Sam Tomkins to Catalans?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I wonder about someone who spends 2 years injured, then runs away after the cash the moment he gets fit. Hardly our greatest return on investment.

As ever, there is a very long way to go before the full picture emerges. 

Who's to say it's completely his choice?

1 hour ago, 7723 said:

With Tomkins being our marquee player and a home grown player, only £75k of his wage counts on the cap so we aren't actually freeing up much space. We also have not replaced McIllorum or FPN so I would imagine cap space isn't a problem at the moment.

It allows us to sign another marquee player if we want.

2 hours ago, 7723 said:

With Tomkins being our marquee player and a home grown player, only £75k of his wage counts on the cap so we aren't actually freeing up much space. We also have not replaced McIllorum or FPN so I would imagine cap space isn't a problem at the moment.

You would be freeing up loads of space if you think about it.

Whilst he only contributes £75K on the cap he is taking an unlimited salary marquee slot, of which we all have two. So really he is taking the cap space of your second largest earner.

If you want to retain Williams you will have to continue using a marquee slot. If you want to sign Burgess you will have to use a marquee slot. If you still have Tomkins you are 3 into 2.

The only option in that scenario would be to declare one wage fully under the cap which is likely to be £300/350K minimum and therefore utilising £200K more cap space compared to using a marquee slot.

If Tomkins leaves and Hardaker comes in, not only are you likely to save £250K on actual wages (real money not cap space) but you will free up a marquee spot to bring in a superstar like Burgess.

Obviously speculation regarding the 'real' earnings but I bet i'm not a country mile out. The cap spend and net spend remain very similar but you replace Tomkins with Hardaker and captain fantastic with Burgess.

Williams £75K Cap - £300K Real?
Tomkins £75K Cap - £350K Real?
O'Loughlin £150 Cap? - £150K Real? More?

Hardaker £100K Cap? - £100K Real?
Burgess £150K Cap - £400K Real?

You will likely have some other space as you point out too. It could be a masterstroke from Ian Lenagan it really could however I look forward to Hardaker being caught snorting coke of Lenagan's granddaughters t**s the week before the GF and stuffing you in the final!

2 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Whilst he only contributes £75K on the cap he is taking an unlimited salary marquee slot, of which we all have two. So really he is taking the cap space of your second largest earner.

If you want to retain Williams you will have to continue using a marquee slot. If you want to sign Burgess you will have to use a marquee slot. If you still have Tomkins you are 3 into 2.

The only option in that scenario would be to declare one wage fully under the cap which is likely to be £300/350K minimum and therefore utilising £200K more cap space compared to using a marquee slot.

If Tomkins leaves and Hardaker comes in, not only are you likely to save £250K on actual wages (real money not cap space) but you will free up a marquee spot to bring in a superstar like Burgess.

Obviously speculation regarding the 'real' earnings but I bet i'm not a country mile out. The cap spend and net spend remain very similar but you replace Tomkins with Hardaker and captain fantastic with Burgess.

You will likely have some other space as you point out too. It could be a masterstroke from Ian Lenagan it really could however I look forward to Hardaker being caught snorting coke of Lenagan's granddaughters t**s the week before the GF and stuffing you in the final!

Isn’t there some allowance for spending x amount of years at a club surely OLoughlin counts on that. I thought Roby went on it last year. 

14 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Isn’t there some allowance for spending x amount of years at a club surely OLoughlin counts on that. I thought Roby went on it last year. 

The only thing that I can think of which could be relevant is a players testimonial match which Roby had a few years ago.

The RFL have a rule whereby a "non salary cap relevant match" is excluded from salary cap earnings. I assume a friendly of this nature would come under that umbrella.

We do get an allowance for O'Loughlin's long service. 

I expect Bateman to go (plus Sutton), but Gildart to stay. A couple of years ago, I could have seen Bateman being a major loss, but I can't see how he can be a world class 13 as he has now passing game, a world class second row, as he isn't big enough, or a good centre. Great drive and passion, and will get every ounce out of his ability, but just not quite... 

I would try and keep Tomkins, but we will endure if he swaps the Dougie for the Med. I imagine he would be a big draw in SL2. 

There's just no way TomPkins is worth 300-400k a year (if that's what he's really on) and with Wigan's up and down seasons recently i doubt they are exactly swimming with cash. You could get a better player for half his salary.  Basic business sense getting rid.

10 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

There's just no way TomPkins is worth 300-400k a year (if that's what he's really on) and with Wigan's up and down seasons recently i doubt they are exactly swimming with cash. You could get a better player for half his salary.  Basic business sense getting rid.

He was the highest paid player in the SL when he left for the NRL and was on circa $700K (£350K) whilst there.

He came back after 2 years of a 3 year contract and Wigan paid back 1/3 of the fee they received for him. It is fair to assume his contract will be similar to that of the NZ Warriors given the marquee rule had kicked in by his return.

I agree he doesn't offer any value for money at that level but he would still improve most teams.

19 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Wasn't a bad post until the needless Hardaker bashing at the end there. 

38 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Is it rumoured that the rumour about the rumour is true? 

I think that it's just a rumour.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

On 04/04/2018 at 1:02 AM, Hvy wg said:

Rumour has it Catalans have prepaerd a massive bid for Tomkins as his contract expires at then end of the year. 

Catalans already include two ex Wigan players with McIlorum and Tierney. 

I would be surprised if Tompkins would be happy in the Championship for  2019

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, Exiled Wiganer said:

We do get an allowance for O'Loughlin's long service. 

I expect Bateman to go (plus Sutton), but Gildart to stay. A couple of years ago, I could have seen Bateman being a major loss, but I can't see how he can be a world class 13 as he has now passing game, a world class second row, as he isn't big enough, or a good centre. Great drive and passion, and will get every ounce out of his ability, but just not quite... 

I would try and keep Tomkins, but we will endure if he swaps the Dougie for the Med. I imagine he would be a big draw in SL2. 

That's exactly my thoughts on Bateman too. He just hasn't the attributes to be great in any position and there will always be better players in any position that he can play.

On 06/04/2018 at 8:11 PM, Walney said:

It's a pity that Theo Fages was not an option, as I would rather see him signing a four year contract at Catalan.

His development would go backwards at the dragons.

On 06/04/2018 at 2:39 PM, JohnM said:

Maybe they know something about the 2019 structure 

Maybe trying to influence the RFL’s plans. Would the RFL allow an expansion side that contains sam Tomkins be relegated.

Archived