SKY new TV deal with Football

Blow for Super League as rugby league set to lose crucial TV air time

o on X  on    Despite a new TV deal with Sky Sports with the broadcasters set to show every Super League game in 2024 and beyond, the sport could be about to lose air time.

From 2025, Sky Sports will broadcast a record minimum of 215 Premier League matches a season after finalising a new four-year agreement.

With up to 100 more matches each season, Sky Sports’ exclusively live coverage will increase by 70% 

As part of the new deal, which will commence with the 2025/26 season, Sky Sports will show more Premier League action than any other broadcaster with at least four matches per week.

Sky Sports’ 215 matches will include more than 140 matches played at weekends, evening matches on Fridays and Mondays and full coverage of three midweek match rounds.

For the first time, Sky Sports will also broadcast all 10 Premier League matches on the final day of each season.

Dana Strong, Group CEO, Sky said: “This is a fantastic result for Sky customers, who will see a significant increase in the number of matches from the most iconic league in the world.

“We are proud of our long history with the Premier League and look forward to delivering more engagement, entertainment, and innovation to the end of the decade. Sky is the undisputed home for sport fans in the UK.”

The unrivalled line-up of Premier League football on Sky Sports will incluAt least 215 live games each season. All first pick matches, giving fans the best matches week in week out until May 2029.Super Sunday remains the flagship kick-off slot at 4.30pm.First and last word on a Premier League weekend with more live games on Fridays and Mondays. For the first time, all the final games on the last day of the season will be live in one place, creating a real moment for fans. And in another first, Sky Sports will now be able to offer multiple live matches on a number of weekends at Sunday 2pm.

This is truly disappointing for rugby league fans who were expecting this kind of treatment for the sport. Instead, we are likely to only see two to three live games a week on Sky channels with the rest on a streaming service which will do little to grow the game and achieve the desired viewing figures.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Conversely the Sky deal is good for RL. 

Sky will show the same as now, but extra matches at 2pm on Sun (they already show a game) and more matches on Tues, Weds and over Christmas. 

Sky have paid just 4% more- and with football safe until 2029 we should get a 26 to 29 deal 

I don't quite follow the logic.

Are you saying that the extra PL games won't conflict with the RL games Sky show, and since PL is the primary focus of Sky and it is now secured, then that removes barriers for RL to extend with Sky from 26 to 29?

If not, could you expand a little on how it might be good for RL please?

2 minutes ago, stookie said:

I don't quite follow the logic.

Are you saying that the extra PL games won't conflict with the RL games Sky show, and since PL is the primary focus of Sky and it is now secured, then that removes barriers for RL to extend with Sky from 26 to 29?

If not, could you expand a little on how it might be good for RL please?

Yes- there will be a few extra clashes but Sky Sports now secure until 2029 

Sky only paid 4% more too- reflecting that most of their extra matches will clash with their current ones 

• Thanks 1

From what I've heard on Sky, Friday evening PL will be commonplace , at the present it's maybe about 4 or 5 Fridays a season. This means more direct clashes with SL on Friday, and less SL on Main Event at this time. Not sure it makes a lot of difference as SL on Main Event on Friday is rare anyway. EFL Championship is currently on Friday evenings,  so that'll have to move.....to Thursday perhaps?

sky deal impacts on me by me cancelling my subscription as i have never ever watched a football match i will pay to watch the streamed rugby and watch wigan on their tv channel.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

All the Super League TV dates have been removed from the Sky Sports website 

This is a future tv rights deal not one taking place this football season 23/24.

When you read the Sky press statement accompanying this news on SSN they actually bragged about having rugby league in their portfolio.

Pretty sure next season’s games will be unaffected.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

This is a future tv rights deal not one taking place this football season 23/24.

When you read the Sky press statement accompanying this news on SSN they actually bragged about having rugby league in their portfolio.

Bragged ? They mentioned it among the list of sports they have, they didn't exactly say, " nyah- nyah -ner- na -nyah we've got the RL." Anyway there's a lot of RL/soccer fans crossover,  so perhaps Sky reluctantly have the PL in order to keep the SL. 😜

Edited by HawkMan

21 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Bragged ? They mentioned it among the list of sports they have, they didn't exactly say, " nyah- nyah -ner- na -nyah we've got the RL." Anyway there's a lot of RL/soccer fans crossover,  so perhaps Sky reluctantly have the PL in order to keep the SL. 😜

If we had any foresight then we’d have got Baz and Tez to gatecrash Sky Sport News as they were boasting about it.

Had the pair of them lobbing rugby league balls at presenter Mike while grinning inanely down camera lens.

Another opportunity missed - I blame the RFL…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

Football now tied up with Sky and TNT. Amazon might not have budget to spend on other sports.

Amazon don't have a fixed budget (nor do any company other than BBC) 

Amazon, tnt, sky work out revenue from extra subscriptions, broadband, prime sales and adverts minus costs of production and profit margin to get to rights cost. 

2 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Football now tied up with Sky and TNT. Amazon might not have budget to spend on other sports.

Amazon have the future rights to live Champions League football shared with TNT Sport.

I think they get first pick of Tuesday night games.

They’ve also given up tennis, but gone in for Australian cricket rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/01/amazon-and-bbc-break-bt-stranglehold-on-champions-league-football

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

On 06/12/2023 at 16:17, Gerrumonside ref said:

Indeed, this is always something people moan about, but RL was explicitly called out as an asset in their list of tv rights. 

• Like 1

The football TV deal has no material impact on RL. 

The Premier League is a commercial imperative for Sky Sports. They'll pay (almost) whatever it takes to keep hold of their key asset. 

RL is still an asset to Sky, but the idea that our TV deal is falling due to the increase in Premier League rights is a non sequitur. The RL TV share is falling because if there is one thing that the RL clubs have been particularly bad at in recent years, it's maintaining and increasing the sport's market share at a time when other sports and competitions have emerged and grown to command more of the TV market. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...