What is the worst game you've ever been to?

Just looking up the date now gave me a touch of hypothermia!

It was 1 January 1984.  Cas was away at Bradford. A mild day in Cas when we set off.  Got into Odsal and the sun was still out.    But just before kick off the freezing fog descended.  It was so cold even Sherpa Tensing said ‘F@@@ it, I’m off home!’.

The pitch looked fine until you realised the grass was floating on a pond of ice water.  Both teams got bogged down.  It seemed, from memory, that the pitch between both 20m lines resembled my toilet after a beef vindaloo whilst both areas between the 20m and try lines were left in pristine condition.  The forwards were indistinguishable and the backs were adorned with icicles.

The freezing fog gave me a blinding headache.  So I went to the burger van and cadged five empty long plastic bags that the breadcakes - ooops, that’ll cause some lively discussion on here - came in.  Me and the mates each put one on our head.  The bags stood a good two feet in the air but the warm air inside stopped the headaches.  I would have said that we looked like a Marge Simpson tribute band but The Simpsons were still 5 years away from airing.

The result was a 2 all draw.  The crowd was 7,167.

• Like 4

2016 First State of Origin in Sydney. Queensland won 6-4.   Travelling to the game on the train and the build up in the stadium was great, then they kicked off.  

I'd finally got to a SoO and ticked one off my bucket list, but was so disappointed with the game. Having watched many of them on tv over the years there always seemed to be some great footy, great tries and a fair bit of biff but at this one I was bored.  I've watched most of the following ones on tv since and have seen some great games but this one just left me thinking, " is that it?".

• Sad 1

I know I've already picked my worst but would like to add the 3rd GB v Australia match at Elland Road late 1997.  We'd all rolled up expecting a tight decider only for Wendel Sailor to round Paul Atcheson early doors opening the flood gates. 

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1992 Sheffield eagles 20 - 16 Castleford

Peter Coyne debut - to say the build up didn't live up to expectations would be an understatement. Simply dreadful game

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

19 hours ago, Damien said:

It's always the real one sided hammerings that bore me to tears, particularly when the conditions are terrible. I remember going to Hull KR a few years ago for an Easter Monday game and Wigan absolutely battered Hull KR by about 70. Hull KR were woeful and it was also absolutely freezing and windy. it was one of those typical Easter Monday games that made you think the second game over that Easter weekend was just pointless. When you are stood on that old away terrace at Craven Park after driving there for a couple of hour, can't feel your hands or toes and frankly can't wait to get home again you do question your sanity.

Dunno, I thoroughly enjoyed watch the Kangaroos demolish GB in 2004 at Elland Rd. My mate and I were in the nosebleeds and the only Aussies within cooee of each other. The crowd swiftly lost its voice as ours continued to roar with every try. There was a kid about 7 years old sitting in front of me and my mate who was actually crying at half time. I remember thinking then, “kid, don’t sweat it, you’ll be getting used to losing to us as you grow up.” Seems like @17 stone giant didn’t enjoy it as much as I did.

16 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've only been to a handful of games, so it's an easy choice for me. Tri Nations final 2004 at Elland Road: Great Britain 4 - 44 Australia.

I knew the Aussies were top dogs in RL, but GB had had a good tournament until then, so I was optimistic of it at least being a decent contest.

Unfortunately Australia just blew us away in the 1st half.

• Haha 2

I do speak tongue in cheek there @Damien, whilst I enjoyed the Kangaroos allowing me to return serve for all the banter we endured pre-match from those around us, looking back, I really wish we lost that one.

• Like 2

Went to watch Sale rah rah couple years ago. Freezing. Kick fest. No skills. No excitement (still cracking game according to press). Felt all players and crowd glad when gsme ended…

Grand Final 2017 Cas just never got going 

Player said the bus was silent on the Friday heading to Manchester 

Leeds would of probably still won on the Night but would of been a lot closer if Hardaker had of been there. 

26th Feb, 1995.  Challenge Cup.

Workington 94  Leigh 4

4 Hours to get there, 14 hours to get home, but a lovely pub to break down in front of on the A595.

We did score the best try of the match though and i don't remember getting home !!! 🙂    Not all bad !!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

Grand Final 2017 Cas just never got going 

Player said the bus was silent on the Friday heading to Manchester 

Leeds would of probably still won on the Night but would of been a lot closer if Hardaker had of been there. 

