Whitehaven 1895 cup

Something we are missing is someone with pure pace, when Burns broke through in the first half anyone backing up with pace to burn was in for a try and similarly when we charged down the kick a speedster would have been in. I suppose it’s something every team wants but natural speedsters are few and far between. However given it’s only Johnny Huttons 3rd game of pro rugby he looks a really useful player and is only going to get better with more experience. So while both clubs have got different recruitment policies I do like ours where we are prepared to give local lads a chance, and hopefully build with a really strong foundation. Although he’s out injured at the minute I think Jack Stephenson is going to make huge strides in the game and really look forward to seeing him develop.

• Like 3

Any reason big Grant never got on today? Was he not 100%? Or did Marwood replace him on the bench. He was announced as a sub on the tanoy? 

I thought haven got to grips with the game in the 2nd half once Ryan King started seeing more of the ball. 

6 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Something we are missing is someone with pure pace, when Burns broke through in the first half anyone backing up with pace to burn was in for a try and similarly when we charged down the kick a speedster would have been in. I suppose it’s something every team wants but natural speedsters are few and far between. However given it’s only Johnny Huttons 3rd game of pro rugby he looks a really useful player and is only going to get better with more experience. So while both clubs have got different recruitment policies I do like ours where we are prepared to give local lads a chance, and hopefully build with a really strong foundation. Although he’s out injured at the minute I think Jack Stephenson is going to make huge strides in the game and really look forward to seeing him develop.

Sabutey would have scorched up on his outside for the pass. Jack was outstanding against Batley. 

We're at an interesting stage where we compete with championship teams for large parts of games, it bodes well for the league season but it doesn't get any easier with Oldham and Keighley first up. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Sabutey would have scorched up on his outside for the pass. Jack was outstanding against Batley. 

We're at an interesting stage where we compete with championship teams for large parts of games, it bodes well for the league season but it doesn't get any easier with Oldham and Keighley first up. 

Thought we played well in parts but significantly tired in last 20 which made the difference, Bradley out on his feet after 65 mins and really needed a rest, 

31 minutes ago, townie88 said:

Any reason big Grant never got on today? Was he not 100%? Or did Marwood replace him on the bench. He was announced as a sub on the tanoy? 

I thought haven got to grips with the game in the 2nd half once Ryan King started seeing more of the ball. 

Grant was 18th man

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

Great game to watch, it's a pity the result went against us as for long periods we were the better team.

Most importantly hopefully our injuries aren't too bad. 

Played some good stuff at times and held our own against their bigger pack. It's a shame two mistakes led directly to tries and that proved the difference in the end. But loads of positives to take and Muz will definitely be the happier coach of the two. The Haven International select have a lot of work to do to stay in the championship playing like that.

For us our whole team played really well. Sammut has definitely had better games in a Town shirt, but it's a dead rubber game so not the end of the world. 

I found it quite amusing how much Haven and their fans celebrated winning, I suppose they may not have many chances to do so in the championship next season as some of their players were very poor. But I suppose it sets up the Ike very nicely. UTT! 

Apparently the fullback Cabbage is wanting away already as it's to cold and he won't train, I can see black clouds over haven this season.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

Apparently the fullback Cabbage is wanting away already as it's to cold and he won't train, I can see black clouds over haven this season.

He was pants today like, first touch a knock on 🙈

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

2 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Jordan Burns break happened in front of me, there was support both inside and outside, trouble was there was also Haven players in between that's why Jordan tried to dummy his way to the line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

Personally i think he will come good on the dry grounds, You do not become an international that easy even in PSG. I do not think he is anywhere near to being a cabbage though. 😉

Edited by troutmaster
Chit chat.
  • Like 3

Was impressed with town today, the better side for the majority of the game and played the conditions better. As for Haven, seems we are taking longer to gel than I imagined but with the grounds getting firmer and players to come back in I'm not panicking just yet. Think we're a better team when Carter leads us round the field.

Great attendance which is hopefully matched/improved for the Ike game 👏

• Like 3

9 hours ago, town blue said:

Jordan Burns break happened in front of me, there was support both inside and outside, trouble was there was also Haven players in between that's why Jordan tried to dummy his way to the line.

It wasn't far from me and Ecc was too far back , JB had to slow down to let the support catch up but by that time the defenders got there first and he had to go alone. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Great game to watch, it's a pity the result went against us as for long periods we were the better team.

Most importantly hopefully our injuries aren't too bad. 

Played some good stuff at times and held our own against their bigger pack. It's a shame two mistakes led directly to tries and that proved the difference in the end. But loads of positives to take and Muz will definitely be the happier coach of the two. The Haven International select have a lot of work to do to stay in the championship playing like that.

