Obituary Thread

2 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Rest in Peace Yosser. IMO best programme BBC ever screened.

I remember the first time I watched 'No Surrender' (another Bleasdale classic) and Bernard played the part of a bouncer. He repeatedly insisted that the intonation on his name was 'Ber-NARD' because he'd been in the French Foreign Legion.

When someone pleaded with him "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover", the deadpan, innocent delivery from Bernard was "I do, I can't read". 

Incidentally, Bernard was also a regular at the quiz in the Cat and Lion in Stretton, Warrington and always had time for people. He must have been sick of people saying "gizzajob" but you wouldn't know it.

RIP Ber-NARD, you legend.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

He will always be remembered as Yosser, a part he played brilliantly, but was a fine actor in many other roles.

RIP Bernard.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Posted (edited)

Footballer Viv Busby, 74.

A striker, Slough-born Busby is best known for his time at Fulham. He was in the Cottagers side beaten, at Wembley, by West Ham, in the final of the 1975 FA Cup.

In 2022, Busby was inducted into the Forever Fulham hall of fame.

During a career spanning 1966 to 1983, Busby played also for Wycombe, Luton, Newcastle, Norwich, Stoke, Tulsa, Blackburn and York. He coached at York, Sunderland and Fulham, and managed Hartlepool and York. Before emigrating to Spain, Busby was involved with Gretna (academy manager) and Workington (assistant manager).

Edited by Hopping Mad

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

59 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Loved Big Black. Name of his next band was hard to take. Thankfully only lasted one album. All the Shellac records are worth having.

Surfer Rosa was the one that made his name as a producer and engineer. Never sounds as powerful on CD. My vinyl copy still packs a fearsome punch.

• Like 1

Roger Corman, aged 98. Not only a cinematic legend in his own right, but a man who nurtured some of Hollywood's top talent when they started out.

So long, and thanks for all the flicks.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/roger-corman-dead-producer-independent-b-movie-1235999591/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Susan Backlinie, best known for being the first victim in Jaws.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 12/05/2024 at 17:49, Futtocks said:

Susan Backlinie, best known for being the first victim in Jaws.

And she's only just died? 

Remarkable, just goes to show sharks aren't quite as dangerous as some people think.

• Sad 1
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I was reading the obituary of James Laurenson , one of those you know him when you see him . Fans of Sharpe will remember him and he was in a good episode of Midsomer Murders 

Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi, in a helicopter crash.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi, in a helicopter crash.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Really weird one timing wise, as his name had just had a few days of trending about some of the odd (lying) things he did around the time of Super Size Me.

53 is far too young.

• Like 3