Great RL Photos

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Fartown's "Famous 4 Fijians", John Ravitale, Tom Waqabaca, Joe Saukura and Tomasi Naidole who switched codes in 1964 to become the 1st Fijians to play Rugby League in the UK.

57390029_2161083073977752_3415152007147683840_o.jpg

Not sure how that beats the Fijians Orisi Dawai and Josefa Levula who signed in 1961 for Rochdale, but still a good photo.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not sure how that beats the Fijians Orisi Dawai and Josefa Levula who signed in 1961 for Rochdale, but still a good photo.

They might have been the 1st cross code ones then i may have got mistaken.

12 minutes ago, daz39 said:

They might have been the 1st cross code ones then i may have got mistaken.

Josefa "Joe" Levula caught the eye of RL scouts in the Fifties, but political pressure made it impossible for players from Fiji to play professionally abroad. As soon as those restrictions were relaxed, Rochdale swooped for him and Orisi Dawai. More followed, and several members of the Levula family have turned out for Rochdale since. Quite a few have been called Joe, which makes things awkward for statisticians.

The original Joe set down roots in the UK and died here in 1989. Rochdale still has the largest Fijian population in the UK after London.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Is the person interviewing Eddie Waring ?

yes

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

First post for me, so apols if this is the wrong thread for this. But I'm currently in the process of scanning some black and white photos my brother took when we went the last match at Wilderspool. I've recently rediscovered them in some of our late dad's possessions. Not sure they class as great, but probably more just of sentimental value. But if anyone wants any more up when I've got them scanned I would be happy to oblige?

20200308_160130.jpg

Edited by IamDeathside
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, IamDeathside said:

First post for me, so apols if this is the wrong thread for this. But I'm currently in the process of scanning some black and white photos my brother took when we went the last match at Wilderspool. I've recently rediscovered them in some of our late dad's possessions. Not sure they class as great, but probably more just of sentimental value. But if anyone wants any more up when I've got them scanned I would be happy to oblige?

20200308_160130.jpg

There was something about the old Wilderspool ground that was really intimidating.  I think it was the high nature of that stand in the picture that made it imposing.

Of course the team in the late 80's helped as well!

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, M j M said:

GBRL and a BOAC VC-10. Not sure which bit I love more.

https://prints.paimages.co.uk/p/142/rugby-league-great-britain-heathrow-london-13121068.jpg.webp

Ah, so this is where the trend of taking massive bags as carry on started! Rugby League really is to blame for everything. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 08/03/2020 at 17:13, Dunbar said:

There was something about the old Wilderspool ground that was really intimidating.  I think it was the high nature of that stand in the picture that made it imposing.

Of course the team in the late 80's helped as well!

Didn't that stand get condemned and off limits  to the crowd before Wilderspool itself closed down ??

On 29/03/2020 at 16:56, M j M said:

GBRL and a BOAC VC-10. Not sure which bit I love more.

https://prints.paimages.co.uk/p/142/rugby-league-great-britain-heathrow-london-13121068.jpg.webp

The last team from these shore's to win a Ashes Test Series, there was some outstanding player's in that squad. With the state of the game nowadays, irrespective of the current situation, it's hard to envisage us ever winning one again.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Happy birthday Henderson Gill - 60 today!

spacer.png

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Happy birthday Henderson Gill - 60 today!

spacer.png

All hail the Boogie Man!

• Like 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson