Sat 9th-Sun 10th Mar: Challenge Cup - Fifth Round Match Thread

2 hours ago, Robert the Builder said:

Swinton Lions deserve better than the decisions they’re getting second half. 

In my view, its nothing to do with "getting decisions" or not. So many times at Central Park I used to join in the shouts of "forward" and "offside" only to be proved wrong when watching the recording at home afterwards. Swinton lost, sadly, because they took some wrong decisions, were poorly disciplined at times and  because they saved their best and most creative plays untill near the end, too late.  Thoroughly enjoyable game, though, and a case of "what could have been".

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

Swinton turned down two easy goal kicks in the first half which may have helped.But Sheffield also turned down some easy goal kicking chances and scored 6 points off one when they ran it.Swinton will beat better sides this season if they don't turn up with the right attitude.The General seems to be playing with less pressure now he is not full time.    

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Swinton turned down two easy goal kicks in the first half which may have helped.But Sheffield also turned down some easy goal kicking chances and scored 6 points off one when they ran it.Swinton will beat better sides this season if they don't turn up with the right attitude.The General seems to be playing with less pressure now he is not full time.    

Been impressed with Patten every time I've seen him this season.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

In my view, its nothing to do with "getting decisions" or not. So many times at Central Park I've joined in the shouts of "forward" and "offside" only to be proved wrong when watching the recording at home afterwards. Swinton lost, sadly, because they took some wrong decisions, were poorly disciplined at times and  because they saved their best and most creative plays untill near the end, too late.  Thoroughly enjoyable game, though, and a case of "what could have been".

Not a bad summary.  It started with the hooker gobbing off to the Ref, then followed by another player doing the same, Sheffield scored and the tone was set.

Tremendous Cup action on a busy day for those of us with 2 SL games and 2 NRL games to watch as well ! Phew !

Just sad that Batley's tremendous 18-14 win at former 'Cup Kings' Widnes wasn't available for viewing this evening.

Looking forward to Fev-Wakey on the Sportsman tomorrow - once upon a time a certain 'battle royal' at POR in the Cup - after the Dolphins-Cowboys Queensland 'derby'.

• Like 4

Looks like it's going to be a bit of a lottery at Fev this aft.  Really torrential here, close to POR.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

With all this rain, should be the usual mud bath at Fev . I can envisage a dour contest

It will be a mud bath, precisely because it's rained heavily and persistently. But "the usual" is garbage. Last real mudbath I can remember at POR is the Leigh home game in February 2022.

Thousands of games of rugby league have been played in muddy conditions over the course of well over 100 years and I'm not sure why it should become an issue now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It will be a mud bath, precisely because it's rained heavily and persistently. But "the usual" is garbage. Last real mudbath I can remember at POR is the Leigh home game in February 2022.

Thousands of games of rugby league have been played in muddy conditions over the course of well over 100 years and I'm not sure why it should become an issue now.

The problem with you Fev supporters is that you don't know what a good pitch looks like, never mind one that is flat and full size.🤣👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

The problem with you Fev supporters is that you don't know what a good pitch looks like, never mind one that is flat and full size.🤣👍

Oh dear, entitled much?
Nothing wrong with the pitch at Fev which, by the way, has been full size for a number of years...do try and keep up.

Don't remember having many complaints about it causing injures like this from last year, anyway...
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wakefield-trinity-pitch-pictures-impact-26390411

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/tom-johnstone-wakefield-pitch-injuries-26281719

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

is the fev v wakey match free on youtube?

Yes on sportsman channel.

i’ll be there. Shame about the weather but hopefully still ends up being a good match. 

For some of Trinity new signings from overseas this will be a first playing on a heavy muddy pitch so no idea how this game will go. 

Edited by Trojan Horse

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

2 mins in and the field has already cut up, what will it be like at 80mins.

I switched on after 5 minutes and thought it was the second half based on the mud on their shirts!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Should be a tight contest in these conditions. So many Cup hopes have perished at POR down the decades. Powell knows it will be a battle.

Not too long since Powell's Fev side eliminated Ian Millward's Castleford there in the 2012 Challenge Cup

That was a nasty cheap shot by Fev's 9. No need to slide in like that.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Corrections welcome, but  being below SL level are all tackles supposed to be armpit level or below, or is it relaxed to SL rules because it is the Challenge Cup?

That's just in the amateur game this year.

• Thanks 1