The TV Thread

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

And its written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge who writes and stars in Fleabag.  Contrasting styles and stories!

Fleabag series 2 has started

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:05 PM, graveyard johnny said:

the latest alan partridge stuff is so bad its almost un watchable, couple of smiles but that's it, steve coogan was funny with emphasis on the word "WAS" - 20years ago maybe- but not now just like peter kay was during his spell, rubbish.

I am watching it on Catch up now. 

I didn't watch the original series so I am getting used to the format. What is spoof and what is real.

Last Night the 2 series of ' White Gold ' started , very funny take on the double glazing industry [ and other sales driven businesses ] , just watched it on catch up this morning

As somebody who's been involved in the industry since the mid 80's , it really is neccessary watching for everybody , you really should make your kids [ and even your parents ] watch it to help protect them from ever falling for the sales pitch of a ' closing the deal ' master

Starts off with the introduction of the ' Conservatory ' the product that has given me my living since 1993 , although I had and still do have a concience

For those that havent seen the 1 st series , its well worth a watch on catch up

Death In Paradise must be the worst programme on telly . So formulaic , every single week it can only be 4 people who do it and by total coincidence they already have their pictures . Really stale ... I’ve no idea why I’ve watched every single episode 

I saw fantastic things about Derry Girls so I watched the first in the nrw series.

It was OK but I don t know why it got such great reviews.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Death In Paradise must be the worst programme on telly . So formulaic , every single week it can only be 4 people who do it and by total coincidence they already have their pictures . Really stale ... I’ve no idea why I’ve watched every single episode 

There maybe one or two reasons... 

303e97d8193776b7df570c4a5f46a02f--sara-martins-death-in-paradise.jpg

death-in-paradise-florence-t.jpg

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

26 minutes ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

A repeat of the Mortimer and Whitehouse fishing series starts this evening. Well worth a watch!!

Only thing more boring than fishing , is watching other people fishing

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

I've read the books. I enjoyed them. The latest one has more characterisation depth. 

Re watched documentary on Janis Joplin on sky arts last night called "Little Girl Blue"  , really excellent job done by all , good interviews , and interesting to see all the letters she used to write back to her parents , i urge anyone who liked her music to watch it , it gives a far better insight into her life than a lot of other documentaries have done for other artists .

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Shetland gets a lot of crime for 3 officers to deal with . Must never get a day off 

just bought the box set at mrs hizzouses insistence,is it any good? I ask because she watches some garbage

1 minute ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

just bought the box set at mrs hizzouses insistence,is it any good? I ask because she watches some garbage

It’s ok . Can drag out a bit with to many episodes but yeh it’s a more than decent detective story . Nice backdrop and Douglas Henshall is always good 

• Thanks 1

I just finished watching a complete run of Game of Thrones from series 1 to 7, all 67 episodes.

This was a 'first viewing' project for me, not a re-watch, despite years of nagging by friends that I'd really enjoy it if I gave it a chance, I found it a real struggle to get started. Medieval sword and sorcery stuff is not really my thing at all.

I thought it couldn't possibly live up to the hype.

Well, I was wrong about that.

It absolutely does!

Good job n'all… 67 hours of my life has not been wasted. 

The first episode is hard work, the second is much better, and by the third I was hooked.

One day quite recently, I am slightly ashamed to admit, I did nothing else all day but sit in front of the telly watching episodes of GoT in mad a dash to get through them all before I saw any spoilers for the new series that might ruin my enjoyment.

Is a ten-hour telly watching marathon too much? :biggrin:

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Gervais new effort Afterlife is wonderful.

I am really split on this show.

Avoid below if still to watch as may contain minor spoilers.

On the positive, I love Gervais, I like his bluntness, I like his humour, and I like he is tackling awkward subjects like this. I thought a lot of the show was lovely and very funny, whilst also being pretty dark. He does the little friendship and relationship pieces beautifully.

But. There was something that was nagging at me as I finished binge-watching the series. Having given it a couple of days, I think it is down to two major issues I have with the show.

Firstly, it is a bit of a platform for Gervais to be preachy, an awful lot of the conversations in it can be found on his Twitter thread, or even stand up. But, they are his views so can't bag him too much for that, it just jarred a little.

Secondly, and this was my major issue with the show, he went too far tying up all the pieces. For what started off as a hard hitting show pushing boundaries, it became very very formulaic and ended up more like One Foot in the Grave by the last episode.  The show needed some ambiguity around the ending, and tbh the last 15 minutes was him on a soap box explaining the whole point of the show and his thoughts around this, which I thought really let the show down. As a viewer I felt he didn't just do hand holding, he picked us up and carried us over that finish line, whilst explaining every step he was taking because we were too stupid to understand what was going on.

Things like the shocking drugs scenes early on just faded away as we got this hollywood happy ending that was so signposted it was laughable, not in a good way. Unfortunately it ruined the show for me, and the last episode alone dragged it down from a 9 out of 10 at the end of episode 5, to a 7 out of 10 at best. 

But, I would recommend people watching it, lots of it was a brilliant show.

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

I just finished watching a complete run of Game of Thrones from series 1 to 7, all 67 episodes.

This was a 'first viewing' project for me, not a re-watch, despite years of nagging by friends that I'd really enjoy it if I gave it a chance, I found it a real struggle to get started. Medieval sword and sorcery stuff is not really my thing at all.

I thought it couldn't possibly live up to the hype.

Well, I was wrong about that.

It absolutely does!

Good job n'all… 67 hours of my life has not been wasted. 

The first episode is hard work, the second is much better, and by the third I was hooked.

One day quite recently, I am slightly ashamed to admit, I did nothing else all day but sit in front of the telly watching episodes of GoT in mad a dash to get through them all before I saw any spoilers for the new series that might ruin my enjoyment.

Is a ten-hour telly watching marathon too much? :biggrin:

Best tv programme ever . Has everything . End of !!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Aye, can't wait for the final series. Ordinarily, not my cup of tea this kind of thing (how many people say that!?!?!) - but apart from a couple of dodgy series' with pacing (one series was basically different couples walking from one place to another chatting) it has been an outstanding bit of television.

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not a patch on Twin peaks the return! I like GOT but think the later series tried to rush things along a bit! Not enough depth to the characters, but good if you like big set piece scenes, which I do!

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, can't wait for the final series. Ordinarily, not my cup of tea this kind of thing (how many people say that!?!?!) - but apart from a couple of dodgy series' with pacing (one series was basically different couples walking from one place to another chatting) it has been an outstanding bit of television.

Same . I’m purposefully ignoring any trailers or teasers .