For us our whole team played really well. Sammut has definitely had better games in a Town shirt, but it's a dead rubber game so not the end of the world. 

I found it quite amusing how much Haven and their fans celebrated winning, I suppose they may not have many chances to do so in the championship next season as some of their players were very poor. But I suppose it sets up the Ike very nicely. UTT! 

You can’t blame them for celebrating an away win against us, we would have done the same. It was looking bleak for them at the end of last season so to win at DP must be a great feeling for them. I still don’t know how they went from non payment of players to signing overseas internationals, it’s a strange one, but they live to fight another day.

1 hour ago, Unicorn 106 said:

You can’t blame them for celebrating an away win against us, we would have done the same. It was looking bleak for them at the end of last season so to win at DP must be a great feeling for them. I still don’t know how they went from non payment of players to signing overseas internationals, it’s a strange one, but they live to fight another day.

I also am amazed how many out of county players they seem able to sign. I know championship is higher than ours but they had no surplus to carry forward to this season.

25 minutes ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

I also am amazed how many out of county players they seem able to sign. I know championship is higher than ours but they had no surplus to carry forward to this season.

There isn't the talent pool of players that would allow them to recruit local and stay in the championship

Edited by gillmeister

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

Very entertaining match and I can see improvement every game we play so hopefully we can avoid anymore injuries and have a good go at League 1 this season.

Unfortunate we have Oldham up first but I can see us being very competitive this year with what is mainly a squad built with local talent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gillmeister said:

There isn't the talent pool of players that would allow them to recruit local and stay in the championship

Yes I appreciate that but my very badly made comment was questioning how they can afford them. Aussies  PNG,s, italians and Welsh internationals were mentioned in the commentary.

7 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

I agree Unicorn 106,but let Whitehaven run the club how they want it to run has we should be grateful about the way that the Town Directors are running our club, and they are looking foward to the squad to try and win the second position in the league has Oldham will be red hot favourites to win Div1.When you are a Championship club you will find that most clubs will overspend just to try and compete with rest of them, I hope that Haven can stay in the Championship thiscseason... UPPT. 🏉🏉🏉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

I don't blame them for celebrating at all pal, I was just surprised how much they celebrated given that it was a meaningless game. If they win they Ike in a fortnight then its completely understandable. Also a few supporters were over celebrating to try and goad a reaction. Maybe it was relief after their first half display that they got off the hook. No big deal though, it just made me smile.

Somebody must have put some money in, I can see the logic in bringing in overseas players that live in the area opposed to lads that travel from Yorks/Lancs at a premium. It's just a gamble whether you get caviar or cabbage as they all look like caviar on youtube reels. Then if you do get a good one there's always a bigger club willing to take them off your hands.

• Like 3

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

I don't blame them for celebrating at all pal, I was just surprised how much they celebrated given that it was a meaningless game. If they win they Ike in a fortnight then its completely understandable. Also a few supporters were over celebrating to try and goad a reaction. Maybe it was relief after their first half display that they got off the hook. No big deal though, it just made me smile.

Somebody must have put some money in, I can see the logic in bringing in overseas players that live in the area opposed to lads that travel from Yorks/Lancs at a premium. It's just a gamble whether you get caviar or cabbage as they all look like caviar on youtube reels. Then if you do get a good one there's always a bigger club willing to take them off your hands.

If we beat them at Dominoes I would be celebrating 😎 They do have some unsavoury young so called fans. I doubt they are even interested in the game and probably don’t attend home games 🙄

11 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

If we beat them at Dominoes I would be celebrating 😎 They do have some unsavoury young so called fans. I doubt they are even interested in the game and probably don’t attend home games 🙄

Probably right Unicorn, will be those that just appear for these type of games. All three Cumbrian sides have them I’m afraid. Don’t think promoting games as War at Workington helps as although we would laugh at it some young ones nowadays take these things literally. Shame it can’t just be good old fashioned banter. Must be getting too old 😩sounding like a grumpy old #@&?§€ 😂

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

Yes I appreciate that but my very badly made comment was questioning how they can afford them. Aussies  PNG,s, italians and Welsh internationals were mentioned in the commentary.

Some of the new directors at Whitehaven have been able to contribute some cash to recruit these overseas players, plus Des Byrne and the vice presidents have funded most of the traveller's expenses in getting them into the country and helping with the player's wages, just the same as Town supporter groups helping to recruit JS. 

• Like 1

Looking back at game on YouTube, town should have put the game to bed in first half,only for Saunders and sammut poor pass,we're haven got 2 trys.and sammut miss tackle in 2nd half for try,hopefully walker is back for next game,hopefully sammut can show is experience more and rain in is mavrick play a little bit ,so he can control the game with is kicking more, so we can start winning games, haven will be a lot tougher game next week. 

• Like 1