2024 attendance thread

8 hours ago, JonNgog said:

Wakey vs Bradford is sold out! When is the last time that happened in the Championship??

Wakefields capacity is somewhere between 7,500 & 7,900, I’m not sure which because there’s been conflicting reports.

Either way, it’s an amazing achievement for the club to sell out!

• Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 20:29, Exiled Wiganer said:

Is that the attendance or tickets sold/allocated? I think the figure should always be tickets sold/allocated, because that takes out “life” choices/illness etc.

I’ve not got a clue how they work it out EW, but the person who bought the ticket and stayed at home thought he made a wise move. 

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

I’ve not got a clue how they work it out EW, but the person who bought the ticket and stayed at home thought he made a wise move. 

I think it is now done on actual attendance at the game and not tickets sold

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

All done on tickets sold from what I can gather from a couple of sources

Incorrect.

IMG stipulate that only fans in attendance are counted for gradings (though I suppose clubs could announce one thing publicly, and report another to IMG).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dboy said:

Incorrect.

IMG stipulate that only fans in attendance are counted for gradings (though I suppose clubs could announce one thing publicly, and report another to IMG).

attendance or paid attendance? Anything to stop clubs papering the stands with freebies?

5 hours ago, dboy said:

Incorrect.

I stand corrected, good knowledge (although it does mean the figures in the public domain are pretty much useless!) 

On 12/03/2024 at 03:06, going for the corner said:

According to Google just under 700 miles.

I was going to call your use of imperial measurements as blasphemy and consider reporting you and the forum to the EU, then I remembered the whole Brexit thing.

Then I remembered a story of some street green grocer who refused to sell his fruit in metric measurements. I am pretty sure he was repeatedly fined. He was like the Imperial Measurement Martyr. 

Now that Brexit has occurred, are British returning to their imperial measurement ways, or has everything remained metric?

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I was going to call your use of imperial measurements as blasphemy and consider reporting you and the forum to the EU, then I remembered the whole Brexit thing.

Then I remembered a story of some street green grocer who refused to sell his fruit in metric measurements. I am pretty sure he was repeatedly fined. He was like the Imperial Measurement Martyr. 

Now that Brexit has occurred, are British returning to their imperial measurement ways, or has everything remained metric?

Britain has always moving to the metric system, inch by inch...

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s a mixture I believe officially and by preference person by person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

I understand the discussion about crowd figures being tickets or people in the crowd but how does that differing in imperial and metric!?!

Some clubs (e.g Bradford last season) were counting the number of feet in the ground?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Brexit has nothing to do with it, older people tend to use imperial measurements, younger people increasingly use metric. I like our archaic use of the imperial system. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Brexit has nothing to do with it, older people tend to use imperial measurements, younger people increasingly use metric. I like our archaic use of the imperial system. 

Brexit may not but I am pretty sure the EU, Britains former membership of, has plenty to do with it. Could have sworn when I arrived in UK, shops were still selling fruit and veg by imperial measurements until the EU forced the metric system upon the UK. 

Trying to keep in keeping with this thread, do we think EU membership and/or subsequently Brexit has had any effect on RL attendances?

10 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Brexit may not but I am pretty sure the EU, Britains former membership of, has plenty to do with it. Could have sworn when I arrived in UK, shops were still selling fruit and veg by imperial measurements until the EU forced the metric system upon the UK. 

Trying to keep in keeping with this thread, do we think EU membership and/or subsequently Brexit has had any effect on RL attendances?

Some things like miles never changed to metric, signs were always in miles and they have always been the measure people use. Britain has always had dual systems of measurements in operation, hence both MP/H and KM/PH being displayed on a speedometer. There are a lot of myths around the EU, but that's for another forum.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some things like miles never changed to metric, signs were always in miles and they have always been the measure people use. Britain has always had dual systems of measurements in operation, hence both MP/H and KM/PH being displayed on a speedometer. There are a lot of myths around the EU, but that's for another forum.

Yeah fair point, I forgot you heathens were still driving at any particular mile per hour 😊 

8 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah fair point, I forgot you heathens were still driving at any particular mile per hour 😊 

It's funny, journeys in countries with signs in KM always feel much quicker to me as they are counting down much quicker. Either that or our roads and traffic are *****, or both!

Edited by Damien

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It's funny, journeys in countries with signs in KM always feel much quicker to me as they are counting down much quicker. Either that or our roads and traffic are *****, or both!

Well you are obviously going faster in those countries because you’re driving at a speed with a higher number. It’s hardly rocket surgery.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well you are obviously going faster in those countries because you’re driving at a speed with a higher number. It’s hardly rocket surgery.

Obviously I'm talking about equivalent distances. It's very noticeable travelling from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland and vice versa.

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes fair enough the EU did force that and it hasn’t changed back. But no I don’t think it’s had any impact whatsoever on attendances. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes fair enough the EU did force that and it hasn’t changed back. 

The Metrication Act was passed in 1965, well before the UK joined the EU. 

• Like 4