Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Just noticed the incredible 'Loving Vincent' is on Netflix. It's mind boggling the work that has gone into this. It's the story of Van Gogh...

Well spotted! It is a visually amazing piece of work.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Saw that last night too, I thought it was an excellent film, when the DVD is released, I hope they manage to get a copyright on some of their original films to include as extras.

Maybe you know otherwise, but I thought it was just that the original nitrate films just don't last very long and although the library of congress got some of the originals, they need fairly expensive & time consuming restoration work to be watchable again.

Started watching a Spanish film , cant remember its name , last night on netflix . 

Set in the Philippines ,  spanish garrison had been wiped out by the locals , ship load of Spaniards  turns up to take back the village , doesn't go well and are under siege . Had to go to bed just as the Officers dog was been eaten , might watch the rest tonight .

Edited by henage

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Maybe you know otherwise, but I thought it was just that the original nitrate films just don't last very long and although the library of congress got some of the originals, they need fairly expensive & time consuming restoration work to be watchable again.

Talking Pictures TV show a few L&H films every month, and before each broadcast starts, there's a little information screen about the restoration project that's been happening to preserve their legacy. Some films look better than others, but at least they've been saved.

There are also DVD box sets of varying size - the one I've got has become very expensive now, but I got it when it was temporarily discounted to £25, which is a bargain in anyone's book.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, henage said:

Started watching a Spanish film , cant remember its name , last night on netflix . 

Set in the Philippines ,  spanish garrison had been wiped out by the locals , ship load of Spaniards  turns up to take back the village , doesn't go well and are under siege . Had to go to bed just as the Officers dog was been eaten , might watch the rest tonight .

Our Last Men in the Philippines?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 1/15/2019 at 9:39 PM, henage said:

yes thats the one , just finished watching , really enjoyed it .

Have watched the first half hour or so. Enjoying it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Never was a fan of the band's shrill Aryan pop style, but Bros: After the Screaming stops is weirdly compelling and often very funny. Somewhere between Anvil (but with less likeable protagonists) and Spinal Tap (only real life instead of fiction).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 40 years, but I reckon most of you will guess which film reunion this is.

DyLdXrcX4AEhJ-p.jpg

• Like 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Went to see M. Night Shayamalan's latest film "Glass" on Sunday - the double sequel to Unbreakable (2000) and Split (2017).

I really enjoyed it - you have to suspend a bit of disbelief and run with it. Sam Jackson, Bruce Willis and James McAvoy are all very good.

On Monday I saw Clint Eastwood's "The Mule" - directing and starring at the age of 88. I enjoyed that too. I'd forgotten what a womaniser he is until Wikipedia helped me out when I was chekcing his age - unknown number of children (definitely 7, likely an 8th, maybe more) by 5/6/more than 6 different women. Plus numerous affairs in one of his marriages tolerated by the wife. One of his daughters plays his daughter in the film.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see 'All Is True' last night, the story of William Shakespeare's later life after his playwriting days had ended, starring Kenneth Branagh as the Bard and Dame Judi Dench as Mrs S.

It starts incredibly slowly, so don't go if you're feeling a bit tired or you'll nod off, but it picks up steam halfway through and ends up being quite engaging.

I don't know if 'all is true' with regard to the events featured in the script, somehow I doubt it, but if so, Will's family were quite the scandal magnets back in their day.

You could call it Upstart Crow without the laughs (I didn't know it was also written by Ben Elton till the end credits rolled) but unfortunately all the best supporting characters in the TV show are dead and gone before the period covered by the film. Sir Ian McKellen does turn up to chew the scenery for a brief moment as the Earl of Southampton though.

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I went to see 'All Is True' last night, the story of William Shakespeare's later life after his playwriting days had ended, starring Kenneth Branagh as the Bard and Dame Judi Dench as Mrs S.

It starts incredibly slowly, so don't go if you're feeling a bit tired or you'll nod off, but it picks up steam halfway through and ends up being quite engaging.

I don't know if 'all is true' with regard to the events featured in the script, somehow I doubt it, but if so, Will's family were quite the scandal magnets back in their day.

You could call it Upstart Crow without the laughs (I didn't know it was also written by Ben Elton till the end credits rolled) but unfortunately all the best supporting characters in the TV show are dead and gone before the period covered by the film. Sir Ian McKellen does turn up to chew the scenery for a brief moment as the Earl of Southampton though.

There's a very good interview with Kenneth Branagh about the whole project in this week's Kermode and Mayo podcast.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 11:28 PM, Johnoco said:

Been to see Stan & Ollie today. It's fantastic.

I aren't sure it wasn't Laurel and Hardy actually in the film. Superb

Saw it last week. Loved it.

As my daughter said, "Stan Laurel and Steve Coogan combined, you'll have been beside yourself".

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Scanning though Amazon Prime movies and found A Bronx Tale. The last time I saw it was at the cinema. Watched it again and still enjoyed it. ?

I then realised it was made 26 years ago. Over a quarter of a century! Time really does fly! 

This afternoon, for the first time (despite knowing about it for ages), I finally watched 'Black Narcissus'. Made in 1947, and absolutely superb!

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

This afternoon, for the first time (despite knowing about it for ages), I finally watched 'Black Narcissus'. Made in 1947, and absolutely superb!

Black Narcissus is fantastic as is pretty much every Powell & Pressburger film. If you haven't seen them I'd highly recommend A Matter Of Life & Death, The Life & Death Of Colonel Blimp and their best The Red Shoes. Jack Cardiff's cinematography is stunning on them.

Michael Powell also did Peeping Tom, released in the same year as Psycho. They had a field day with it's supposed depravity and it all but ruined his career. You can now buy it on DVD with a 15 certificate on it. 

Edited by andyscoot

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

On TV this weekend, Kiki's Delivery Service

All the studio Ghibli films I've seen have been brilliant. I can't bring myself to watch Grave of the Fireflies though... 

Heard it might be a bit too emotional (also its not a kids film so I'm not sure when I'd get chance to watch it anyway)

3 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

All the studio Ghibli films I've seen have been brilliant. I can't bring myself to watch Grave of the Fireflies though... 

Heard it might be a bit too emotional (also its not a kids film so I'm not sure when I'd get chance to watch it anyway)

Number 10 on the list, it's a 12 Cert, seen it once, it is emotional.

• Sad 1