Operational Rules Breaches

St Helens have been fined £1,500, suspended until the end of the 2025 season, for breaches of the Operational Rules relating to stewarding, following an incident after the Betfred Super League fixture against Leigh Leopards on March 1.

Ste Maden, a member of the Leopards coaching staff, has been fined £1,000, again suspended until the end of the 2025 season, for breaches of the Operational Rules relating to behaviour standards, the Respect policy, and conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game.

Wind up a coach= Club fined £1500

Coach throws a bottle at a fans head= Club gets fined £1000

🤦‍♂️

Both clubs have been fined £0 at this stage, showing the RFL's commitment to ensuring high standards.

• Like 7

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Both clubs have been fined £0 at this stage, showing the RFL's commitment to ensuring high standards.

Yeah, neither offence should be suspended. That's a complete joke.

A suspended sentence should be for mild offences and serve as a warning not to do it again. It certainly should not be used for serious offences that the game should have a hard line on, like throwing a bottle at a fan.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

St Helens have been fined £1,500, suspended until the end of the 2025 season, for breaches of the Operational Rules relating to stewarding, following an incident after the Betfred Super League fixture against Leigh Leopards on March 1.

Ste Maden, a member of the Leopards coaching staff, has been fined £1,000, again suspended until the end of the 2025 season, for breaches of the Operational Rules relating to behaviour standards, the Respect policy, and conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game.

🤦‍♂️

I once spilt a pint over someone during the game Saints.  She wrung her sleeve out into her own pint glass.

No fine tho 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

A fine of £0 will show them 🤨

Right now you two we're going to have to punish these serious actions...if you do it again.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Yeah, neither offence should be suspended. That's a complete joke.

A suspended sentence should be for mild offences and serve as a warning not to do it again. It certainly should not be used for serious offences that the game should have a hard line on, like throwing a bottle at a fan.

I wouldn't mind it being suspended if it was a significant fine but lets be real this isn't at all.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2024 at 15:11, Tommygilf said:

I wouldn't mind it being suspended if it was a significant fine but lets be real this isn't at all.

Indeed. Suspended fines can only work if it is a significant fine hanging over them. It's a weird decision. 

• Like 1

On 05/05/2024 at 11:00, sam4731 said:

🤦‍♂️

Youve missed the point - if Saints had supervised this area correctly a fan wouldnt have been able to approach a non playing  player with the threats/abuse used barely a foot away from his face and there would be nothing to report. PS a virtually empty plastic water bottle is hardly a lethal weapon

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Youve missed the point - if Saints had supervised this area correctly a fan wouldnt have been able to approach a non playing  player with the threats/abuse used barely a foot away from his face and there would be nothing to report. PS a virtually empty plastic water bottle is hardly a lethal weapon

It doesn't matter if it's empty or not. The game shouldn't be tolerating coaches throwing objects at fans. If it wasn't a Leigh coach your tune would be very different. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I'm not saying Saints shouldn't have been punished. I am however saying that throwing something at someone is definitely worse that winding someone up.

Also if the bar is the needing it to lethal, it leaves open the plethora of objects coaches are allowed to throw at fans with no punishment by your reckoning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Virtually empty or actually empty? It would have been potentially lethal in a hard water area.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

It doesn't matter if it's empty or not. The game shouldn't be tolerating coaches throwing objects at fans. If it wasn't a Leigh coach your tune would be very different. 

of course I would, the bloke should get a min season ban for bringing my club into disrepute and the ground safety sacked. I would apologise to the member of opposition staff for our failure to create that safe space. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I'm not saying Saints shouldn't have been punished. I am however saying that throwing something at someone is definitely worse that winding someone up.

Also if the bar is the needing it to lethal, it leaves open the plethora of objects coaches are allowed to throw at fans with no punishment by your reckoning.

If in a fire someone was pushed downstairs due to blocking the exit, would you target the person who pushed or why the fire started? The fact is that if Saints had done what they should this wouldn't have happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

If in a fire someone was pushed downstairs due to blocking the exit, would you target the person who pushed or why the fire started? The fact is that if Saints had done what they should this wouldn't have happened.

Both as you’d want to know how the fire started but pushing someone downstairs in the event of a fire is incredibly stupid. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

So what you're saying is that the coach had no option but to throw the cup at the fan?

I think if we're going to use your analogy, we'll have to say that this person you talk of has ignored every possible exit just to push the person down the stairs that started the fire.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Both as you’d want to know how the fire started but pushing someone downstairs in the event of a fire is incredibly stupid. 

And assault.

• Haha 1

I took my nine year old grandson to the HKR/Saints match, he said “we got smoked grandad” which i didn’t have a clue and still don’t know what he meant. 
Worryingly he told me “he didn’t want to go to anymore away matches”, i can understand that after some of the behaviour from a minority Saints fans who insist on getting blitzed before a game and continue drinking during it. I understand if fans want to get drunk to deaden the boredom of watching Saints, but do they need to be so aggressive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly it's happening alot nowadays one of the worst incidents i have seen was at a Kent T/Twenty match at Canterbury local ferrels getting drunk and taking it out on a few Birmingham Bears (Warwickshire) fans it's disgusting.

Thank god the majority of fans are well behaved.