Kevin Brown to Wire

Gates1

A Wiki edit doing the rounds on Twitter.

CysdI3DXEAEpE1n.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If its true then I'll be sad to see him go and concerned about who will take his place. It could be a great opportunity for Gilmore but then there's also more rumours kicking about that we've been sniffing around another highly rated SL half back. Mr Brown has certainly put in some great service for us and will be missed by the club

If he's gone on a 3 year deal then I'm concerned about what message that sends to Dec Patton. We need to be developing our young half backs, not keep them on the sidelines season after season.

Don't be silly if we did that England might win something!

According to the statistics above it looks like hes improving or the teams he's playing for are improving!

Good signing for the Wolves and I think Patton will get plenty of game time on the back of it.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

If he's gone on a 3 year deal then I'm concerned about what message that sends to Dec Patton. We need to be developing our young half backs, not keep them on the sidelines season after season.

Gidley won't be around for 3 seasons. Patton will play lots this year as Brown is injured usually for half of the season anyway.

Gidley won't be around for 3 seasons. Patton will play lots this year as Brown is injured usually for half of the season anyway.

indeed. Having two quality halves and a rising star in support is the right way to go.

Patton is still unproven and played only a handful of games.

The problem is that most fans are viewing this as a major signing.

It's purely a contingency plan to cover the injuries to Ratchford and Patton for the early part of the season, it's not exactly intended as a marquee signing or a core to build the future team around.

Warrington could do worse than sign a current England International for a couple of years, especially one with a good off-field record. Even he gets relegated to the bench once Ratchford and Patton are back in the fold he'll still be a valuable asset. I wouldn't mind seeing how Brown and Ratchford go in the halves with Gidley at fullback. I think Gidley might be more effective communicating from the back a la Brett Hodgson. Think we also might see more of the ball going wide like the Briers era style of play... All they need now is a slightly more effective three-qaurter line. Evans is sound defensively but seems easily nullified going forward.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

The problem is that most fans are viewing this as a major signing.

It's purely a contingency plan to cover the injuries to Ratchford and Patton for the early part of the season, it's not exactly intended as a marquee signing or a core to build the future team around.

Warrington could do worse than sign a current England International for a couple of years, especially one with a good off-field record. Even he gets relegated to the bench once Ratchford and Patton are back in the fold he'll still be a valuable asset. I wouldn't mind seeing how Brown and Ratchford go in the halves with Gidley at fullback. I think Gidley might be more effective communicating from the back a la Brett Hodgson. Think we also might see more of the ball going wide like the Briers era style of play... All they need now is a slightly more effective three-qaurter line. Evans is sound defensively but seems easily nullified going forward.

I'd be a bit worried if that was the reason. Spend 100k+ on a player for cover for a few months then send him to the bench

I'd be a bit worried if that was the reason. Spend 100k+ on a player for cover for a few months then send him to the bench

The transfer fee is no issue for Warrington, especially for a current international.

It's mainly the salary cap space he'll be taking up, but I guess he won't be on much more than he was at Widnes. From what was available at such short notice it's not such a bad acquisition. Even if he turns out to be nothing more than average it's probably better than having NO halfback to partner Gidley for the first few months of the season and won't have been a waste of £100k. I'll certainly be more excited about the prospect of the ball getting passed more than 3 feet by the first receiver. Lineham might start to look worth £125k after all?!

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

See, this is something I can't get my head round this "where will this Brown signing leave Patton?" It leaves him in the same position as if Sandow returned.

Quite. It is a season with up to 40 games.

Last year people were saying there was no place for Ratchford as he was neither a first-choice halfback nor first-choice fullback (I think Dave T said he wasn't even first-choice waterboy). In the end he played nearly 30 games. If he is good enough, Patton will get a lot of game-time next year.

On Parky's post above, that sounds about right. People will probably get a bit het up about the transfer fee but there is no need: £110k is perhaps 1.5% of turnover for a club like Warrington. Very small and probably still doesn't bridge the gap between Sandow's salary and what Brown's will be.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Quite. It is a season with up to 40 games.

Last year people were saying there was no place for Ratchford as he was neither a first-choice halfback nor first-choice fullback (I think Dave T said he wasn't even first-choice waterboy). In the end he played nearly 30 games. If he is good enough, Patton will get a lot of game-time next year.

On Parky's post above, that sounds about right. People will probably get a bit het up about the transfer fee but there is no need: £110k is perhaps 1.5% of turnover for a club like Warrington. Very small and probably still doesn't bridge the gap between Sandow's salary and what Brown's will be.

Agree entirely, Gidley and Brown both have injuries in them, and Patton will get some games by default. I don't think we should just be gifting shirts because we 'really want' them to be the next big thing - Gareth O'Brien was a good example of this - he didn't become the next big thing, and Ryan Hampshire is probably another at Wigan/Cas wherever.

We don't need to rush, Brown will fit into our style nicely and I'm glad we are not just settling, we are reviewing the needs of our team and making the appropriate signings.

I'm still waiting by the way for Ratchford to have a real 'wow' game, particularly in a top game. He does some nice things in most games, but I just want more. Funnily enough I thought his best game of the year was Catalans away where he led the team well with a load of young lads - he played at 6 that day.

Almost exactly 1.5% - Warrington's 2014 revenue was £6.5 million, producing a £640k profit.

I'm just a bit surprised that England's starting half-back in a must win game against Australia is being talked about as a stopgap/injury cover option. I'm sure Brown has made the move because it's his final chance to win in a final.

Almost exactly 1.5% - Warrington's 2014 revenue was £6.5 million, producing a £640k profit.

I'm just a bit surprised that England's starting half-back in a must win game against Australia is being talked about as a stopgap/injury cover option. I'm sure Brown has made the move because it's his final chance to win in a final.

i do think Desert Skipper is overatatinv it somewhat. We have just lost our first choice halfback so are looking to replace him with another first class halfback. Dont think there is much more to it than that tbh.

i do think Desert Skipper is overatatinv it somewhat. We have just lost our first choice halfback so are looking to replace him with another first class halfback. Dont think there is much more to it than that tbh.

Not trying to underplay it - just appease the crowd who seem to be upset as they were expecting some young star buy to replace Sandow as the core to build the future squad around.

I think it's fair to say that Brown is not part of that plan but a temporary stop-gap.

I'm just a bit surprised that England's starting half-back in a must win game against Australia is being talked about as a stopgap/injury cover option. I'm sure Brown has made the move because it's his final chance to win in a final.

Is 2017 their year then?

Archived