The TV Thread

16 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just binged on S1 of an Australian Cop Show, set in WA called Mystery Road, some duff acting, but the story was OK, on iPlayer.

The accents are quite special.

Just on series two now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The accents are quite special.

Just on series two now.

Don't quite think I am ready for the acting in Series 2 yet. The terrain is amazing, but the acting is poor.

Edited by Bleep1673

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I reckon Gogglebox has had its day. I’ve never been a huge fan and only see it because my OH watches it but it just seems like the same programme every week. 

I agree, I've watched it quite a bit in the past but watched the first one of the new series and thought it was really poor. Not bothered watching anymore since. 

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I reckon Gogglebox has had its day. I’ve never been a huge fan and only see it because my OH watches it but it just seems like the same programme every week. 

They needed to have had a steady replacement of the featured viewers. Not a wholesale purge that loses regular fans, but one regular group at a time. But the regulars are so entrenched now, it may be too late for the show.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I think part of it is that a lot of the reactions now seem scripted rather than genuine ones. 
And do that many people constantly watch Naked Attraction? 🤔🤔

I think as well that a lot of them are very aware they are on tv and play up to the camera because quite frankly if they act like that normally then I would find them utterly insufferable and this seems to have been a development in the last few seasons, they never used to be as loud and animated and as they are now and some of them are just so ignorant and obnoxious and to put it bluntly, just so thick. 

Edit. Also Naked Attraction is one of the worst things ever to happen to human society and I do include the existence of yawnion in that. All I have ever seen of the show is the clips on Gogglebox and even that is far too much to stomach. It makes me glad to be a goose because if I was a human I would be embarrassed for my species that someone actually thought that show was a good idea. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

For the show's format, they have to watch certain shows each week, or it wouldn't work with multiple reactions. I don't think they make the show based on what people just happen to watch. The pseudo-intellectual dullard couple who call each other "nutty" wouldn't be watching most of those shows normally, for a start.

So when something deliberately provocative is shown, especially on Channel 4, they're going to be contractually obligated to watch and react to it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I think part of it is that a lot of the reactions now seem scripted rather than genuine ones. 

They're not scripted but they're also not genuine. As you might expect, they're not sitting down at Xpm on whatever day to watch said programme. They're watching a tape/download sent to them and they watch with a crew and retakes. And, given that they've been chosen to be characters, they have to 'act' that role or they don't keep the gig.

(But, yes, day long since had.)

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I still really enjoy Gogglebox. 

One of the few shows I make time to watch every week, as I know it is guaranteed to give me a good laugh.

The lack of rotation of the regulars this past year will be due to pandemic restrictions.

How do you audition new families when we're not allowed into each other's homes?

I'm just glad they've made the show at all, tbh.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 21:36, Johnoco said:

I reckon Gogglebox has had its day. 

gogglebox and about 90% of the other rubbish on a constant loop week in week out

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Clive Myrie to replace John Humphrys as Mastermind host. Decent choice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Clive Myrie to replace John Humphrys as Mastermind host. Decent choice.

He's got the 'voice' for it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

What really winds me up on TV is when a show goes to a break and then spends the first minute or so after the break recapping what happened in the previous segment.

And this is exacerbated when you are watching a program that is shorter than the allocated time slot so you see the recapping of what happened but there is no ad break.  Arrrrggghhhh!

On 11/03/2021 at 01:14, Shadow said:

Don't get me started on quizzes accepting wrong answers...

Pub quiz so not TV but it still annoys me.

Which was the first Ghost to visit Scrooge?

(quick whispering amongst the members of "A very poor Spice Girls Tribute Band")
We write down "Jacob Marley"

We were the only team to get that answer, or as I like to call it the right answer.
The answer the quizmaster was looking for was "The Ghost of Christmas Past", and we should have known he meant which of the three ghosts on Christmas Eve.

In the next quiz the same quizmaster asked "What was the name of the home of the Norse gods?"
This being before the days of the Marvel Universe, we put "It's actually Asgard but Barry (Quizmaster) thinks it's Valhalla" to the amusement of the Quizzy Rascals who were checking our paper

Answer Barry wanted was "Valhalla"

A year or two ago we were at our regular weekly quiz here in Adelaide.

