Challenge Cup Final Media Watch

I have just seen an advert on BBC1 for "this weekend's sporting highlights" and it didn't even mention the final. Disgraceful.

I would love to see Kevin Sinfield given a free hand to work with BBC to raise the profile of the game.

He is perfectly situated both intellectually and geographically.  Also I feel he would have the game at heart.

Lee Briers on Radio 4 today programme this morning

I thought he sounded genuinely quite excited about the game - good plug.

Yup. I heard that whilst in the roller this morning.

Lee's not the most articulate of chaps and a PR company wouldn't choose to have him as a front man under most circumstances but he did ok and he warmed up a bit as the slot moved on. I liked the bit about Wire/ him having a succession of disappointments in semis and him subsequently marking the Warrington Challenge Cup wins with tattoos.

A brief bit of time was devoted to player welfare and development related to Chris Hill's plumbing business and the encouragement of training and education by Wire as players don't earn salaries which mean they don't have to work after their sporting careers have ended. This was followed by a comment in passing by John Humphries to the effect of wondering whether any pro soccer players were listening.

In this age of Internet streaming everything is available to watch if you know where to look.

I was thinking of a VPN and player - if there are better options, a PM would be appreciated.

You can see it on delayed telecast in Singapore .Setanta at 0525am on Sunday morning.

Not ideal is it. Stupid Currie Cup ruining me again.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I was thinking of a VPN and player - if there are better options, a PM would be appreciated.

Not ideal is it. Stupid Currie Cup ruining me again.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Most national papers, including the Telegraph, have at least a match report.

The Independent's newest RL story on its website is State of Origin II. :rolleyes: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Sunday Times had two articles by Irvine: one was a match report, one raising the matter of crowd numbers.  The two articles took up two thirds of the page and came straight after the pages and pages of soccer reports.  Mind you, Irvine appears in the Sunday Times almost every week.  In fact I think he appears more now since being made redundant from the Sunday Times than he did when he was employed by the Sunday Times.

bbc 1

12:00: Football Focus - 800k (11.1%)

13:10: Athletics: Diamond League - Lausanne Highlights - 860k (10.0%)

14:00: Rugby League: Challenge Cup Final - 970k (11.0%)

22:15: Match of the Day - 3.02m (24.0%)

bbc 2

16:30: Final Score - 1.03m (9.7%)

Channel 4 (inc. +1)

09:55: Formula 1: Belgian Grand Prix Practice 3 - 440k (7.3%)
11:55: Formula 1: Belgian Grand Prix Qualifying Live - 1.07m (13.3%)

Channel 5 (inc. +1)

19:00: Cricket on 5: England v Pakistan - 640k (4.0%)

21:00: Football on 5: The Championship - 590k (3.1%)

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

Good coverage on Radio 5 on Saturday morning. Plenty of mentions over the hour that i was listening while driving (8am-9am). Interviewed the two people from Hull and Wire who were singing Abide with Me.

Also listened to Radio 5 just as the game was ending (couldn't see it live) - Andrew Henderson was on joint commentary. What is it about Aussies that make the game sound so much better and exciting? additional enthusiasm? the accent? Whatever, he was loving it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Sky weren't helping the viewing figures by showing all their F1 coverage on their new free sports channel.

it was live and in hd on channel 4 anyways

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Ratings of fewer than 1m does suggest it's at the wrong time of year

Is the figure up or down on the previous few years?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

brilliant write up as usual from them.

If only the mainstream English media treated us with half the respect.

Id never normally read a match review, but that was a very enjoyable read.

Archived