Catalans to play at Barcelona in 2019

Mr Plow

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at all this, it's a wonderful idea and I hope it happens. There is clearly a political concept to it, in that the wonderful Dragons are a Catalan team first and foremost. Above being French. 

Hence the most famous expression of Catalan identity, the mighty Barcelona would want to give them some respect as face it the Dragons won a big trophy and got alot of Press and have some native talent... Correct me if I'm wrong However Garcia and many of the other French lads are all relatively local to Perpignan in where they grew up. 

So ultimately this is Catalan solidarity thing. 

I would think 30-40k is feasible for this game. Thoughts? 

Thoughts? Playing in stadiums in the UK that are less than half full attracts the opprobrium of a number of posters.  Look at the posts criticising Wigan's crowds, or moaning at the crowds at Wembley.   Suddenly, though, possibly getting 30k to 40K in a near 100K stadium is great news!

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Thoughts? Playing in stadiums in the UK that are less than half full attracts the opprobrium of a number of posters.  Look at the posts criticising Wigan's crowds, or moaning at the crowds at Wembley.   Suddenly, though, possibly getting 30k to 40K in a near 100K stadium is great news!

I think it is fair to say that 40k at the Nou Camp should be seen in a better light than 12k in Wigan, but each to their own.

Plenty already criticising this on Twitter!!!

I am well and truly dismayed at how anyone can criticise this. Catalans being invited to play at the Nou Camp, rather than them seeking it, and being allowed to parade the trophy at half time is tremendous recognition for the club and sport in itself. As is meeting the Catalonian President. However then to be asked to play there is pretty staggering in my opinion.

The Nou Camp is one of the most iconic stadiums in the World and tens of thousands visit if  purely as tourists each year such is it's prestige. It will definitely signal to people in France, Spain and the UK even that Rugby League is a major sport and would shock many people. It will get the sport amazing amounts of kudos and recognition. It will attract fans from the Perpignan region, wider Catalonia and Wigan as well as general Rugby League fans who certainly wouldn't have gone otherwise. I remember odd games Wigan v Manly that seemed to attract fans of Rugby League from all over and I think this would be one of those moments. If we get less than 40k then so be it but surely it's better to take the opportunity that has been presented on a plate than just play it in Perpignan?

20 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

any criticism is stupidity, Wigan would take +5000 imo, Leigh would take 3000 if in the same boat. Flights are cheap and plentiful in June to make a long weekend of it - I am jealous of my Humble neighbours.

The less stupid amongst us understand the meaning of the word.

Criticism: The analysis and judgement of the merits and faults of a proposition, act  etc.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'm certainly not against the idea  What I am saying though, if we were talking about the Cup Final crowd being 40K in a 99K stadium, the forum would be in meltdown already.  

Aye, I got the point you were making but I don't think we can cater too much for dumb or overly negative people. 

I think some clubs deserve criticism for empty seats at their grounds, I can understand criticism of the Cup Final crowd - it would be bizarre if we managed to get  40k and that to be criticised. Screw 'em.

19 hours ago, Padge said:

Pah! I could see loads of empty seats in that stadium.

20 minutes from kick-off barely quarter full with the huge yellow Nike/FC Barcelona signature  emblazoned on the seating clearly visible. By the time the Messi and Co had emerged though all the yellowness had disappeared like poppies falling at the Royal Albert Hall as the place filled up.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On 9/24/2018 at 12:27 PM, Mr Wind Up said:

Everytime Barcelona is mentioned, it's always Camp Nou. Why?

There's a more modern stadium in Barcelona with a capacity of 40,000. 

estadio_espanyol_a220612_l3.jpg

Camp Nou is an iconic stadium, that alone attracts people to it, more than just what the actual event taking place in it

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Camp Nou is an iconic stadium, that alone attracts people to it, more than just what the actual event taking place in it

I'd imagine the stadium would get quite a few visitors daily just with tourism/stadium tours. I wonder if Catalans can tap in to that market with relatively cheap tickets advertised. Touring the stadium is one thing but being able to attend an event there wouldn't normally be that easy you'd think.