In the music round one question was ‘name the band that had this hit’ the song was ‘Cool for Cats’ so we wrote down ‘Squeeze’.  When the answers were given out the question master said that the answer was ‘UK Squeeze’.  Another table must have given the same answer as us as they said ‘Do you get a point just for Squeeze’.  The reply was ‘No, it must be UK Squeeze’.

I then said ‘I bought the single and album and in the UK they were called Squeeze’.  He replied ‘There already was an Australian band called Squeeze so they had to change their name to UK Squeeze’.  My protestation was ‘That might have happened when the song came out around 1979 but we only arrived in Adelaide in 2006, how are we supposed to know they changed their name’.

But to no avail our answer was marked wrong.  The question master was well known to most of the pub regulars as he had played a character called Fat Cat in an Aussie Kids Show many moons ago.  From then on we referred to him as Fat Tw.. 😄

I've found the late-1970s series The Legend of King Arthur on YouTube. The picture quality (clearly from a series of bad VHS recordings) is appalling, but I'm getting a wonderful nostalgia rush.

The arms, armour and general look are a lot more true to the supposed era of the Arthurian legends than the Malory-esque style of John Boorman's otherwise epic Excalibur. The acting is good enough to cover up the frayed edges of the budget.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

A year or two ago we were at our regular weekly quiz here in Adelaide.

In the music round one question was ‘name the band that had this hit’ the song was ‘Cool for Cats’ so we wrote down ‘Squeeze’.  When the answers were given out the question master said that the answer was ‘UK Squeeze’.  Another table must have given the same answer as us as they said ‘Do you get a point just for Squeeze’.  The reply was ‘No, it must be UK Squeeze’.

I then said ‘I bought the single and album and in the UK they were called Squeeze’.  He replied ‘There already was an Australian band called Squeeze so they had to change their name to UK Squeeze’.  My protestation was ‘That might have happened when the song came out around 1979 but we only arrived in Adelaide in 2006, how are we supposed to know they changed their name’.

But to no avail our answer was marked wrong.  The question master was well known to most of the pub regulars as he had played a character called Fat Cat in an Aussie Kids Show many moons ago.  From then on we referred to him as Fat Tw.. 😄

As an aside I remember “Fat Cat and friends” from when I was in Sydney from 1981 to 1982 along with Alexander Bunyip and Simon Townsend’s wonderworld

On 20/03/2021 at 10:06, John Drake said:

I still really enjoy Gogglebox. 

One of the few shows I make time to watch every week, as I know it is guaranteed to give me a good laugh.

The lack of rotation of the regulars this past year will be due to pandemic restrictions.

How do you audition new families when we're not allowed into each other's homes?

I'm just glad they've made the show at all, tbh.

I still enjoy it as well. Harmless throwaway telly, useful for winding down. Too many other programmes out there now are just relentlessly miserable.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

One programme we’ve been watching on free time is Scandal. Not exactly new, but new to us. It’s into season 3 and it’s relentless monologues where in reality they’d be told to shut up or people would walk away.

The so-called “white hat” lead character has more moral flaws than Boris Johnson, makes more mistakes than Chris Grayling and has the loyalty of Nigel Farage, yet she’s treated as this omniscient messiah creature.

I’ve no idea why we’re still watching it. I think it’s just that the wife likes it and it’s into soap opera territory now

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

14 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Watched it when it was out in 1996, excellent. Couldn’t believe it when Daniel Craig ended up as James Bond. 

Excellent indeed.

And Christopher Eccleston ended up as Doctor Who n'all! 😃

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ckn said:

One programme we’ve been watching on free time is Scandal. Not exactly new, but new to us. It’s into season 3 and it’s relentless monologues where in reality they’d be told to shut up or people would walk away.

The so-called “white hat” lead character has more moral flaws than Boris Johnson, makes more mistakes than Chris Grayling and has the loyalty of Nigel Farage, yet she’s treated as this omniscient messiah creature.

I’ve no idea why we’re still watching it. I think it’s just that the wife likes it and it’s into soap opera territory now

Don't worry it gets even worse, I did finally give up as it got so stupid.