Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

• 2 weeks later...

On 23/01/2022 at 16:01, Stirlin said:

Autopsy of Jane Dow

First time on British TV according to my listing magazine , Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch as father and son coroners. 3 people found slaughtered in very grisley fashion , but it is the half buried dead body of a young girl in the basement with no visible injuries that the film concentrates on.

Film 4 so will probably be on again in a few weeks , or now on catch up.

On tonight at 2320 , channel 14  FILM 4.

Just having a night in with the daughters and their better half’s.  We had home made pizzas, a few beers and a couple of bottles of the old vino collapso and we introduced them to the classic that is Weekend at Bernies.

How Terry Kiser (Bernie) did not beat Daniel Day-Lewis to win the Oscar for that years film is a travesty!

On 14/05/2022 at 21:53, Gerrumonside ref said:

Has anyone seen Operation Mincemeat, is it worth going to the pictures to watch it ?. 

Not seen it.  It is set for limited theatrical release in May and on Netflix in selected countries on May 11......currently date not listed for UK.

• Thanks 1

If Imperial Stormtroopers could shoot straight.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 20:18, Futtocks said:

If Imperial Stormtroopers could shoot straight.

Speaking of which, if you’ve seen the new Top Gun movie, the plot is literally pulled straight from Star Wars! Right down to flying down a trench full of gun towers and hitting a bullseye <quote> ‘only two metres wide’ which causes the whole thing to blow up! 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

On 29/05/2022 at 15:28, glemiln said:

Not seen it.  It is set for limited theatrical release in May and on Netflix in selected countries on May 11......currently date not listed for UK.

Fascinating story , great book by Ben McIntyre , I hope it is on Netflix sometime soon 

• 2 weeks later...

House of Gucci

Lots of good actors, but tbh that's really where the resemblance to an important, neccessary or justifiable story ends.

And as with a fair few things from or about the pretensions of fame or importance largely unredeemable.

Music was a good point though.

I'm looking forward to the English version House of Cadbury.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• 2 weeks later...

Theatre of blood - Vincent Price - Diana Rigg - etc etc 

worth watching for Arthur Lowes head rolling round on the floor alone

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I just watched a movie with these two people in it, but it wasn't Airplane! and it wasn't a comedy.

GtOnid4.jpg

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

57 minutes ago, Spidey said:

PS was it Forbidden Planet?  It’s the only non comedy film I can think of for Leslie Nielsen

He did loads of movies and TV before ZAZ picked him for the part of Dr Rumack in Airplane!. This particular one is Day of the Animals from 1977 and you keep expecting a deadpan joke or a pratfall from him, but no.

His character in this film is an arrogant, egotistical, racist bully, who turns to murder and attempted rape before the end. Thankfully, I was watching the RiffTrax version, which does make it funny.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This seems to be something that "everyone knew" that only really became common knowledge a few years ago: that virtually the entire script of Airplane! is based on Zero Hour.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

This seems to be something that "everyone knew" that only really became common knowledge a few years ago: that virtually the entire script of Airplane! is based on Zero Hour.

Yes, ZAZ bought the rights to Zero Hour so they could do what they liked to it without any legal objections.

Peter Graves (Captain Oveur) was another actor who'd never done comedy before, and he tried to back out of the role at one point, saying that he just wasn't funny. ZAZ explained that they wanted him to deliver his lines straight, with exactly the same gravitas as his usual work. Hence the absolute deadpan brilliance of "Joey... do you like movies about gladiators?"

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, ZAZ bought the rights to Zero Hour so they could do what they liked to it without any legal objections.

Peter Graves (Captain Oveur) was another actor who'd never done comedy before, and he tried to back out of the role at one point, saying that he just wasn't funny. ZAZ explained that they wanted him to deliver his lines straight, with exactly the same gravitas as his usual work. Hence the absolute deadpan brilliance of "Joey... do you like movies about gladiators?"

.....and choosing ' Modern Sperm ' from the magazine rack for a quick glance.

On 05/07/2022 at 22:20, Futtocks said:

Hence the absolute deadpan brilliance of "Joey... do you like movies about gladiators?"

One of the all time great scenes in one of the all time great films . 

I remember watching Bananas with my dad when I was young and finding it hilarious and full of silly humour we loved , especially when Woody Allen was putting the gun together blindfolded . I rewatched it and obviously haven’t grew up , it was still hilarious . I liked Sleeper as well

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I remember watching Bananas with my dad when I was young and finding it hilarious and full of silly humour we loved , especially when Woody Allen was putting the gun together blindfolded . I rewatched it and obviously haven’t grew up , it was still hilarious . I liked Sleeper as well

There's a very early-career appearance by Sylvester Stallone in Bananas, too.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now... any questions?

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 07/07/2022 at 16:09, DavidM said:

Both brilliant films, Bananas is probably my favourite Woody Allen film. Much prefer his early stuff.