World Cup venues announcement

Hope the M6 roadworks are completed beyond junction 3 by the time this comp starts as Coventry is a pain to leave....I was there last week taking my lad to Cambridge University and it was challenging to say the least.

Also No wigan no man city stadiums.....

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could put the tickets on sale now, we know how many games each ground are gonna have and at what stage they will be so suppose it doesnt really matter which teams will be playing there.  As people are saying on here (and bare in mind this is being aimed at like minded people) we will be going to as many games as possible regardless of who are playing!

2 minutes ago, Cdd said:

I’ll be going to as many games as possible.

BUT

No games at Wembley is a very poor decision.

No games in Wigan is a very poor decision.

Not building on the success of Bristol in 2013 is a very poor decision.

2013 we had games at The Millenium Stadium and Wembley and now we’ll be at Brammal Lane and Middleborough instead. Weird choices.

Also don’t see the point in Workington, at a time when we should be massively growing the profile of this tournament surely there are better fits than Cumbria.

Try to grow the profile of the game - I agree with. But not seeing the point of taking games to an area where RL still thrives despite not having a SL team......? I don't think you've judged this right.

Mens venues:

Manchester (Old Trafford – Final)

London (Emirates – SF)

Leeds (Elland Road - SF)

Liverpool (Anfield - QF)

Hull (FC - QF)

Huddersfield (QF)

Bolton (QF)

Newcastle - England game (Opening match)

Sheffield Bramall Lane - England game 

Bolton - England game

Other venues for group games

Warrington x 3 Group games

Leigh x 3 Group games

St Helens x 3 Group games

Leeds (Headingley) x 3 Group games

Doncaster x 3 Group games

Workington (New Stadium) x 3 Group games

Middlesbrough

Coventry

Any advance on the above?

I was very fortunate last time around as My son was one of the 3 lucky winners who devised the mascot "Grubber"..We got a private box on the 25 yard line.All inclusive food and drink.. The rugby league were magnificent.Prior to the final we got tickets at Hull KR for the unveiling of the mascot prior to the England v France game and also at Salford for the second England V France game....

James Lowes was brilliant with the kids.....He showed us round the changing rooms and we met the players.....

1 minute ago, Hopping Mad said:

Just one, I think. Teesside University has a rugby league team, though judging by recent stats it's having trouble raising a XIII.

That's disappointing.  Hopefully they target a bit of growth there now in the build-up to the World Cup.  Personally, I don't agree with having a match in a place with (almost) zero RL presence.  Would have seen more benefit in moving it up to Kingston Park in Newcastle, where they amateur game is thriving at the moment (yes I know, SJP got two games, but still).

I think the whole announcement and presentation has been great and a major step up on what we have been used to. It feels far more prestigious and feels like the tournament has stepped up a few levels.

I think Newcastle for the opener is great and in many ways was a no brained. A big stadium and certainly big enough to make an impact and get the tournament off to a good start whilst not too big to have empty seats. Arsenal for a semi is a great choice too. A good spread of games should mean we aren't relying on the same fans too.

It seems strange no Wigan, particularly from an attendance point of view and this is all the more strange when there is a game in Leigh. Im also not sure about a game in Workington, purely as I think the stadium is way off World Cup standard, but can see why they want a game in Cumbria.

Some good announcements; some less so. I am not a fan of 3 x games at my own club’s ground... think they may have been too cautious with the scale of the England group games as well, plus no game in the South West. 

The Emirates, Coventry and the Opener in Newcastle are good news though. Can’t wait to start buying some tickets! 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I think the whole announcement and presentation has been great and a major step up on what we have been used to. It feels far more prestigious and feels like the tournament has stepped up a few levels.

I think Newcastle for the opener is great and in many ways was a no brained. A big stadium and certainly big enough to make an impact and get the tournament off to a good start whilst not too big to have empty seats. Arsenal for a semi is a great choice too. A good spread of games should mean we aren't relying on the same fans too.

It seems strange no Wigan, particularly from an attendance point of view and this is all the more strange when there is a game in Leigh. Im also not sure about a game in Workington, purely as I think the stadium is way off World Cup standard, but can see why they want a game in Cumbria.

I think its supposed to be a brand new one?

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It means Cumbria will now get a modern rugby stadium fit for the future. Reason enough for me. 

Yup. If the stadium falls through like it did in 2013 though the games simply must be taken elsewhere. And I say that as somebody who went to Workington and enjoyed it.

14 minutes ago, Cdd said:

lso don’t see the point in Workington, at a time when we should be massively growing the profile of this tournament surely there are better fits than Cumbria.

Nice one , good contribution . Come up here and see how folk take to these things and pack out the grounds . Starved off this most of the time so and the people from all over buy into it massively . This is a huge rugby area so hopefully you can see a tiny positive 

1 minute ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I can't understand this love affair with Leigh.Is it right that there are 3 games there and 3 at Doncaster?

If it is ,why not spread it out.Wigan,Rochdale and Halifax all sold out last time.

Im happy with 3 games in Doncaster but thats from a selfish point of view, its only a quick train ride from Hull so will be going to all 3 games! :biggrin:

Just now, scotchy1 said:

750k means 640k outside those England group games. A 25k average seems very very ambitious if we are only averaging 33k for England matches.

I was hoping somebody would post the capacities, will have a look later.

If England get through to the final and they sellout, that could account for 300k. 450k for non-marquee games is ambitious, but we need to sell Samoa, Tonga, Kiwis, Kangaroos into these towns and cities.

Whilst geographically it may lack ambition, crowd wise it doesn't.

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Do we know the projected capacity of the new Workington stadium? I cant imagine its gonna be that big.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I can't understand this love affair with Leigh.Is it right that there are 3 games there and 3 at Doncaster?

If it is ,why not spread it out.Wigan,Rochdale and Halifax all sold out last time.

Did they bid and what package did they put to the organisers.

This is not Justus going renting stadiums.

Archived