Applications to League 1 Open

14 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't recall anyone saying that. They got a team together at short notice and were signing students, local RU players and having trials. They certainly haven't splashed the cash on players.

Agreed - think Cornwall has been done on a budget which is why they haven't shot up the tables. Don't know much about them but if they are happy building slowly and steadily good luck to them. 

As I said earlier with cash I think it would be easy to buy success in League 1. The Championship would be a different matter 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Agreed - think Cornwall has been done on a budget which is why they haven't shot up the tables. Don't know much about them but if they are happy building slowly and steadily good luck to them. 

As I said earlier with cash I think it would be easy to buy success in League 1. The Championship would be a different matter 

Cornwall haven't splashed the cash on promotion so are a bad example to use against not being able to do that. The only club that we have seen do that was Toronto who did get promoted from League 1 with ease.

Cornwall have actually done it in the way that many have called for on here. They've obviously have had decent investment but on the field have tried to grow sustainably using a mix of hardened RL players and those new or newer to the game.

• Like 2

So a Yorkshire mens league team and a southern conference league team so far... I wonder if any top end NCL clubs fancy it as I would imagine they would be better suited for the step up in quality

TBH I'd imagine anyone promoted would have to rebuild their squad, whatever standard they now play. Are an entire top end NCL squad all going to fancy the extra travel? As long as a club can explain where sufficient good players will come from* current standard won't matter much.

* And in the real world this time, unlike the infamous RFL advice to Oxford etc. to focus on signing students and service players when Skolars quite legitimately queried where all these new southern based standard League One players were coming from.

7 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

So a Yorkshire mens league team and a southern conference league team so far... I wonder if any top end NCL clubs fancy it as I would imagine they would be better suited for the step up in quality

Its a big gamble for an NCL team,  If they chose to leave that competition and League One didn't work out, there's no guarantee of re-admittance to the NCL and they did get back in they'd have to start again from the bottom division.    The regional leagues are much more flexible in having teams jump divisions

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

What the top end NCL clubs that are in towns that already have professional teams? What's the point?

Yet again, it seems like we're making the same mistakes over again. The RFL will be making a decision in late summer. That does not provide nearly enough time for any new entrant to step up for the 2025 season. Madness

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Damien said:

What the top end NCL clubs that are in towns that already have professional teams? What's the point?

Why not? Sure beats accepting teams from a Yorkshire mens league or similar league who would find the step up too much and drop out before the end of the season 

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

You want League 1 clubs to be sustainable. They shouldn’t be reliant on an owner with deep pockets that could walk away. That’s not how you build a club. 

Ideally but in the real world any new clubs that come into League 1 are going to need a major cash injection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Why not? Sure beats accepting teams from a Yorkshire mens league or similar league who would find the step up too much and drop out before the end of the season 

The point was what makes you think NCL teams want to do that?

53 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yet again, it seems like we're making the same mistakes over again. The RFL will be making a decision in late summer. That does not provide nearly enough time for any new entrant to step up for the 2025 season. Madness

It certainly does look like tail wagging the dog. They've come up with a structure - 3×12 and a return to 'Eights' - and then cast around at the last minute to find teams to fill it.

• Like 1

It's not just about player cost's. It's all the other cost ie Doctors {which cost's a fortune》medical equipment, certain ground standards, travel cost. These people might have very good intentions, but need to look at the reasons other clubs pulled out or folded.

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

You want League 1 clubs to be sustainable. They shouldn’t be reliant on an owner with deep pockets that could walk away. That’s not how you build a club. 

The reality is you need both a rich owner/investors and fans and sponsors etc. A pro club in the UK cannot just magically be 'sustainable' through good management alone and certainly can't be successful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

So Goole and Bedford so far, who else is interested?

Upper Dicker and Lower Dicker in East Sussex have said, if accepted into League 1, they will merge to be The Dickers.

2 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Do you think Goole or Bedford or whoever would use their existing players, they would have to recruit L1 standard players? 

• Like 2