That game never happened so this is a void post....

• Haha 2

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Elland Road 1990

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

18 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've only been to a handful of games, so it's an easy choice for me. Tri Nations final 2004 at Elland Road: Great Britain 4 - 44 Australia.

I knew the Aussies were top dogs in RL, but GB had had a good tournament until then, so I was optimistic of it at least being a decent contest.

Unfortunately Australia just blew us away in the 1st half.

Isn't that the game that Noble decided to tinker with a winning formula before the final?

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

GB v Australia?

Yes mate.

• Like 1

York v Sheffield last month, 5 cards by half-time. I was seriously considering going home and I've seen us get beat 98-0 and hung about until the end.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Hard to answer for me being a wakey fan. Could pick any number of games. Losing 80-0 against Warrington 2015. Can't remember the year but we Bradford at the height of bullmania and lost something like 72-0. However I'll go for one from last season were we lost 0-8 at home to Huddersfield. I've never seen two sides try so hard not to score. 

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Dunno, I thoroughly enjoyed watch the Kangaroos demolish GB in 2004 at Elland Rd. My mate and I were in the nosebleeds and the only Aussies within cooee of each other. The crowd swiftly lost its voice as ours continued to roar with every try. There was a kid about 7 years old sitting in front of me and my mate who was actually crying at half time. I remember thinking then, “kid, don’t sweat it, you’ll be getting used to losing to us as you grow up.” Seems like @17 stone giant didn’t enjoy it as much as I did.

We were cutting it fine arriving at that game so I dropped my friends off and went to find somewhere to park. By the time I got in we were 20 points down and it just got worse after that. Was thoroughly, thoroughly depressed.

Seems to be a few Widnes fans joining in, so I remember a first round play-off game at Barrow where we got hammered on a miserable afternoon in pouring rain. That was another lowlight.

4 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I know I've already picked my worst but would like to add the 3rd GB v Australia match at Elland Road late 1997.  We'd all rolled up expecting a tight decider only for Wendel Sailor to round Paul Atcheson early doors opening the flood gates. 

I suppose I could bracket Elland Road 1990, 1994, 1997 and 2004 in terms of great expectation but I have already named my worst in terms of atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

26th Feb, 1995.  Challenge Cup.

Workington 94  Leigh 4

4 Hours to get there, 14 hours to get home, but a lovely pub to break down in front of on the A595.

We did score the best try of the match though and i don't remember getting home !!! 🙂    Not all bad !!

I too went to this game....by 1995 i'd stopped going watching Leigh regularly but a mate asked me if I fancied going... I'd somehow got it into my mind that Workington had run up 100 points...

I can't really say looking back it's a bad memory though....all part of life really, something to look back on etc.. 

Wire v Leeds GF eliminator 2011. We were the best team by an absolute mile that season, but Leeds just had that play off nous that we didn't. It really SHOULD have been our year, but they did us with that penalty on the hooter. I still feel sick thinking about it!!

2015, Broncos v Fev (4-36) in the Championship Shield final at Widnes - late Sunday afternoon kick off, Broncos just didn't turm up and the M6 was awful on the drive home. Still never seen Broncos win a trophy as both play off finals were overseas and was unable to attend

6 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Ah yes - another corker! If I remember correctly, there was horrendous traffic on the motorway and people were abandoning their cars and walking to the ground. We got in just in time for kick off and didn't Ken Nagas score inside a minute, or am I mis-remembering?

1 hour ago, Andy JG said:

I too went to this game....by 1995 i'd stopped going watching Leigh regularly but a mate asked me if I fancied going... I'd somehow got it into my mind that Workington had run up 100 points...

I can't really say looking back it's a bad memory though....all part of life really, something to look back on etc.. 

I reckon the reason you thought we had scored 100 points was because the ref started seeing non existent forward passes in the last 10 minutes, so we wouldn’t get to 100. But hey, we all have bad days, look at us now!
My worst ever game was my only ever rugby union match in 1967, South of Scotland v NZ All Blacks, it was pathetic ( and that was the All Blacks and they won by 40 points!) but it was a compulsory school trip. My best ever came a week later, when Cumberland beat a full strength Australia 17-15 at Derwent Park, a week before the 1st test on that Ashes trip. When I told my PE teacher about the vast gap in class between the 2 games, the bigot made my life hell, but that’s rugger union people for you.