Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

Put off Bohemian Rhapsody by the lukewarm reviews so went to see A Star Is Born instead.........big mistake , Bradley Cooper produced,directed,and starred in it and don`t we know it . Slow paced and he just simply growled and grizzled his way through it . One giant ego trip in my opinion , but then nearly 90% of people liked it on Rotten Tomatoes so what do i know .

10 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Put off Bohemian Rhapsody by the lukewarm reviews so went to see A Star Is Born instead.........big mistake , Bradley Cooper produced,directed,and starred in it and don`t we know it . Slow paced and he just simply growled and grizzled his way through it . One giant ego trip in my opinion , but then nearly 90% of people liked it on Rotten Tomatoes so what do i know .

The target audience for Bohemian Rhapsody is fans of the group and their music. This may sound obvious, but it seems to me that a lot of the critics aren't fans, and thus may be expecting something the movie never intended to offer. It's not a warts and all biopic, it's more a Freddie Mercury tribute. Clue: Executive Producers are Brian May and Roger Taylor. They were never going to approve anything which risked trashing their, and Freddie's, reputations.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

56 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

The target audience for Bohemian Rhapsody is fans of the group and their music. This may sound obvious, but it seems to me that a lot of the critics aren't fans, and thus may be expecting something the movie never intended to offer. It's not a warts and all biopic, it's more a Freddie Mercury tribute. Clue: Executive Producers are Brian May and Roger Taylor. They were never going to approve anything which risked trashing their, and Freddie's, reputations.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fair enough. 

But, most of the general public are not Queen fans, which is why most critics are not. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Fair enough. 

But, most of the general public are not Queen fans, which is why most critics are not. 

Absolutely. If you don't like Queen or their music, don't go see the movie. Simples.

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

• 2 weeks later...

Everything I hear about the Bros documentary 'After the Screaming stops' sounds absolutely (unintentionally) hilarious. Luke as David St Hubbins and Matt as Nigel Tufnell.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I saw Peterloo last week and I highly recommend it. A very timely look at England's radical history. It can be a bit heavy on the speeches as you would expect but they build up the tension well to the final massacre. The best part about it though is that it really shows the tensions building between the working class and middle class in the reform coalition which would lead to the future betrayal of the former by the latter. Great performance by former Wigan Ladies player Maxine Peake as always.

10 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I saw Peterloo last week and I highly recommend it. A very timely look at England's radical history. It can be a bit heavy on the speeches as you would expect but they build up the tension well to the final massacre. The best part about it though is that it really shows the tensions building between the working class and middle class in the reform coalition which would lead to the future betrayal of the former by the latter. Great performance by former Wigan Ladies player Maxine Peake as always.

History magazine did a podcast with the director who said he was aware that it was heavy on speeches but it was unavoidable 

In my opinion it was a little long. I definitely felt certain scenes which were given 10 minutes could have been cut and used in exposition. These scenes had little impact seeing them first hand  - I won't discuss them for the people who may have the intention of watching it. I think there's an exceptional 1hr 50-2hr film in there but Mike Leigh clearly has final cut and its rare a director is as talented at editing and pacing as an editor (and you only need to watch Mr Turner to know Mike Leigh shouldn't get final cut). Certainly not a bad film, but fell short of being exceptional because of it's indulgence at times. 

An aside but i find it really frustrating in a way that they released it 199 years after it happened. Just 1 year off the big milestone!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:47 PM, Stan Doffarf said:

Absolutely. If you don't like Queen or their music, don't go see the movie. Simples.

Clearly, you were never a student desperate to fill a word count as you've said in 15 what it takes me several hundred to achieve.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Clearly, you were never a student desperate to fill a word count as you've said in 15 what it takes me several hundred to achieve.

My teacher in sixth form once wrote on my essay “ why use one word when a hundred will do “ .  I never learned brevity . I’m glad to say though I’ve never said or wrote ‘ simples ‘ , which should be outlawed by the United Nations 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

My teacher in sixth form once wrote on my essay “ why use one word when a hundred will do “ .  I never learned brevity . I’m glad to say though I’ve never said or wrote ‘ simples ‘ , which should be outlawed by the United Nations 

I hope you know that the words in your proof quote don't count in the finished total....I'm onto you and your tricky ways!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Written, not wrote ?.

• Thanks 1

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

50 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Written, not wrote ?.

Ernie Wise is spinning in his grave.

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, gingerjon said:

Good review, enjoyed reading it.

I've seen BoRap twice now and I'd say that's a very fair appraisal of it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald on Monday night.

It's the first time I've seen one of these 'Potterverse' films at the cinema, I've seen all the others on the small screen and enjoyed them so i was looking forward to this.

My expectations were probably a bit too high, as I was left underwhelmed. No that much seems to happen plotwise and it dragged in places. Very little if any light relief too, unlike the Potter films.

I think it suffers from being the middle bit of a longer story arc. It reminded me of The Hobbit trilogy in that respect. One moderately interesting story stretched out over 3 pointlessly long drawn out films.

On 11/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, gingerjon said:

I very nearly went to see it recently but decided not to after seeing some lukewarm reviews.

After reading your review I've changed my mind.

I hope it's still on somewhere near me.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I very nearly went to see it recently but decided not to after seeing some lukewarm reviews.

After reading your review I've changed my mind.

I hope it's still on somewhere near me.

If you hate it, don’t blame me. Like I say, objectively it isn’t great. So don’t watch it objectively ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I went to see A Star Is Born as there wasn't anything else on. A well known story updated for the modern era - Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga do a decent job (better than I expected in both cases) but the whole thing is too long, a criticism I will level at many modern films, especially when the director isn't reined in. Peterloo is a good example too - it's a long time to get to the denoument, which is shocking, but there's a little bit too much Basil Exposition in the 2 hours before it. 

I also watched Widows (based on the British TV series but set in the USA). Decent enough thriller but with a few glaring plot holes that always bug me.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

I went to see A Star Is Born as there wasn't anything else on. A well known story updated for the modern era - Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga do a decent job (better than I expected in both cases) but the whole thing is too long, a criticism I will level at many modern films, especially when the director isn't reined in. Peterloo is a good example too - it's a long time to get to the denoument, which is shocking, but there's a little bit too much Basil Exposition in the 2 hours before it. 

I also watched Widows (based on the British TV series but set in the USA). Decent enough thriller but with a few glaring plot holes that always bug me.

Roger Corman always said that there wasn't a single movie, however good, that couldn't be improved by having 20-30 minutes expertly trimmed from the running order.

In some cases (Michael Cimino, I'm looking at you!), an hour or more could be cropped to good effect.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I watched JFK the other day for the first time. I have to confess that I have never been a big fan of Kevin Costner but I found it a very entertaining film.

Excellent film