2024 Challenge Cup Semi-Final Draw

Hull KR v Wigan

Huddersfield v St Helens or Warrington

To be played on the 18th-19th May

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm glad that Hull KR and Huddersfield are at home. Will hopefully make the matches more competitive.

It’ll be neutral venues won’t it?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm glad that Hull KR and Huddersfield are at home. Will hopefully make the matches more competitive.

Neutral grounds arent they. 

16 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Hull KR vs Wigan will presumably be at Headingley or Huddersfield

The other one will probably be at Leigh?

Possibly Salford?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doc said:

Wigan v Warrington final?

Certainly a possibility. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Hull KR vs Wigan will presumably be at Headingley or Huddersfield

The other one will probably be at Leigh?

LSV only holds 10,500 - they’d be hoping for more than that surely, although looks very good with a full house

3 hours ago, doc said:

Wigan v Warrington final?

Hopefully.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Knowing Hull KR  this season so far, the semi will probably be played at Craven Park 🙂

I reckon ours will be at Salford or Leigh. 

We've yet to play a 'Lancashire' team in a semi final anywhere but Warrington or Salford recently.

The other will probably be at Headingley again.

Edited by daz39

13 hours ago, meast said:

Except no doubt Huddersfield will have to face a Lancashire side in their own back yard again I reckon 🤔 

How big do you think Warrington's back yard is?

17 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I reckon ours will be at Salford or Leigh. 

We've yet to play a 'Lancashire' team in a semi final anywhere but Warrington or Salford recently.

The other will probably be at Headingley again.

Are there any grounds between Huddersfield and Saints / Wigan / Warrington, that could host the game, that are in Yorkshire?

32 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Halifax, Leeds, Bradford but i think the point is it's never the Lancashire team having to travel.

I'm not sure what the lowest acceptable capacity would be, but the issue seems to be that there are no RL stadiums of the size required between Huddersfield and Salford, so if they are doing the 'obvious' thing of using a stadium in between the clubs, then it has been west of Manchester and Huddersfield have travelled further.

With Oldham back at Boundary Park, would that be an option? Unless they want to look at a football only ground (Edgeley Park or Gigg Lane?). But then there would be complaints that RFL money was going to another sport.

Edited by Barley Mow

The draw was shown live on the big screen in the ground, but with no sound so it wasn't clear that the women's draw was taking place first.

So you can imagine there was a lot of swearing in the Warrington end when 'St Helens' was drawn first, since it looked like they had already proclaimed themselves the winner of the ongoing match.

• Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 hours ago, daz39 said:

Halifax, Leeds, Bradford but i think the point is it's never the Lancashire team having to travel.

I don't think it being in Lancashire or Yorkshire comes in to it, it's more just making it as fair as possible in terms of distances. Having it somewhere like Salford means Huddersfield fans travel around 30 miles and Wire fans 15 miles and that makes far more sense then Huddersfield fans travelling 20 miles to Leeds but Wire fans having to travel 60 miles. Somewhere like Oldham would still be in Lancashire but Huddersfield fans would have less travelling to do. It's not a bad stadium at Boundary Park (holds around 13k) and with Oldham RL being back there now, maybe that could be an option (**Edit** Missed the fact Boundary Park had already been mentioned above). 

It's not anything against Huddersfield fans by the way. I saw a Wigan fan last night saying it's only fair that Hull KR should have to travel to Lancashire this year but Headingley is further away from Hull than Wigan is. Again it doesn't matter which side of the Pennines it's on, it is just a case of geography and making it as fair as possible. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Leeds is east of Huddersfield, and you're not going to play a cup semi final at Fax or Bradford.

As in "having to travel". You're not exactly having to travel a massive distance? Wigan will likely be travelling to Headingley, if Warrington were playing Hull KR in the semi final, it would probably be held at Huddersfield.

3 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I'm not sure what the lowest acceptable capacity would be, but the issue seems to be that there are no RL stadiums of the size required between Huddersfield and Salford, so if they are doing the 'obvious' thing of using a stadium in between the clubs, then it has been west of Manchester and Huddersfield have travelled further.

With Oldham back at Boundary Park, would that be an option? Unless they want to look at a football only ground (Edgeley Park or Gigg Lane?). But then there would be complaints that RFL money was going to another sport.

I'm not really complaining as i will go wherever it's played, obviously there is nowhere between due to the Pennines getting in the way, would just be nice to not have to try and source a very rare train journey from Huddersfield to somewhere West of Marsden.