What Club Do You Support?

6 hours ago, daz39 said:

Ah, the one where an OAP on our bus got hit by flying glass from the bricked coach window!

I'll take your word for it, I was 6 at the time.

• Like 1

The team I follow week in week out.... North Wales Crusaders, since their formation in 2011. Previously  i followed Crusaders RL in Super League - but on their demise decided Catalans Dragons could do with my support whenever I get a chance to watch them (in the UK and France)

The teams I managed for ten years until recently...North Wales Crusaders Wheelchair Rugby League and Wales Wheelchair Rugby League

The teams I play for....Chester Gladiators Masters RL are my club team...and I'm very proud to play for Wales Masters RL when selected (6 caps so far).... and since their formation in Wales, the Armed Forces Associates Masters RL. I'm also looking forward to playing in the Wales Masters Origin Series this season (as one of the exiles - although I live in Wales I'm classed as an exile because I play for Chester).

• Like 4

According to my dad I went to my first Swinton game in 1977 when I was about 3, he used to take me and our kid and let us run around the ground in a race and then say he hadn't seen who had won so send us round again! Don't think you could get away with that now, but at least we weren't fat as kids! 

Still got my season ticket after all these years and countless grounds, amateur's wise its Folly Lane. I lived about 400 yards away from both grounds growing up.

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Nominally a Leeds fan via my dad, and I lived just inside Leeds for a few years. But I was born and lived in Bradford so I feel a connection there, and have seen a few Northern/Bulls games as well though wouldn't call myself a fan. I'm an armchair viewer these days.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, my first game was the 1984 Lancashire Cup final between Wigan and Saints at Central Park.

I was born and raised just outside Wigan and started playing and watching in '84 when I was 14.

For a fair time I was a mad Wigan fan (home games and a lot of Friday A team games).

But a combination of things wore down my passion for Wigan (i.e. the Wigan winning first and foremost part of being a fan)... their run of success in the late 80's and 90's, moving away from Wigan for University and then work, and I guess the fact none of my family were Rugby League fans so there wasn't that generational element that roots support.

These days, I am more interested in the wider game but I pick teams I enjoy seeing do well... still Wigan of course, whichever NRL team has the most Brits in (so Newcastle and the Raiders this year I guess) and the London amateur teams.  I will support any of them but seeing as though London Chargers were the first I watched (and the one which I think is officially based in Chiswick where I live), I will go with them.

And England Internationally (and far and away when I am my most nervous and emotionally invested watching a game... luckily we don't play enough international Rugby League for it to affect my health).

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 03/03/2024 at 06:32, Adelaide Tiger said:

1969, you lucky bu$$er!

Mine was around 1971 had to wait 15 years before walking up Wembley Way.

Hi Adelaide Tiger . I was only 2 when I went to my first game haha . It was another 5 or 6 years before I got my first season ticket and started to understand the game . I used to run up and down the steps at the Railway End watching the A Team games (not Mr T's gang, the reserves haha) and wishing I could operate the scoreboard which was done by a couple of lads changing big number plates whenever somebody scored . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Is this Wikipedia 😛 

sORRY !  Tis a true story and i understand Russell Crowe will play me in the movie!

Really moving south having kids and 30 plus years holiday in south of france!

• Like 2

Wakefield Trinity. Can't really remember my first game so I'll say 1987. Fell in love with sport properly in 1997 with the lions v Australia. My favorite Aussie players were Lockyer, Wendell Sailor and Gordon Talis so as result I also support Brisbane Broncos.

I'm in my second season watching the Wire. Met some decent folk at Warrington.Watched Oldham for most of my life but got fed up of the previous administration at Oldham. I wasn't enjoying the game.I do however hope the new administration get the club further up the rugby league ladder and progress off the pitch too. I'm loving watching Superleague,the skill,the speed,the power,the atmosphere,it's a different world in comparison to what I was used to. I might pop in on Oldham no and then,I don't know yet.

Edited by moorside roughyed

Although London Skolars is my team, I am looking for a second team in the pro/semi pro leagues. Not minded to follow Broncos given their behaviour towards us in recent years and frankly shaky future prospects. So I need a new team….

2 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Although London Skolars is my team, I am looking for a second team in the pro/semi pro leagues. Not minded to follow Broncos given their behaviour towards us in recent years and frankly shaky future prospects. So I need a new team….

Huddersfield are always needing more fans, you're welcome to join the cowbell army 🙂

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 06:20, David Shepherd said:

Featherstone. First game 1973 cup final (as a foetus)

The ultimate restricted view.

• Haha 4

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Rochdale Hornets ……..since late c. 19**’s, but now afar from the town and sadly, its ongoing problems!

For the youngsters: Hornets… one of the original 22 clubs forming the “Northern Union” 1895
and hopefully in posterum!

I love RL and support Cas even though I live south of the M62.

Living in Bristol means I have only ever watched games on TV but fell in love with the game in the 80s when it was on the BBC nearly every week and Eddie Waring's commentary was wonderful.

I'm disabled so travelling to games is difficult but I'm hoping to get to the Jungle one day!

• Like 3

Started supporting Balmain in 1985 and woulda went to first game in 86. 

As an Eastern Suburbs snob, I was never going to follow a team who plays home games in Campbelltown, so the merger didn’t interest me. Moved to Cronulla when I returned to Aus, never hated the Sharks, so been a big supporter of them since 2014. Up Up