scrap the eights

after today i feel that the ludicrous two twelves and three eights should be scrapped ASAP, throughout the last two seasons leigh have been the outstanding non super league team and have been shafted by this stupid system. they finished top of the championship by 6 points and have to play an extra 7 games to decide who goes up and who goes down, IMO they should have been promoted and wakefield relegated end of story, better still return to licenxing and let them build in super league rather than and end of season lottery whereby some teams can bring in players hand over fist on short contracts to maintain their super league status... keep on going leythers they cant keep you down forever

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Leigh just find out about the Middle 8's or did they know at the season's start. It's like saying the Grand National winner should be that jockeyless horse that led for 3 miles but curtailed off near the end. If they had some decorum I would maybe feel sorry for them but they are slowly becoming the Salford of the Championship.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Leigh have been ###### in the eights and got exactly what they deserved.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

it was always a stupid idea

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

No, you can't scrap it after one season. You have to let it play out. However, I believe the million pound game is a fixture too far. I mentioned this on another thread. Whether we agree or not - the game made the decision.

Interestingly, the clubs to have benefited most seem to be Sheffield and Halifax.

it was always a stupid idea

That is probably the reason why Leigh voted for/were in favour of it,then.

Still,at least we now know they had a 2 years plan - with the second year plan to ignore the salary cap.

Which probably suggests the system will remain - but leaves a small hint that Leigh may not.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

after today i feel that the ludicrous two twelves and three eights should be scrapped ASAP, throughout the last two seasons leigh have been the outstanding non super league team and have been shafted by this stupid system. they finished top of the championship by 6 points and have to play an extra 7 games to decide who goes up and who goes down, IMO they should have been promoted and wakefield relegated end of story, better still return to licenxing and let them build in super league rather than and end of season lottery whereby some teams can bring in players hand over fist on short contracts to maintain their super league status... keep on going leythers they cant keep you down forever

I kind of agree with the sentiment although the argument just doesn't stack up. Leigh put everything into the LLS when others didn't - leaving a clear run for them. The LLS is vain glory, it's meaningless. If they've cocked up their strategy then that's down to them. Also, you talk about Leigh replacing Wakey as a good thing when in reality it's a like for like.

They're now going to deliberately break the SC and challenge the RL. Well, that's their call, but it's likely to hang round their neck like a millstone long after DB had fled the scene.

Completely agree with your views on the concept of promotion under this system. Licencing all the way for me.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

It's hard to argue for them when they finished bottom of the 8s. If they'd lost the £1m game to Wakey after dominating the other Champ sides then you might have a point.

I'm still on the fence with the system. Personally, I've been more interested than I usually am in Widnes' fixtures at this end of the year.

Surprisingly, I think the biggest issue was with the Super 8s. Crowds were relatively poor and a number of the clubs were never in with a shout which led to the perception from their fans that the season was over.

Leigh aside I suspect that Fax, Bradford and Sheffield have enjoyed the system and they've largely performed better than expected.

I probably prefer it to licensing, especially the end of the top 8 playoff. However, on balance 1 up 1 down with a playoff for the other place would my preference.

I think it's been a breath of fresh air. Always going to be dead rubbers along the way, but been some superb games.

But you get that without the stupid 8s

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Absolutely ridiculous thread.

This season has definitely been the most entertaining I've seen in Super League.

I hope we have it again for the foreseeable future. I do think the million pound game is not needed but we shall see how it goes.

This season has definitely been the most entertaining I've seen in Super League.

I hope we have it again for the foreseeable future. I do think the million pound game is not needed but we shall see how it goes.

Only because the top four were all within a point, the rest was over complicated drivel to pretend there was a competition.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

apart from widnes and hull kr the top teams were a lottery even though salford used their bully boy tactics last week they always a bottom two team

Nobody at Leigh is not in favour of the 8's, it just went pear shaped due to all sorts of reasons. HKR have done 7/7 yet we should have beat them well in game 1. We know whats needed for our second attempt now

Changes I would like to see -  the deadline at least 3 weeks before the regular season ends, that every team gets 1 home game live on sky and it should be as close to a SL/C/SL/C format as possible for all

Interestingly, Catalans with absolutely nothing to play for have knocked off Castleford, Saints, Leeds and Hull in the Super 8 fixtures.

We could have crushed anybody at home. You can't score 60 pts against Wigan, crush Castleford and Saints with 12 men and beating Leeds (at home) and then only win 2 away (Wakefield and FC).

If we can win away, we'll be a reckoned force next year. That's a big if. I'm not too much in favor of Super8/Middle8 because it will force "medium" clubs to feed with oversea players.

absolute rubbish leigh should have been promoted simples

apart from widnes and hull kr the top teams were a lottery even though salford used their bully boy tactics last week they always a bottom two team

Ha ha ha ha ha! Trust you!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I was thinking about starting a thread about how good the Super 8's have been. I have enjoyed the extra level of intensity at the top of Super League and the chance to see some of the best Championship teams ply their trade again SL teams and get a few decent wins.

And then I thought I won't bother starting that thread as it will just fill up with negativity.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I initially thought the whole 3 x 8's idea was crazy but i can happily say I was wrong. Surely this new system has delivered more entertainment and exitement and got the public talking more.

The championship clubs were always going to struggle in year one, but scrapping it right now seems very irational. By sticking with it, it will give more championship clubs more experience to play super league opposition in the future and in turn will improve performance across the championship. The money distributed to the championship clubs in order to close the gap between sl and ch will also only see benefits after year one. Through this more teams will go full time, as we've seen already which will see a further shortening, but again will not happen in year one. All in all, this system will work, just not in year one.

I was thinking about starting a thread about how good the Super 8's have been. I have enjoyed the extra level of intensity at the top of Super League and the chance to see some of the best Championship teams ply their trade again SL teams and get a few decent wins.

And then I thought I won't bother starting that thread as it will just fill up with negativity.

I think the Super 8s have provided some interesting and exciting fixtures. The drawback is 30 regular league games and this fudge of a "least worst" MPG fixture. However, the run-in to the Super 8s has been great and crowds have started to perk up in the last couple of weeks.

My view is that if it is to stay then the split should come at 18-20 fixtures. Also, no MPG.

Archived