Qualifiers: Squeaky Bum Time!

Scubby

9 hours ago, Roy Haggerty said:

If we assume a Tornoto defeat to Leeds and a London win over Halifax, then there's a better than good chance that the MPG will be London v Toronto in London. 27 points separate them. I can see London winning by more than 17, and Toronto losing by more than 10. 

I hope London have got an option on a decent stadium in case they win.

That’s true actually. It’s also a good point in respect of the ground. Their ground holds 3,020 and I reckon they could hit that figure. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is a fascinating end to the season but, in context, it is almost October and few of these clubs have been able to recruit properly and some haven't even got proper grounds for next season. Yet we are asking them to go around again from the beginning of February.

Squeaky bum time in the 8s really does provide car crash TV and chaos in club offices.

The rogue in the last round is Widnes. Is that squad of players going to turn up in Hull and give it a real dig or just lie down and have their tummies tickled?

In context the winner of next years Championship GF will still be a week away from knowing if they are in a part time league or a full time league in 2020 and yet most likely 10/11 of the other SL teams will have done their recruiting already

So most likely they'll just cannibalise the team at the bottom of SL

Hull KR only lost 2 more games in the regular rounds than the club placed 6th. How they have ended up at this point I really don't know. Squeaking past Toronto in Canada could well have saved them from the abyss.

Their last game being the only Middle 8s fixture on the Sunday may be a "lose and you are down" scenario, or "lose and you are away in the MPG".  That's a lot of pressure against a side with nothing to lose.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Hull KR only lost 2 more games in the regular rounds than the club placed 6th. How they have ended up at this point I really don't know. Squeaking past Toronto in Canada could well have saved them from the abyss.

Their last game being the only Middle 8s fixture on the Sunday may be a "lose and you are down" scenario, or "lose and you are away in the MPG".  That's a lot of pressure against a side with nothing to lose.

Surely playing proffessional sport is all about ' pressure ' , otherwise stick to the community game and a few beers in the club house afterwards

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

In context the winner of next years Championship GF will still be a week away from knowing if they are in a part time league or a full time league in 2020 and yet most likely 10/11 of the other SL teams will have done their recruiting already

So most likely they'll just cannibalise the team at the bottom of SL

This is my major issue with 1 up 1 down, should be at least 2 imo perhaps with an 11th plays 2nd playoff like Scottish Football.

41 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Hull KR only lost 2 more games in the regular rounds than the club placed 6th. How they have ended up at this point I really don't know.

One of the fundamental flaws of the qualifiers; they shouldn’t anywhere near relegation after half decent first season back. Widnes on the other hand deserve to be relegated finishing bottom.

9 hours ago, jim_57 said:

I notice nobody really gives Halifax a chance. They were the equal of London & Toulouse on competition points before the split even if form significantly favours London.

You're absolutely right. I was at the regular league game at Trailfinders and Halifax could have won that. London will have to be switched on and concentrate on winning the game - any flighty thinking about points difference will definitely see them come unstuck.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Do Hull KR play next Sunday? If so that us unfair as they’ll know exactly what to do (and possibly how many to win by) and how to prepare accordingly.

it could be that Toronto win healthily next week and still end up in the MPG because Rovers will know they just need to win by one more point pts diff-wise

3 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Do Hull KR play next Sunday? If so that us unfair as they’ll know exactly what to do (and possibly how many to win by) and how to prepare accordingly.

it could be that Toronto win healthily next week and still end up in the MPG because Rovers will know they just need to win by one more point pts diff-wise

I doubt many Hull KR fans or players will deem it unfair.

On the contrary, if it transpires they definitely need to win, the pressure will be enormous.

If anything, it may help Widnes.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

22 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

On the contrary, if it transpires they definitely need to win, the pressure will be enormous.

You've suddenly piped up after a blip from the Robins ? 

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

The rogue in the last round is Widnes. Is that squad of players going to turn up in Hull and give it a real dig or just lie down and have their tummies tickled?

It doesn't matter how deep we dig we are simply not good enough.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

You've suddenly piped up after a blip from the Robins ? 

Harrumph!

I'm quite sure I've no idea what you're taking about.

:whistle:

1 minute ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

It doesn't matter how deep we dig we are simply not good enough.

You will probably have Widnes's biggest away following in history cheering you on mate.

49 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Teams knowing what they need to do usually do it. Why does football have everyone kicking off at the same time on the last game of the season. If they need to win by 20 they would be taking a different approach than if they didnt know 

3 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Teams knowing what they need to do usually do it. Why does football have everyone kicking off at the same time on the last game of the season. If they need to win by 20 they would be taking a different approach than if they didnt know 

I appreciate what you're saying but did Hull KR think they needed to win by 19 yesterday?

Sooooo could KR finish 6th if the stars align?

Could Toronto finish second?

If Toronto thrash Leeds enough could we see London or Toulouse move to 3rd?

Could we possibly see Leeds in the mpg and lose?!

Man things are getting heavy.

(I know that these are very left field things that could happen, and probably won't, but wouldnt it be something)

This is all of course if fax wins

13 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Sooooo could KR finish 6th if the stars align?

Could Toronto finish second?

If Toronto thrash Leeds enough could we see London or Toulouse move to 3rd?

Could we possibly see Leeds in the mpg and lose?!

Man things are getting heavy.

(I know that these are very left field things that could happen, and probably won't, but wouldnt it be something)

This is all of course if fax wins

If Leeds win today, which they will, they'll be safe. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

16 hours ago, Roy Haggerty said:

If we assume a Tornoto defeat to Leeds and a London win over Halifax, then there's a better than good chance that the MPG will be London v Toronto in London. 27 points separate them. I can see London winning by more than 17, and Toronto losing by more than 10. 

I hope London have got an option on a decent stadium in case they win.

Factor in the possibility of an in-form Toulouse beating Salford and Toronto might not even make it into the MPG! 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

14 hours ago, jim_57 said:

I notice nobody really gives Halifax a chance. They were the equal of London & Toulouse on competition points before the split even if form significantly favours London.

Write Fax off at your peril. They ALWAYS give us a very tight game. The notion we are going to pump them is bonkers. Granted we played very well against Salford, but lets not forget the fact we are effectively operating on one half back and a lock playing hooker. With Cunningham, Pewparangi, S Davis, Meadows and Harrison out for the season we are being really stretched. 

22 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If Leeds win today, which they will, they'll be safe. 

They look safe now.  It was 6 a piece at halftime when I made that post, oh well!

Archived