4 hours ago, audois said:

20 minutes from kick-off barely quarter full with the huge yellow Nike/FC Barcelona signature  emblazoned on the seating clearly visible. By the time the Messi and Co had emerged though all the yellowness had disappeared like poppies falling at the Royal Albert Hall as the place filled up.

whoosh

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I might go to this if it's on. From Stanstead/Luton/Gatwick it's £75/£79/£56 respectively (I can cycle to Luton so far easier) I spend £40 driving or getting the train up for a Hull home match so hardly a big leap tbh.

For goons fans £86 from Manchester or Liverpool via easyjet if travelling midweek, if leaving Thurs or Fri it's closer to £100-110

20 hours ago, JohnM said:

I'm certainly not against the idea  What I am saying though, if we were talking about the Cup Final crowd being 40K in a 99K stadium, the forum would be in meltdown already.  

But this isn't a cup final is it?  I  predict that this will be the highest attended event of the regular season next year. By a long shot.   Heck it might even beat the combined yearly attendance of some clubs ;)

Best part is it won't be in "the heartlands"

12 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

But this isn't a cup final is it?  I  predict that this will be the highest attended event of the regular season next year. By a long shot.   Heck it might even beat the combined yearly attendance of some clubs ;)

Best part is it won't be in "the heartlands"

We should be careful about over-confidence here. In 2009 Catalans averaged 8.1k, they got 10k more than that for the marquee game at the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona.

Another 22k won't necessarily just turn up, unless we do a lot of promotion and activity to drive those people through the gates.

When we do things like this, we need to go all out (and I would support centralised SLE funding/profit share), because we absolutely should be looking to break records, and not just get 18k again.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We should be careful about over-confidence here. In 2009 Catalans averaged 8.1k, they got 10k more than that for the marquee game at the Olympic Stadium in Barcelona.

Another 22k won't necessarily just turn up, unless we do a lot of promotion and activity to drive those people through the gates.

When we do things like this, we need to go all out (and I would support centralised SLE funding/profit share), because we absolutely should be looking to break records, and not just get 18k again.

The Nou Camp factor alone should double that 18k compared to playing at the Olympic Stadium in my opinion. Whoever I have spoken to will make a big effort to attend this purely because of that, that wouldn't be the case for the Olympic Stadium or Perpignan. Similarly I'm sure more floating Catalan's fans that support Barcleona will go all out to go to this which I'm sure wouldn't be the case for the Olympic Stadium.

If we can tap into Barcelona FC's fans and their tour packages etc, and I'm sure they will be obliging as they seemingly wish to push the whole Catalans pride angle, then the potential is enormous. Cheap tickets for Barcelona FC season ticket holders etc too, really tap into that huge market. Also get in touch with the likes of TUI, Thomas Cook etc and get them to sell the game with their excursion packages, advertising at the airport arrivals etc. To me 18k is the floor and the bare minimum that has been shown to be achievable, and with doing diddly squat we should far suppasse that because of the venue alone. I agree though let's really push this and I am very optimistic that Barcelona FC really will as well as the City if they are made aware of the tourist and financial benefits.

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

i shall continue my over confidence until proven wrong on the matter (it is the internet way!)

I think les dragons will market this appropriately, and ride the challenge cup champions thing.  i hope they milk this opportunity for all its worth.

1 minute ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Why, why, why are people banging on about what the size of the crowd may be

Why for once can't all RL supporters just be bl00dy proud and chuffed that the President of one of the worlds most famous sports club has asked for the Catalans to play there?

Hear hear... Too many whinging keyboard ninjas...

41 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Why, why, why are people banging on about what the size of the crowd may be

Why for once can't all RL supporters just be bl00dy proud and chuffed that the President of one of the worlds most famous sports club has asked for the Catalans to play there?

The reality is that the success of this will be measured by crowd numbers, rightly or wrongly. The purpose of things like this is to take the game to new areas, increase profile etc. If we get 10k it will get kicked.

People are excited about the possibility of breaking the SL match attendance record, hence discussions around the crowd.

It is naive to expect anything else.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The reality is that the success of this will be measured by crowd numbers, rightly or wrongly. The purpose of things like this is to take the game to new areas, increase profile etc. If we get 10k it will get kicked.

People are excited about the possibility of breaking the SL match attendance record, hence discussions around the crowd.

It is naive to expect anything else.

But we are 9 months away from the game.

It just irks me that such a good news story gets lost in the squabble over the possible attendance.

Archived