‘Major blow to Challenge Cup’

This is a headline on the Serious about Rugby League website, apparently lamenting the final on June 8 will clash with the rugby union grand final on at the same time and date.

What a load of B. S.!! It will only help to emphasise the difference in quality of League over Union and am willing to believe that we will easily win the battle for viewers, especially being on BBC 1.

• Like 13

This is a quote from the article:

This could work against the final and reduce mainstream media coverage and potentially hurt the attendance.

I suppose it could impact media coverage - although there are always major sports events to draw media attention that time of year.

But hurting the attendance? Maybe I am wrong but I can't see many people who would have gone to the Challenge Cup final missing ot because it clashed with the Union final.  Is there really an overlap between the two audiences. 

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Few things on this. Firstly, it is SaRL which is a horrendous click bait site. 

Secondly, it is Cam Pattison who is the worst of their bunch. 

Thirdly, I have no idea when this is from. It seems to be a rehash of an article from last year because it talks about a guaranteed record crowd. 

It's a mess and I suggest we don't bother quoting them on this forum tbh. 

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Few things on this. Firstly, it is SaRL which is a horrendous click bait site. 

Secondly, it is Cam Pattison who is the worst of their bunch. 

Thirdly, I have no idea when this is from. It seems to be a rehash of an article from last year because it talks about a guaranteed record crowd. 

It's a mess and I suggest we don't bother quoting them on this forum tbh. 

Absolutely agree, everytime I see a link to a SaRL article I just know it's going to be rubbish.

Unfortunately there is a serious lack of quality in RL media these days and much of it seems to be rehashes of old articles or copied with a few tweaks from other writers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

It'll probably also clash with some cricket as well. Maybe tennis. And golf. When the Euros on?

Not until the 14th June.

To be honest, having the Challenge Cup final before Wimbledon, the British Grand Prix, the Euros and the Olympics means no serious clash.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If all it's clashing with is some club RU game, then that's great news!

Nobody who actually likes sport will be watching that pile of...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do people remember when the union mob tried to engage in a bit of warfare by playing an England game in Manchester at the same time as the Grand Final at OT, they lost out on all counts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It's on Sarl, nuff said.

Seperatley though, the click bait s**t that kept popping up on my feeds from sarl really annoyed me, I finally blocked them and wish others would do the same. That site does more harm than good for rl.

• Like 2

The reality is that RU's domestic game is a bit of a damp squib media wise because they place such a massive emphasis on the international game. It works in reverse in RL though which is a bit of a tragedy.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RigbyLuger said:

Too much clickbait everywhere!

Are you sure

• Haha 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

Please ignore SARL it's a joke of a website.

But they say they are serious about Rugby League. 

Sorry for being a sceptic but I'm beginning to think there are some people on the Internet that you can't trust.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

This is a headline on the Serious about Rugby League website, apparently lamenting the final on June 8 will clash with the rugby union grand final on at the same time and date.

What a load of B. S.!! It will only help to emphasise the difference in quality of League over Union and am willing to believe that we will easily win the battle for viewers, especially being on BBC 1.

Spot on…

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Yeah that's nonsense. There is always a multitude of events that clash with the Challenge Cup final anyway. This is just another one.

Last year's Challenge Cup Final clashed with an England Rugby Union International at Twickenham against Wales. Didn't affect our crowd then and won't this time .

I seem to recall our match  far outshone theirs as well............

3 minutes ago, del capo said:

Last year's Challenge Cup Final clashed with an England Rugby Union International at Twickenham against Wales. Didn't affect our crowd then and won't this time .

I seem to recall our match  far outshone theirs as well............

Well that's not difficult 😂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But they say they are serious about Rugby League. 

Sorry for being a sceptic but I'm beginning to think there are some people on the Internet that you can't trust.

Save yourself a heart attack and don't go on the AOB section of the forum. It'll throw your whole view of 'Total Rugby League' into disarray.

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Doesn't matter a toss, although 100% sure  on BBC 1 the CC will have a larger audience however the reality is the  CC is dead as the dodo in the real world

I dont agree, the early rounds have been quality for years and again this year have been great. Sure the final no longer gets the crowd we would all like to see but it's certainly not dead as a dodo.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

But hurting the attendance? Maybe I am wrong but I can't see many people who would have gone to the Challenge Cup final missing ot because it clashed with the Union final.  Is there really an overlap between the two audiences. 

A small sample but...

Every year I run a trip to the Challenge Cup final that we use as a bit of a meet up for friends now living around the country, one of those that meets up with us is a mate who was born and brought up in London and still lives there. Each year he orders 10 tickets (it has been as high as 12 one year) and brings mates who are all union followers. This year he has asked for 10 tickets again, and yes they all knew it clashed with the Union final.

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Doesn't matter a toss, although 100% sure  on BBC 1 the CC will have a larger audience however the reality is the  CC is dead as the dodo in the real world

Yes you're right we should just bin the game which almost always gets the largest viewing figures for a club match in the northern hemisphere. You're a genius.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1