Sign in to follow this  
Bob8

Religion

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

St Bede's was one of the house names at my Catholic School

Ora et Labora was the motto. I've always tried to live by it, probably.

Edited by Johnoco

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

I refer you to this passage from the quote.

“Bede wrote that the month in which English Christians were celebrating the resurrection of Jesus had been called Eosturmonath in Old English, referring to a goddess named Eostre. And even though Christians had begun affirming the Christian meaning of the celebration, they continued to use the name of the goddess to designate the season.”

Bede was so influential for later Christians that the name stuck, and hence Easter remains the name by which the English, Germans and Americans refer to the festival of Jesus’ resurrection

*Yawn*

Bede is a bit old.  He is in fact venerable.  However, that still doesn't change the fact that the word to describe the festival connected with the death and resurrection of Jesus has varied across the world while the English word may (or may not) have been derived from an old English word/pagan god/whatever.  Derivations are fascinating, although it's more of an art than a science (given the many roads through history the process can take) but the derivation of a word does not mean the same as the festival itself, which was the original point.  Easter was not called Easter in Biblical times or even for a few hundred years afterwards.  It was called Easter when it arrived in England, and probably not straight away even then.

Is there anything more hypocritical than organised religion:

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

18 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Is there anything more hypocritical than organised religion:

There are loads of things more hypocritical than 'organised religion'.  Corbynistas for one!

As for the Church of England.  I'm really not sure that could be called organised anything.  It's more of a political movement these days.  

9 minutes ago, Copa said:

There is currently a full (Australian) suppression order on the outcome of a case in Australia yesterday. It has global significance. It’s not hard to find out what the Vatican is referring to...

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pope-removes-george-pell-from-group-of-close-advisers

At one time the Catholic hierarchy were notorious for shipping off badly behaved priests to South America.

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

At one time the Catholic hierarchy were notorious for shipping off badly behaved priests to South America.

Wonder where they got the idea that Australia is where you sent your dodgy people from ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Wonder where they got the idea that Australia is where you sent your dodgy people from ...

Eh?

They were sending badly behaved priests to South America long before modern day Australia existed.  

Got to build our love on one foundation, or there will never be a love at all.

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Catholic Church is just another name for the Mafia. You look at even the last 100 years and you see the Catholic Church happy to work with people like the Nazis and helped many escape to South America. Then there is the links with drugs, money laundering etc especially in South America, Africa and Italy. Happy to prey on the poor and use the money for buying shares in weapon firms etc alongside other "Projects". All this in the name of Religion. But you can replace the "Catholics" with "Church of England" or the goings on in the Jewish or Muslim Religions.

The pretence is that its about some God and believing his sayings. Reality is that its run by corrupt people who are hoodwinking people and its based on lies. Religions is all about power and money and little to do with some fairytale person telling us how to run our life.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Johnoco said:

I've known a fair few Muslims, and still do, and one thing I can say for absolutely certain is that I've never met a half hearted Muslim. I've often asked, what if you were like most Christians, ie go to church a bit, celebrate Easter or Christmas (but genuinely so).... they either laughed at the very idea or occasionally get angry at the suggestion.

Praying 5 times a day is not optional, you *have* to do it. Ditto go to Mecca, observe Ramadan etc. In short, nothing like the casual attitudes most Christians have.

I know many Muslins in my work, and some are very religious; others  are as lax in their religion as most Christians.

They go to Friday Prayers, not pray 5 times a day and get drunk and try and sneak back home without their parents knowing.

From what you say, you don't know many young Muslins.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Bleep1673 said:

A couple of years ago I was working in Theatre on a Friday evening, on the emergency list, and the Muslim surgeon asked for some swabs to pack the wound. We all thought something bad had happened, especially when he left the table and descrubbed. We thought he was going to ring the consultant for advice. When he returned 15mins later, the scrub nurse asked him "What did he say?"

Surgeon replied "Who?"

Scrub nurse "Mr. So-&-So (the consultant)"

Surgeon "Oh, I didn't ring him, it's Friday, I had to do my prayers."

That is a lie!

Islam has many exceptions  - and saving a life is one.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, Saintslass said:

Not quite.  Biblical writings were compiled within the first century AD.  That is potentially within the lifetime of people who witnessed Jesus himself, followed him, possibly got close to him.  

There is very little historical evidence from so far back, full stop.  Why are you judging Christianity more harshly than anything else?  

The Romans indeed had their own faith system as did the Greeks.  Then the Romans as an empire converted to Christianity.  I would imagine, although neither you nor I know, that the reason our months are still based on Roman gods is because the Romans invaded Britain and one of the things they did was give our months names!  We have words from our Norman conquerors too and our Viking marauders.  Again, I don't see why you are highlighting Christianity as being different.

