SuperLeague+ Streaming Platform Launch

I do hope they have a strategy for original content to be featured on the app also. Not just highlights and “classic” games. 
I think growth and eventual success will rest on what additional programming they can produce/feature.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

This all sounds great. I hope they fill it with archival matches including all World Club Challenge games (except the expanded format 1997 matches!), GB/England test matches going back to the 90s etc. That's the sort of additional content that would make it more worthwhile for me, as an Australian fan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tiffers said:

just as they do for "tickets" and push you to the club website to purchase.

I believe the same thing on the NRL website has been a very successful driver of ticket sales. I suppose it is taking advantage of impulse buying instinct, particularly after you have just watched some exhilarating highlights that have whet your appetite and decide you might catch a game this weekend.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

This all sounds great. I hope they fill it with archival matches including all World Club Challenge games (except the expanded format 1997 matches!), GB/England test matches going back to the 90s etc. That's the sort of additional content that would make it more worthwhile for me, as an Australian fan.

Funnily enough, there are a small handful of those 1997 games that I'd love to see again! 

It'd be good if they had hour long stories of each season. Surely things like that are relatively cost effective to produce, depending on archive ownership I suppose. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I believe the same thing on the NRL website has been a very successful driver of ticket sales. I suppose it is taking advantage of impulse buying instinct, particularly after you have just watched some exhilarating highlights that have whet your appetite and decide you might catch a game this weekend.

It just makes sense. If you've got someone on site and engaged/interacting with content, direct them to either A) buy tickets for the match or B) buy a pass to the view the next match online.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

woule be great if people with knowledge of the French sports (media) market can explain to us how big L'Equipe Live is in France

Well, its parent company is a long-established national daily sports newspaper, so their TV service comes with a large amount of brand recognition in France.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Relentlessly positive news.

I get the feeling that - for all intents and purposes - a new generation of British sports fans will get to see what we already know - that rugby league is a great, often sublime sport.

• Like 1

I don't know how long the annual payment deal will be available at the price it is now, but you'd struggle to argue against its value.   Effectively £10 a month for access to all games on demand.   It's great for those of us who can't make it to their own team's live matches.

• Like 4

Sky have confirmed to me that they do not know if their streaming service will come at an additional cost to the usual sky sports subscription. They say that it will be a 3rd party streaming platform and details are not known at this time.

That doesn't make it easy for currently SS subscribers to make a decision whether to buy the season ticket at a really great price. If they don't then sky charge a load more for their streaming service (bundled with EFL games) then we will have missed out on the season ticket offer and have to pay £20 a month instead.. Equally, if I buy the season ticket and then find out I can get it free with my current sky subscription, I am out of pocket. I might see if the RFL have any idea... 😉

It's the only negative I can see at the moment, but it needs some clarity.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My first experience of this is my excited brother in the US heading to the link on the announcement to hand over cash for an annual pass for the "global" streaming service.

To be met with an inability to sign up with no meaningful error message (just hanging at the payment screen). Then contacts them and gets the response it isn't available in the US (after first receiving misleading support messages telling him to waste time trying various other methods of registering).

So that's one reasonably large market where this "global" streaming solution doesn't work.

Edited by FearTheVee

4 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

My first experience of this is my excited brother in the US heading to the link on the announcement to hand over cash for an annual pass for the "global" streaming service.

To be met with an inability to sign up with no meaningful error message (just hanging at the payment screen). Then contacts them and gets the response it isn't available in the US (after first receiving misleading support messages telling him to waste time trying various other methods of registering).

So that's one reasonably large market where this "global" streaming solution doesn't work.

That's annoying. Is he or you able to contact them and let them know the registration process isn't working?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's annoying. Is he or you able to contact them and let them know the registration process isn't working?

He has told them, but it isn't the registration process per-se, it's the fact it's not available in the US but there is nothing that makes that clear when people from the US try to register.

He has previously asked loads of times what the rights position is in the US (used to be on Fox Soccer plus USED but they don't show it anymore) but never gets a response.

No doubt this will be an issue in other jurisdictions also.

Edited by FearTheVee

34 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

He has told them, but it isn't the registration process per-se, it's the fact it's not available in the US but there is nothing that makes that clear when people from the US try to register.

He has previously asked loads of times what the rights position is in the US (used to be on Fox Soccer plus USED but they don't show it anymore) but never gets a response.

That's really frustrating. The whole point is that this should be a global platform. If there are rights holders out there who have the rights but aren't showing the games, but who are still able to block regions signing up, then that is an issue.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's really frustrating. The whole point is that this should be a global platform. If there are rights holders out there who have the rights but aren't showing the games, but who are still able to block regions signing up, then that is an issue.

the release was verry clear: UK ans Ireleand were mentioned as exceptions. So probably onle technical learning problems

43 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

It's not against the law to use a VPN in the US, but it can be a contravention of terms of service of the TV channel.   And it's a few extra dollars per month.   Not sure how your brother interprets that, but it's an option in the US.   Definitely don't try it in China, Iran or the UAE though 🙂

23 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

the release was verry clear: UK ans Ireleand were mentioned as exceptions. So probably onle technical learning problems

The release was very clear. But it was also misleading as the response from SuperLeague+ support is:

"We regret to inform you that you will not be able to purchase as we do not hold the broadcast rights on the USA.

We do not have any future updates what is the broadcast partner in the USA as per yet, please keep an eye on the website on the FAQs as will be updated within the next couple of weeks."

Edited by FearTheVee

15 minutes ago, Fly-By-TheWire said:

It's not against the law to use a VPN in the US, but it can be a contravention of terms of service of the TV channel.   And it's a few extra dollars per month.   Not sure how your brother interprets that, but it's an option in the US.   Definitely don't try it in China, Iran or the UAE though 🙂

Yeah, but the point is this should make it easy in overseas markets rather than people having to use (rights violating) workarounds.

Edited by FearTheVee