‘Major blow to Challenge Cup’

9 hours ago, M j M said:

Yes you're right we should just bin the game which almost always gets the largest viewing figures for a club match in the northern hemisphere. You're a genius.

And despite smaller crowds than in the past, still one of the top two attendance figures every year.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Padge said:

Do people remember when the union mob tried to engage in a bit of warfare by playing an England game in Manchester at the same time as the Grand Final at OT, they lost out on all counts.

What ground did they play at? 

10 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Doesn't matter a toss, although 100% sure  on BBC 1 the CC will have a larger audience however the reality is the  CC is dead as the dodo in the real world

What club sports in Europe other than football and the occasional Union game get over 50k to their final? Every other sport must be dead too. 

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Etihad.

They had wanted to play 3 games at OT iirc including England vs Uruguay. OT said no because that final game clashed with the Grand Final and Union took their England (dead rubber) game to the Etihad and the other 2 ganes elsewhere.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Etihad.

They had wanted to play 3 games at OT iirc including England vs Uruguay. OT said no because that final game clashed with the Grand Final and Union took their England (dead rubber) game to the Etihad and the other 2 ganes elsewhere.

United also didnt want Old Trafford to have games of RU because they thought it would destroy the pitch.

Edited by Damien

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

United also didnt want Old Trafford to have games of RU because they thought it would destroy the pitch.

The biggest problem was even Old Trafford doesn’t serve enough prawn sandwiches to accomodate a RU international fixture.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

This is a quote from the article:

This could work against the final and reduce mainstream media coverage and potentially hurt the attendance.

I suppose it could impact media coverage - although there are always major sports events to draw media attention that time of year.

But hurting the attendance? Maybe I am wrong but I can't see many people who would have gone to the Challenge Cup final missing ot because it clashed with the Union final.  Is there really an overlap between the two audiences. 

There are quite a lot of people down here who follow both codes 

However I'd say less of a problem than if it was an international. Unlike CC final there are less people who will go to the Premier final as a neutral 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Etihad, England 60 - 3 Uruguay att. 50,778. Capacity 53,400

Meanwhile at Old Trafford Leeds 22 - 20 Wigan att. 73,512 a sell out.

• Thanks 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

57 minutes ago, Skippy said:

At last year's Challenge Cup final I saw a few union fans who had gone along for a look, so I wouldn't say it would be zero effect.

There's always a few at the CC Final, I don't know if the GF is the same draw to northern union fans, not Northern Union.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, Skippy said:

At last year's Challenge Cup final I saw a few union fans who had gone along for a look, so I wouldn't say it would be zero effect.

That’s good, because having seen the excitement of the Leigh Hull KR CC final they’ll probably go to this year’s game instead of the Union borethon. 

8 hours ago, Griff said:

I'd be far more worried if I were a Union fan.

Yes, I would be re-evaluating all my life choices. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I would be re-evaluating all my life choices. 

Possibly going into the library alone, with a bottle of Armagnac and a revolver.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, longboard said:

I don't think a revolver is essential on Woodhouse Lane.

Harehills on the other hand......

https://www.crafted-social.co.uk/library-leeds

Harsh. Wonderful city Leeds and I wouldn't seek a laugh out of the issues of a suburb where so many are working to shake off that kind of reputation and improve the lot of some very unfortunate people. Sometimes feel that though places can be a bit edgy on occasion, the people there can be more genuine (or at least humble) than some of your 4x4 drivers in the leafier neighbourhoods.

21 hours ago, N2022 said:

Harsh. Wonderful city Leeds and I wouldn't seek a laugh out of the issues of a suburb where so many are working to shake off that kind of reputation and improve the lot of some very unfortunate people. Sometimes feel that though places can be a bit edgy on occasion, the people there can be more genuine (or at least humble) than some of your 4x4 drivers in the leafier neighbourhoods.

Harsh but fair. 😉

I'm really enjoying the Serious About Rugby League website.  Before this thread, I wasn't really aware of it.

To pass a few minutes I find the most outrageous headlines and then try and guess how they will try and shoe-horn the headline into the actual story.

Some of the accomplishments are a real credit to the trade of trash sensationalist journalism.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris