Fri 22nd Mar-Sun 24th Mar: The Betfred Challenge Cup Sixth Round Match Thread

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

It has to be disappointing for Leeds to lose against Saints at home again. Last week in particular Saints were there for the taking and Leeds looked well on top for much of the first half. They have spent big and got the players but still look like something is missing. Smith still has a lot to prove and has now run out of excuses.

I'm glad I couldn't watch because I was at work 🙃 

Smith's reaction. 

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Smith's reaction. 

My word, that's a petulant post-match interview. Everyone has a few complaints in a game (although playing in a monsoon tends to make me more forgiving of mistakes by both players and ref). But if Smith watched that and thought the only reason Leeds didn't win was 2 deflections and a "barge", then he needs to give his head a wobble. Saints were clearly dominant in possession, yardage and territory for the great majority of that game, and Leeds' only try came from an interception. Leeds probably owed the conditions for not losing by 20 or 30 tonight. 

He might also find he's without Lisone next week. I reckon if it had been normal Sky quality coverage, we could have seen a red out there for what looked like a late shoulder to the head after the ball had gone. Sky would have instantly replayed it, and Kendall would have had the video ref in his ear. It was possibly only because the BBC were filming on Ray French's old Nokia that play continued. The MRP might have a look at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigogo said:

Was Brown saying Wanga Blake all night? Is that how you pronounce it?

Yes. Q is pronounced ng in Fijian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

43 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

My word, that's a petulant post-match interview. Everyone has a few complaints in a game (although playing in a monsoon tends to make me more forgiving of mistakes by both players and ref). But if Smith watched that and thought the only reason Leeds didn't win was 2 deflections and a "barge", then he needs to give his head a wobble. Saints were clearly dominant in possession, yardage and territory for the great majority of that game, and Leeds' only try came from an interception. Leeds probably owed the conditions for not losing by 20 or 30 tonight. 

He might also find he's without Lisone next week. I reckon if it had been normal Sky quality coverage, we could have seen a red out there for what looked like a late shoulder to the head after the ball had gone. Sky would have instantly replayed it, and Kendall would have had the video ref in his ear. It was possibly only because the BBC were filming on Ray French's old Nokia that play continued. The MRP might have a look at that.

Dod you miss the bitt where he said Saints were the better side and Leeds were far off where they needed to be?

he’s right about the ruck by the way, the reffing has regressed on this since what looked like something they'd gotten hold of.

Saints were far better than Leeds tonight who had there worst game of the season .

You might be missing Clarke for a game or two, after his contribution in the melee, absolutely no need to whack Holroyd from behind to smack him into the hoardings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Having said that RL can be so frustrating, thinking of going to the Batley v Cas game tomorrow- went on to the Batley website to see how to get a ticket, as far as i can see the game doesn’t even get mentioned!

Just looked myself 

Utterly extraordinary ...

They are playing a SL club at home and no mention nevermind fanfare 

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Having said that RL can be so frustrating, thinking of going to the Batley v Cas game tomorrow- went on to the Batley website to see how to get a ticket, as far as i can see the game doesn’t even get mentioned!

Just turn up and give them £20

https://www.facebook.com/BatleyBulldogsRLFC/posts/pfbid0zaRgfK6WaeMvgK12usVU6VGGdfKx839gjKb9MGd1LpwoLbxDPbtJuDZKCkbey9Eyl?locale=en_GB

Also the game is today, so don't go tomorrow.

Edited by Hopie
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Smith's reaction. 

Oh my, that's not good and the it's always someone else's fault excuses weared thin months ago.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just looked myself 

Utterly extraordinary ...

They are playing a SL club at home and no mention nevermind fanfare 

Its all a bit amateur, which is fair enough given the resources, but it explains a lot about the limitations of many of our clubs.

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Oh my, that's not good and the it's always someone else's fault excuses weared thin months ago.

You're telling me! 

Yet again one flukey long range try is all for Leeds to take from a game in attack this season. There's no excuse.

• Like 2

one of those occasions where the thread was more entertaining than the game!, there are some funny buggas on here

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Sorry I was being a bit facetious. I don't even know what any of those terms even mean.

Ultimately, picture quality of terrestrial TV Red Button. Someone in here will know, but I reckon red button on normal TV through an aerial has a lower quality picture than normal. Might be wrong if course, but I did predict a Saints win.

8 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Terrible game that with two teams churning out poor quality and rubbish commentary. 

Binned it off at half time. 

You missed a great second half. Scintillating long distance tries, a bit of biff, the refs shorts got ripped, several well- endowed streakers and the sun came out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Its all a bit amateur, which is fair enough given the resources, but it explains a lot about the limitations of many of our clubs.

It would take 15 minutes to stick it on the website....if there is genuinely no one with the time at the club surely there must be trusted club volunteers who can look after things like that 

Hope you get there and boo Cas!

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You missed a great second half. Scintillating long distance tries, a bit of biff, the refs shorts got ripped, several well- endowed streakers and the sun came out.

You forgot to mention the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse arriving upon thundering storm clouds, only to be kicked off the pitch by the ref for not having sock ties on....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

one of those occasions where the thread was more entertaining than the game!, there are some funny buggas on here

I know, some people on here seem to have been lifted straight out of a 1970's sitcom.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I know, some people on here seem to have been lifted straight out of a 1970's sitcom.

phwoarrr, core blimey!

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Smith's reaction. 

At one point he says , "what can you do?" Well, and this applies to ALL coaches, not just interim newbies like Smiffy,  you can stop moaning and focus on the teams on-field performance: individual, team, subs strategy, discipline, skills, fitness, speed, passing, kicking, tactics, etc. That helps us fans better undertstand the game. His comments , and any other similar from other coaches, should not go un-sanctioned. 

• Like 2