Some interesting figures here.

2 minutes ago, Mark S said:

If only Super League players could earn those sort of salaries. It’s ridiculous that we have players running around earning poor wages.

Where's the money coming from to pay those though? That's the problem we have as a sport.

• Like 3

Interesting the top coach ($1.5 million per year) gets more than the top player ($1.4 million).

Although I expect Ponga to earn more than Craig Bellamy when endorsements and sponsorships come into play.

Shows that if a top player can transition to a top class coach then the long term earning potential is significant. 

I wonder what the comparison between top player and top coach is in the UK game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Interesting the top coach ($1.5 million per year) gets more than the top player ($1.4 million).

Although I expect Ponga to earn more than Craig Bellamy when endorsements and sponsorships come into play.

Shows that if a top player can transition to a top class coach then the long term earning potential is significant. 

I wonder what the comparison between top player and top coach is in the UK game.

In relation to this I was speaking with a young player the other week who is looking to buy a house. The bank would only let them have a 12 year mortgage as that is the expected career. Now to get round this if you do your coaching badges you can then get a normal 25 year mortgage. Just something I’ve never considered before. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

In relation to this I was speaking with a young player the other week who is looking to buy a house. The bank would only let them have a 12 year mortgage as that is the expected career. Now to get round this if you do your coaching badges you can then get a normal 25 year mortgage. Just something I’ve never considered before. 

That's really surprising... and annoying. 

In this day and age, how many 20 odd year olds are expected to be in the same job in 12 years.  People continue to earn and change careers all the time.

But good the badges are seen as a career in its own right.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

they are sponsored by KFC  the big car companies and Mc Donalds - we are sponsored by mushy peas and dodgy daves car lot

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

I heard Dodgy Dave has move to Tenerife.

damn! I just bought a 4 wheel drive robin reliant off of him!

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

I heard Dodgy Dave has move to Tenerife.

16 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

spacer.png

If that`s Dodgy Dave I don`t think he made it.

On 30/03/2024 at 15:20, bobbruce said:

That's ridiculous.....plenty of people have the expectation to change careers over a 25 year mortgage lifetime 

On 30/03/2024 at 15:20, bobbruce said:

I wonder if they would do this with a young footballer or RU player?  

In marked contrast, discussing this topic with a very reliable source I was surprised to learn that there was a player who played close to 150 Championship games including over 90 at Leigh and over 30 at Toronto who's contract salary never exceeded £15,000.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

In marked contrast, discussing this topic with a very reliable source I was surprised to learn that there was a player who played close to 150 Championship games including over 90 at Leigh and over 30 at Toronto who's contract salary never exceeded £15,000.

Guessing that will be a winger that never established himself as first choice. 

3 hours ago, phiggins said:

Guessing that will be a winger that never established himself as first choice. 

That’s not too bad if you a part time, an extra £15K on your salary is a decent side-hustle, as the kids call it.

5 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

I wonder if they would do this with a young footballer or RU player?  

RU, I'd expect it would be treated similarly. With a footballer, the difference is that he'd be making much more money as a salary, so while the principle remains similar, the chances are he wouldn't need 25 years to clear the mortgage on anything vaguely sensible.

5 minutes ago, Mark S said:

That’s not too bad if you a part time, an extra £15K on your salary is a decent side-hustle, as the kids call it.

But at championship level you're surely not that far short of full-time. Don't know what big-earning / professionally job you could fit in alongside the kind of training hours they must do. No expert, though.

18 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

That's ridiculous.....plenty of people have the expectation to change careers over a 25 year mortgage lifetime 

I've worked in mortgages for many years and this doesn't sound right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N2022 said:

But at championship level you're surely not that far short of full-time. Don't know what big-earning / professionally job you could fit in alongside the kind of training hours they must do. No expert, though.

Most youngsters who play sport will train 20 hours a week in the gym, group training sessions and games etc.. a lot of people spend 10 hours a week in the gym without playing sport. 

Guessing its more night time training and not many film sessions for championship especially when there's a distinct lack of film to watch