Christmas and Easter are not based on pagan festivals.  Christmas is certainly celebrated at the time of an earlier pagan festival but it is entirely different from those pagan festivals.  I am not sure that the early Christians in Britain replaced a pagan festival with Easter?  Easter changes every year.  

Why did you stay clear of Islam?

I don't see anyone forcing anything upon you.  

You obviously did not grow up in Northern Ireland, where religion was forced on you. ( swings being chained on a Sunday etc)

It still is forced on LGB people  who the ultra conservative Free Presbyterian church ( The DUP at prayer) still call gay people sodomites, are going to hell, etc

They forced a lot on me in the name of religion! I was a lucky one who escaped and made a new life,  So when you think Christianity wasn't forced down my throat for 18 years - you are WRONG.

Worse  - it is still happening today!  I judge Christianity more harshly, because that is what nearly destroyed MY life and I have experience of.

Other religions throwing LGB people of building is based on the Old Testament. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all believe the Old Testament ( with varying degrees of observance )

So no, No one forces anything on me now; apart from my childhood where Christianity was FORCED on me!

1 hour ago, kiyan said:

That is a lie!

Islam has many exceptions  - and saving a life is one.

I agree with you that saving a life would be a reasonable excuse. Even accidently sleeping in wouldnt be classed as a sin unless someone deliberately set their alarm clock late for example.

However in fairness to Bleep, there are more strict interpretations by scholars whereby any delay in prayer would be classed as a sin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niels said:

I agree with you that saving a life would be a reasonable excuse. Even accidently sleeping in wouldnt be classed as a sin unless someone deliberately set their alarm clock late for example.

However in fairness to Bleep, there are more strict interpretations by scholars whereby any delay in prayer would be classed as a sin.

There are "Christian Scholars" who insist that Woman should wear hats to church to protect their modesty and be subjugated to men. 

The Roman Catholic Church still believe that, as does the Free Presbyterian Church.  The Free P's better known as the religious wing of the DUP.

All signed up to belief in the Old and New Testament, particularity the bits in Deuteronomy  that they endlessly quote to "prove" gay is wrong.

Selectively quoting ( as most Christian groups do) to omit the bit the don't like.  

The DUP  holier than thou they preach ( despite the Numerous bribery/sex/gay scandals) to all, yet refuse to comment on why their leader is a woman.

Timothy 2:12  

I do not permit a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man; she is to remain quiet.

More specifically The Free P's have routed a lot of their belief around the text in Corinthians.

The Problem for Arlene is that The Free Pres Church does not allow female ministers, because it believes that woman are not equal.  Yet there she is!

Arlene did a Trump, before we knew.  She has taken charge of a Fringe Christian group, who by their own beliefs should not be lead by a woman!

Yet here we are - "Christians " in the US fighting  hard for a morally bankrupt, adulterous, lying , cheat called TRUMP, and in NI we have extreme Free Pres who support Arlene and Ian Paisley no matter what crimes and lies they have told.

so now I have no time for religion - I do however have a few friends who I care a lot for and are religious.

8 hours ago, kiyan said:

I know many Muslins in my work, and some are very religious; others  are as lax in their religion as most Christians.

They go to Friday Prayers, not pray 5 times a day and get drunk and try and sneak back home without their parents knowing.

From what you say, you don't know many young Muslins.

I know a few young Muslims but not in depth. However I can only go on what they tell me and that is they take their religion pretty seriously. I've known one or two Muslims who don't follow it much and drink etc but these are very much the exception.

13 hours ago, kiyan said:

The Problem for Arlene is that The Free Pres Church does not allow female ministers, because it believes that woman are not equal.  Yet there she is!

I thought Arlene was COI? I can certainly see some of the old guard Free Ps in the party disliking her leadership.

2 hours ago, guess who said:

Religion is just a crutch for the weak to lean on.

What about family and friends? Professional therapists? Are they crutches for the weak?

• Like 1

There is a tendency well quite a few really to attack religions for what they don't do, what's done in their name, because their members get up to stuff they shouldn't etc etc etc and sometimes for things they haven't done and probably never will do.

Which makes any religion the RFL, God the always absent President and anyone else the missing marketing people.

But no one is weak because they believe nor deluded for the same reason.

"It is, by a million miles, a better sport than union. League is 80 minutes of physicality, speed, good handling, good kicking. It’s continuous."

I find it very Strange that Americans in particular are so strong in believing the old imaginery Figure.  Even more so when they have something like Cancer. They seem so obsessed that he is helping them in some way.

I see no evidence at all of anything/anybody being out their to help an idividual or the human race. I see many tears, hard ships and suffering. Yet no help or sign that a God or whatever cares or even notices.

I just feel people are being manipulated to believe there is something, when the evidence suggest there is nothing. Greed Selfishness people use people to make money and have power.