Eastmond

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

1. Has anyone in authority suggested that?

2. Posters thoughts are worth not much on the scale of things.

3. Would I have him back? No, he was going to be the next big thing which I did not really buy into, left and cashed in with Union as is his choice.

4. He should finish his career there IMO, he has little or nothing to offer in Rugby League at his stage of his career.

5. Its not a Union V League thing but I do not think League should be a safety net to fall into when your Union options have dried up.

6. You make your choices in life and live with the consequences.

1.  No idea - almost certainly not, not least of all because of the futility (and illegality) of such a general stance.

2.  True, but they are all that keep this forum going.

3.  I agree.

4.  I largely agree.  The exception might be if I had a coach/someone on my coaching staff who I knew/suspected was particularly good at reintroducing erstwhile RL payers back to the code.

5.  In the eyes of some, it is a union -v- league thing, hence the unease expressed by some other posters on this thread (eg Padge and Futtocks) and me about the prospect of excluding somebody from RL, specifically because of another way they opted to earn a living.

6.  I agree.  One such choice should be to return to a previous aspect of your career if - as you rightly point out - anybody will have you!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread

High morals don't really come into it - if he shows any sign of wanting to come back to RL there will absolutely be a number of SL clubs who will be trying to sign him.

In case people haven't noticed, there is a significant talent shortage in Rugby League. Yes, by all means, work hard at developing 'our own' players. But alongside that, if a quality player becomes available, then there will be plenty of suitors, I am sure of that!

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

High morals don't really come into it - if he shows any sign of wanting to come back to RL there will absolutely be a number of SL clubs who will be trying to sign him.

In case people haven't noticed, there is a significant talent shortage in Rugby League. Yes, by all means, work hard at developing 'our own' players. But alongside that, if a quality player becomes available, then there will be plenty of suitors, I am sure of that!

Agree. He's a young man trying to earn a living, and ultimately as long as he puts in effort on the field you can't begrudge him a contract. Time will tell what happens.

I would like to see him back in SL. 

13 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Got nothing against Eastmond personally and hope he gets his future sorted, but no club would be silly enough to take a gamble with the sort of money he’d be looking for.   He’d be much better off on an average union contract which will still be far in excess of what he’d earn in league.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

On 5/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, frank said:

There should be no way back for these guys who have spent their best years playing Union.Once they have made that move that's it.

That's sailing close to the bigotry we spent over a century criticising in union. Its now a free jobs market and any attempt at discrimination would be illegal 

If you worked at Coca Cola and they Had invested considerable time in you and then you jumped to Pepsi for more money.

Pepsi decide that they have give up on this project as its not want  they want now.

Let him go and develop players that will stay in the game and invest in what got them their opportunity

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

26 minutes ago, Allora said:

If you worked at Coca Cola and they Had invested considerable time in you and then you jumped to Pepsi for more money.

Pepsi decide that they have give up on this project as its not want  they want now.

Let him go and develop players that will stay in the game and invest in what got them their opportunity

Are you trying to say that in the corporate world recruitment decisions are made on moral or emotional grounds. Quite the opposite... hard nosed commertiality wins out.

In the scenario abovr the decision making process is.

- does this person offer something we need (skills, knowledge, experience)

- can we get that at the right price which will offer value to my organisation.

I expect any Rugby League club to think in a similar way.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Allora said:

A bank I used to work for underpaid lower jobs but paid a very good wage for more senior people... it meant you pest got more experience somewhere else with different practices and products then you would go back (as they did treat you well) with new ideas.... was a very good and very very successful policy (and known well in the industry)... 

Happens a lot in business and no one bats an eyelid. 

7 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Got nothing against Eastmond personally and hope he gets his future sorted, but no club would be silly enough to take a gamble with the sort of money he’d be looking for.   He’d be much better off on an average union contract which will still be far in excess of what he’d earn in league.

Well, that will play out over coming months. If he is able to get the contract that he wants in RU then, of course, he would have that option. 

Or perhaps he fancies the challenge of proving himself in RL, in which case maybe he would be willing to take the best contract he can get from a SL club.

The truth is that none of us knows what contract he would or would not be willing to sign. What I was referring to in my post were people saying that he should not, even must not, be allowed to play in RL again because in some way he has 'burnt his bridges'. That just seems crazy to me (as well as completely illegal in any case in these days of free movement)

Forget the money, RL clubs have purchased plenty of over-rated and injury prone players over the years and will continue to do so.

I couldn't care any less what he might be paid if he came back.

Eastmond is a talent and one id much rather play RL than RU, and i hope he signs for a SL team soon.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

9 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I find it astonishing that there are alternative views to this one.

People called Romans they go the house

10 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

I find it astonishing that there are alternative views to this one.

This place would be very boring if we all thought the same thing.

Or more likely this place wouldn't exist.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Wasn't Warrington the rumoured destination last time his contract was up?.. 

Wonder if Wigan will take a look at him.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

So it's rumoured that Wire are interested in signing Eastmond and that Patton could be leaving them. Can't exactly see the sense in that. Obviously the club don't rate Patton as highly as some others but he's still one of the most promising halves in the competition. To then bring in Eastmond would seem like odd business. He's had a terrible record with injuries, has been out of the sport for years and not every player who goes to rugby union returns with the same success that Charnley has had.

3 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

So it's rumoured that Wire are interested in signing Eastmond and that Patton could be leaving them. Can't exactly see the sense in that. Obviously the club don't rate Patton as highly as some others but he's still one of the most promising halves in the competition. To then bring in Eastmond would seem like odd business. He's had a terrible record with injuries, has been out of the sport for years and not every player who goes to rugby union returns with the same success that Charnley has had.

Rumour has it that Patton has high wage demands, and that would pressure the cap directly were has Eastmond wage demands are offset by relaxing the rules for RU players. Not saying I agree with this as Patton seems to be improving under Price. 

20 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Rumour has it that Patton has high wage demands, and that would pressure the cap directly were has Eastmond wage demands are offset by relaxing the rules for RU players. Not saying I agree with this as Patton seems to be improving under Price. 

You’d think he’d want to play first and foremost , so shouldn’t be demanding so much it may make suitors think twice ?

You’d think with brown , and Roberts often reported as not settling , they’d want Patton as a long term half who’s time is close . Look at Richardson , give these kids a gig and a bit of time and they have the tools

Archived