Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Rant thread

2 hours ago, ckn said:

And you wonder why you struggle to get sympathy at times on here?

I have never wondered about that. I am all too aware of my virtues. ??

• Haha 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

4 hours ago, ckn said:

If I had my way, fireworks would be banned except for organised and sanctioned public events.

I attended two Diwali parties this year and there were no fireworks at either, which I’m very happy to say.

I think that it beggars belief that in this day and age we are happy to sell explosives over the counter to anybody who wants them.

They should be banned.

• Like 1

"Modded" hatchbacks with ridiculously loud exhaust pipes, should be an instant MOT failure. Vehicles are supposed to be checked. Why are so many on the road?

Scare my dog worse than the fireworks.

Edited by BryanC
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, BryanC said:

"Modded" hatchbacks with ridiculously loud exhaust pipes, should be an instant MOT failure. Vehicles are supposed to be checked. Why are so many on the road?

1.1 Ford Fiestas pimped up to make the owner’s micro-penis feel better about itself. Change the MOT law to make it illegal to make alterations to a car that have a potential to fail an MOT without a new test, penalty confiscation and crushing 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

49 minutes ago, BryanC said:

There are so many on the road because possibly the owners restore. The exhaust and lights just to pass the test.. Doubtful they have declared the modifications to their insurers. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

3 hours ago, BryanC said:

Not just cars though, someone needs to tell these synthetic fibre clad individuals that mopeds are not supposed to be deafeningly loud, sounding like the engine is about to blow with a thick cloud of smoke coming out the back of them. 

22 hours ago, JohnM said:

There are so many on the road because possibly the owners restore. The exhaust and lights just to pass the test.. Doubtful they have declared the modifications to their insurers. 

I read somewhere that it is because of insurance costs that vehicle modification (at the budget end of things) has moved away from performance enhancement to cosmetic tweaking. So I'd guess a lot of the current mob of tarted-up hatchbacks are likely to be safer at least, without some amateur installing turbos, nitrous oxide etc.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Why is it that in Italy, you can go to any random cafe and get a great tomato based dish, but in the UK our tomatoes are sludgy and tasteless in all bar the most expensive of places. Same in supermarkets, unless you’re buying the most expensive, they’re tasteless‬. 

Also, a damn nice pizza in a nice restaurant in Italy will cost you €6-8 but a cardboard Domino’s version is £16. 

All I want is a nice, simple bruschetta or pizza without having to hunt them down and pay a fortune. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Why is it that in Italy, you can go to any random cafe and get a great tomato based dish, but in the UK our tomatoes are sludgy and tasteless in all bar the most expensive of places. Same in supermarkets, unless you’re buying the most expensive, they’re tasteless‬. 

Also, a damn nice pizza in a nice restaurant in Italy will cost you €6-8 but a cardboard Domino’s version is £16. 

All I want is a nice, simple bruschetta or pizza without having to hunt them down and pay a fortune. 

Don't care how, I want it now.

Edited by hindle xiii

8 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I saw a Christmas tree in someone's window on the way home from work tonight. 

"To be fir, there's nothing wrong with giving one's home a spruce up." he opined.

• Like 2

Yet another reason why the public should not be trusted with fireworks 

10 hours ago, ckn said:

Yet another reason why the public should not be trusted with fireworks 

What will happen to those responsible if caught though? Some wet lettuce copper (probably 5’2”) or social worker telling them it’s not a good idea and please don’t do it again. 

In the 70’s they’d have fallen down the stairs, got a good slap and learned not to do it again. 

That’s why the 70’s were ace. 

• Like 3

Quite so. We don't need a police service where cops cant swear and where cops have to be polite and friendly to crims. 

We need a police FORCE!!!!! 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

What will happen to those responsible if caught though? Some wet lettuce copper (probably 5’2”) or social worker telling them it’s not a good idea and please don’t do it again. 

In the 70’s they’d have fallen down the stairs, got a good slap and learned not to do it again. 

That’s why the 70’s were ace. 

They'd have fallen down the stairs twice in a police station that had no stairs. And then gone home and found themselves suddenly unable to get up the stairs again without falling down them a few times once their parents heard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Quite so. We don't need a police service where cops cant swear and where cops have to be polite and friendly to crims. 

We need a police FORCE!!!!! 

As my old mate, an ex copper says "When I joined we had a police force and a postal service. When I retired, we had a police service and a parcel force."

• Haha 3

On 02/11/2019 at 17:09, BryanC said:

Not forgetting they usually have their windows down and some sort of drum/bass/ibiza track shaking the car to it`s very core .

• Like 1

Why cannot Trading Standards/Government enforce clothing Manufacturers/Retailers buyers to comply with actual sizes. S, M, L , XL etc or ladies 10,12, 14 could be given an actual measurement. 

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Why cannot Trading Standards/Government enforce clothing Manufacturers/Retailers buyers to comply with actual sizes. S, M, L , XL etc or ladies 10,12, 14 could be given an actual measurement. 

translate.jpg

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

It's because the EU is only able to set guidelines not laws.

Shadow's answer is better though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's because the EU is only able to set guidelines not laws.

Shadow's answer is better though.

Good advice generally I feel.