Football

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the interview he gave was for the consumption of his players tbf to keep the narrative of ‘superiority’ going.

I thought Spurs played well, but Liverpool did too and deserved to win.

I can understand the psychology by Mourinho though.

I saw a graphic after the game cover passes in the opposition half. Spurs had 57 Curtis Jones had 81. 

• Thanks 1

Just watched Nacional (Uruguay) vs River Plate (Argentina) in the quarter finals of the Copa Libertadores on BBC iPlayer.

Trailing 2-0 from the first leg the Nacional keeper was Kung Fu fighting at one point when caught outside his box with the most ridiculous attempt a challenge I’ve seen in a while.

Needless to say down to ten men they didn’t stand a chance and River Plate thrashed them 6-2 on the night 8-2 on aggregate.

I’m trying to think what standard of football the Copa Libertadores is and I would say about top half mid table La Liga with perhaps more emphasis on individual flair than organisation.  Been entertaining and I’m glad the BBC have picked it up.

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I saw a graphic after the game cover passes in the opposition half. Spurs had 57 Curtis Jones had 81. 

Yes, it was a typical wait and see performance in the main by a Mourinho side with an emphasis on pouncing on any mistake in the opposition half and countering.

Curtis Jones has been a real bonus for Liverpool during this period of injuries.

I liked Naby Keita at RB Leipzig, but I would put Jones ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, it was a typical wait and see performance in the main by a Mourinho side with an emphasis on pouncing on any mistake in the opposition half and countering.

Curtis Jones has been a real bonus for Liverpool during this period of injuries.

I liked Naby Keita at RB Leipzig, but I would put Jones ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment.

Yeah I wasn’t sure about him early on but he’s taken his chance and outside of the three go to midfielders Henderson,Fabinho and Wjinaldum he’s as likely to do a job as anyone else  

• Like 1

Just watched on Freesports Anaitasuna from the Spanish 4th tier, hold Gatafe of La Liga to a 1-2 loss in Copa del Rei on a muddy pitch, like they used to play on. Although the Basque's stadium was probably about as small as a Northern Premier league game. It was entertaining, aerial football clubbing it from one end of a muddy pitch, reminiscent of many winter rugby pitches. Gatafe gave away more free kicks, but crucially gained 2 penalties, the final one in stoppage time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Anaitasuna

Edited by Bleep1673

I was watching Serie A this weekend and noticed Genoa are actually called Genoa Cricket & Football Club, in English.

But the most amazing word is Cricket. Do they still play it within their bubble?

Edited by Bleep1673

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was watching Serie A this weekend and noticed Genoa are actually called Genoa Cricket & Football Club, in English.

But the most amazing word is Cricket. Do they still play it within their bubble?

Same with AC Milan. They were founded as a cricket and football club by Englishmen abroad - hence why the club name is Milan and not Milano.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is he right? Could heading be banned in football? I'd like to see a trial game where it was penalised like a handball, just to gauge how much the game would be spoilt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55433140

The interesting thing in all of this is that boxing, where the aim of the sport is to hit your opponent repeatedly on the head and "knock them out", seems to be having less angst than football or rugby.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

37 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Is he right? Could heading be banned in football? I'd like to see a trial game where it was penalised like a handball, just to gauge how much the game would be spoilt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55433140

The interesting thing in all of this is that boxing, where the aim of the sport is to hit your opponent repeatedly on the head and "knock them out", seems to be having less angst than football or rugby.

As I said elsewhere, you don't see quite so many unlimited round bareknuckle fights as you used to. You also don't get too many fights like Benn-McClellan any more.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Vida Portimonense

Vamos Sporting! 😀 

Followed their results since the 5th August 1992, when I saw a Luis Figo inspired Sporting rip Swindon to treads - a 6-1 friendly defeat for my club. 

Bobby Robson was the manager of Sporting Clube de Portugal at the time. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Portimao , beautiful little town on the Algarve, the pylons for the floodlights are actually outside the ground it's so compact.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Terrific win by 10-Man Villa yesterday against Palace, and if it wasn't for the woodwork it could've been 6+.

Shame Villa Park was empty, the Holte End would've enjoyed that.

One question though, Haven't UEFA or FIFA banned Saturday 3pm Kick-offs being broadcast live on TV? Especially on terrestrial TV stations.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Terrific win by 10-Man Villa yesterday against Palace, and if it wasn't for the woodwork it could've been 6+.

Shame Villa Park was empty, the Holte End would've enjoyed that.

One question though, Haven't UEFA or FIFA banned Saturday 3pm Kick-offs being broadcast live on TV? Especially on terrestrial TV stations.

The clubs didn’t want TV games at 3pm Saturday when the majority of games were taking place. So as not to affect crowds too much that doesn’t really matter now plus I think every game this round has been televised. Don’t think it was ever anything to do with UEFA or FIFA. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The clubs didn’t want TV games at 3pm Saturday when the majority of games were taking place. So as not to affect crowds too much that doesn’t really matter now plus I think every game this round has been televised. Don’t think it was ever anything to do with UEFA or FIFA. 

Absolutely right and in the current climate, it makes perfect sense to run some of the games at 3pm on the telly. 

Some of the lower league and Cup games have also moved to 7pm (and in some cases even earlier) during the week as fans don't need the additional time to get to the ground. Again, that makes a lot of sense too.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55551561

Are they having a laugh? Southampton the most improved side in the English Premiership in the last 12 months?

Aston Villa escaped relegation on the very last 5 minutes of the last day of last season, now they are pushing for a European spot, and put 7 goals past the English Champions!

I think shortly after the draw for the FA Cup 3rd round was made, I suggested Aston Villa would capitulate,  and they did, using Covid19 as an excuse, so as not to have the 1st team subjected to a revenge for the 7-2 league meeting.

looks like league 2 crawley are on course for a massive giant killing fa cup story of their own against premiership leeds utd - leading 3 -0 after 78mins 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile