2025 Transfer Tracker

Massive blow for Leigh that, especially if the rumours around Amone going back to the NRL come off. I'd say Asiata is well in the conversation for the best loose forward in the comp and I think Amone is probably the best prop knocking about at the minute. They'll need to be some replacements to not see a drop off. 

It's the IMG world. The team that is currently 11th, and regularly conceded 50 points can safely offer 3 year Super League deals to marquee players, while clubs above them have to wait until the end of October to find out what league they are in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, WN83 said:

Massive blow for Leigh that, especially if the rumours around Amone going back to the NRL come off. I'd say Asiata is well in the conversation for the best loose forward in the comp and I think Amone is probably the best prop knocking about at the minute. They'll need to be some replacements to not see a drop off. 

I'd be surprised if either Lams are still at the club next season as well tbh

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

I'd be surprised if either Lams are still at the club next season as well tbh

That's the problem you build a successful squad, bigger clubs come calling. Who are Leigh's marquee players, surprised Asiata wouldn't have been one. 

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

It's the IMG world. The team that is currently 11th, and regularly conceded 50 points can safely offer 3 year Super League deals to marquee players, while clubs above them have to wait until the end of October to find out what league they are in.

What absolute rubbish.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

That's the problem you build a successful squad, bigger clubs come calling. Who are Leigh's marquee players, surprised Asiata wouldn't have been one. 

Of course, that happens. I'm very surprised that he's going to Hull though. Moylan is on a marquee contract at Leigh, not sure you can have two non-fed or not?

Good signing, will add some much needed steel and quality to our backrow. Perhaps more importantly its a big statement of intent about the sort of player we are targeting and the money we are prepared to spend.

• Like 1

Just now, phiggins said:

Of course, that happens. I'm very surprised that he's going to Hull though. Moylan is on a marquee contract at Leigh, not sure you can have two non-fed or not?

It's 2 non fed and 1 fed trained(that fluctuates in cap value depending on if it's a club trained player). Moylan will be a non fed, Lam Jr will be the Fed spot. I'd assume Ipape is probably the other non-fed marquee.

Very sad to see Asiata go if true, I was always expecting to lose Amone back to the NRL but thought we might be able to keep Asiata. 

1 minute ago, up the robins said:

Good bit of business for fc that. 

Yeah I'm really pleased. All we need now are a scrum half, hooker, two second rowers, a centre and possibly a prop. 🤣

In all seriousness though we've not made a signing like this for a few years, and it is perhaps an indication that the rumoured investment is indeed coming on board and that things are changing. Asiata on a marquee deal is also the sort of signing that attracts other quality players to come on board. They see that the club is serious about about their ambition rather than just talking a good game.

I wonder if this also hints that the new coach is sorted too. Obviously the money is good, but Asiata doesn't strike me as the sort of player that would make a move like this for money alone. I'm sure he would have wanted assurances about who he is going to be playing for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Won't be helped by Leigh looking like they could be in danger so I guess a number of their players could be quite nervous and looking to get deals tied down.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Blues Ox said:

Won't be helped by Leigh looking like they could be in danger so I guess a number of their players could be quite nervous and looking to get deals tied down.

Yep. For all the talk of off field growth, the on field recruitment is still a massive part of that, and it's been hampered by the uncertainty. Same applies to Cas, and I imagine Toulouse.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’d be staggered if Leigh didn’t retain a Superleague spot or were even contemplating that being a possibility. I think they’re simply paying for their success last season and they might not think a 31 year old is quite worth marquee money. It’s a huge blow to lose him as I mentioned above but if they simply feel they can get better value and longevity elsewhere, it might not be the worst move. The issues for Leigh will come if Amone follows and Lam x2 as suggested above. 

Edited by WN83

The BBC say that the Asiata deal "to begin during the 2025 Super League season."

That's a really weird sentence, surely he has been signed for the start of the 2025 campaign.  Is is just poor English or is there something about the deal that starts mid-season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/articles/cd193v5gj88o

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

From what I can gather Leigh wanted to keep Asiata and offered a good deal, Hull have offered £220k+ per season on a 3 year deal and Lam isn’t getting into a bidding war and already has irons in the fire elsewhere. Asiata sees it as his last pay day before heading home. We will lose Amone aswell.

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The BBC say that the Asiata deal "to begin during the 2025 Super League season."

That's a really weird sentence, surely he has been signed for the start of the 2025 campaign.  Is is just poor English or is there something about the deal that starts mid-season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/articles/cd193v5gj88o

Just poor English I imagine. A deal being agreed to begin part way through the following season would be bizarre.

22 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Another IMG signing.

I don’t know what that means?

Wakefield have obviously proved themselves credible to McMeekin and they must have shared some as yet unknown info with him to make him confident in the club. Maybe some other signings, new stadia development, state of the art training facilities and truck loads of realistic ambition.

They have also probably shared their calculations re IMG but will have reiterated that they won’t be regaining Superleague status on that alone and will be going all out to win the Championship Play Offs, top the Championship League table and win the 1895 Cup!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I don’t know what that means?

Wakefield have obviously proved themselves credible to McMeekin and they must have shared some as yet unknown info with him to make him confident in the club. Maybe some other signings, new stadia development, state of the art training facilities and truck loads of realistic ambition.

They have also probably shared their calculations re IMG but will have reiterated that they won’t be regaining Superleague status on that alone and will be going all out to win the Championship Play Offs, top the Championship League table and win the 1895 Cup!

So you're confident that he would have signed for them if they weren't already nailed on to be in SL next year?

Posted (edited)

John is 31 and now Injury prone. Great player though. 

We have others who have grown to play in that pivot but we will miss his leadership. He still has a job to do. 

Amone needs tying up but I can’t see us holding on to him. 

I believe Leigh are interested in Patrick Mago, another prop I like but let’s see how it goes. Lots of twists and turns and Hull have had to release this one early to keep the interest on what is currently a very poor season

As for Leigh, it will be interesting to see if John pending departure has any bearing on the performance. Will we swim or sink ?

Edited by Snowys Backside