tickets than ever before, and 4 times the amount they sold when last in the Championship in 2014

Good news. Any idea how many?

51 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Oooh look another 'let's pick some random clubs and fawn over how great they and their crowds are going to be with no actual evidence' thread.

Why do RL fan do this? There's as much chance of Huddersfield getting their own 20,000 stadium and filling it as world club champions as there is of York, Halifax etc getting 8,000 +  crowds.

Less chance in fact. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rene_Artois said:

I like your optimism regarding Donny. Average crowds in the region of 2000 plus are entirely possible. With what I think will be a competitive team that's achievable. I think at this point everyone at the club will be happy with that.

We're certainly not a sleeping giant but we've certainly got the potential to grow. There's a lot of community work undertaken by the club. Good relationship with the community clubs who are all developing well. A lot of work has taken place under Carl Hall and Martin Rowlands which is benefitting all parties. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good news. Any idea how many?

Looking into that. I imagine they'll announce figures once the different deadlines end. I'm not imagining anything astronomical in terms of numbers. Just glad to see an improvement in relative terms.

Just good to see us going in the right direction really on and off the field.

Edited by Rene_Artois
  • Thanks 1

Interesting topic, but I am in my 60s and apart from Bradford none have drawn regular decent crowds( Widnes were better when the big union stars signed Davies, Offiah etc). Unless some big money people decide to invest in a couple of these clubs  they will not move up drastically.

Leigh have done well with DBs investment and drive but (and it's not a criticism) they will always peak towards the 10k at best.

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve often thought Norfolk would an ideal expansion spot. The county (nearly 1 million people) only has one professional sports team and it would be great for away trips with weekends on the broads or coast thrown in, or nights out in Norwich. It’s also not difficult to get to from the NW now the A14 is done, or Yorkshire down the A1. People here are also mad for Norfolk and many would support it if it was sold as a Norfolk club. 

Norfolk Turkeys, gets my vote and they could have a slang name as the Gobblers

Edited by Agbrigg
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iffleyox said:

You are missing the point its ENGLAND  play a match there even once in every 3/4 years v lesser nations and it will sell out at decent prices.

Sell the sizzle there are some capable people out there with quality way above the muppets who ran RLWC/2021 that have all run off to cycling union darts whatever with their gongs.

Back slapping all round chaps best person for the job etc.

Pass the sick bag please we need people that have or are at the coal face.

Rant over:)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

You are missing the point its ENGLAND  play a match there even once in every 3/4 years v lesser nations and it will sell out at decent prices.

I understood that's what you meant but I was/am questioning whether it's true. Not to be difficult, but just because I don't see why it necessarily follows. 

Also, given England currently have exactly no fixtures next year, I can't help smiling at a plan that suggests Norwich is getting a game once every three!

24 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I understood that's what you meant but I was/am questioning whether it's true. Not to be difficult, but just because I don't see why it necessarily follows. 

Also, given England currently have exactly no fixtures next year, I can't help smiling at a plan that suggests Norwich is getting a game once every three!

I 100% get your point needs sorting out 

3 hours ago, daz39 said:

You say fawning, whilst everyone else just sees someone being positive.

I'd see any of those in SL above the sham club that is Huddersfield Giants.

You've been in SL for years, with a well funded team, and still can't get anywhere near 6K. Thankfully IMG will put a stop to your inflated phantom crowds next year.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agree

Norfolk 

Cornwall

Kent

100% the places 

12 minutes ago, dboy said:

You say fawning, whilst everyone else just sees someone being positive.

I'd see any of those in SL above the sham club that is Huddersfield Giants.

You've been in SL for years, with a well funded team, and still can't get anywhere near 6K. Thankfully IMG will put a stop to your inflated phantom crowds next year.

Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder about something ...

As an 'expansionist' I agree with large parts of the original post. Most 'expansionists' want a strong heartlands as well as expansion. You can have both. The problem is many believe expansion is one of the reasons why these clubs are floundering rather than mismanagement over a number of years. I'm not convinced by the IMG proposals but clearly one of the things they are trying to do is strengthen clubs. Better facilities, better engagement etc = bigger crowds. 

• Like 6